Why Doesn't/didn't Beasley Get The Same Respect As Clowney?

Maybe he can play some Tight End for Dallas laugh.png

For the record I have nothing against Clowney. I can't control what other people have to say about him, but that wasn't really the point of this thread. Just seems odd that Clowney got so much more attention just because he's a little bigger.

Eh, happens every year. Compare Leonard Williams to Grady Jarrett. Jarett is the same weight, was only 0.09s slower in the 40, yet was 0.22s faster in the 3 cone. Jarrett also had more TFL's on the season. Williams had more sacks, at 7 total, so nothing astronomical. Yet Williams is 4" taller with 2" longer arms. Williams goes top 5 while Jarrett goes in the 5th.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, happens every year. Compare Leonard Williams to Grady Jarrett. Jarett is the same weight, was only 0.09s slower in the 40, yet was 0.22s faster in the 3 cone. Jarrett also had more TFL's on the season. Williams had more sacks, at 7 total, so nothing astronomical. Yet Williams is 4" taller with 2" longer arms. Williams goes top 5 while Jarrett goes in the 5th.

thanks for the info. interesting...

hmmm wouldn't it be something if Jarrett outplays Williams... But look at the jets just stacked at Dline now...

the only reason alot of people(not only here) bash Clowney is because 1) he was injured in his first season(some are silly enough to call him a bust) 2)simply because he's not a Falcon.

It's always simple to bash a hyped player like Clowney when he gets injured. Had he been able to stay healthy and get or come close to double digit sacks, this wouldn't even be a debate

Nah. They're bashing him because last year the debate was Matthews v Clowney and it was just as heated as this year's version, Gurley v Edge Rusher. People let their butts get hurt in silly hypothetical arguments against other posters and will use every opportunity for the next five years to continue to prove that they were right. I let go of the pre-draft wish list the moment after we make our selections and start rooting for the ones we got. I have better things to do than to bring down the ones that got away.

Nah. They're bashing him because last year the debate was Matthews v Clowney and it was just as heated as this year's version, Gurley v Edge Rusher. People let their butts get hurt in silly hypothetical arguments against other posters and will use every opportunity for the next five years to continue to prove that they were right. I let go of the pre-draft wish list the moment after we make our selections and start rooting for the ones we got. I have better things to do than to bring down the ones that got away.

in a perfect world that's what every fan should do but instead you have people that only wanna ***** and groan because the team case someone they didn't have on their wish list. I didn't want Beasley but I was over it in 2 minutes lol.

It's good to have guys like you around. It gets so tiring reading all the crying and constant(thankfully they are slowly dying) Gurley debates that keep getting brought up

4VfaFPL.jpg

Who gives a rats asz about all the press that Clowney got.

Has the guy even played a notable game yet?

The only thing that matters is the game day results, and my money is on

the Beasz!

Sadly he had a good game against us and Hit Ryan hard on one play... he got injured the next game or so i think.

in a perfect world that's what every fan should do but instead you have people that only wanna ***** and groan because the team case someone they didn't have on their wish list. I didn't want Beasley but I was over it in 2 minutes lol.

It's good to have guys like you around. It gets so tiring reading all the crying and constant(thankfully they are slowly dying) Gurley debates that keep getting brought up

Who/what did you want at 8 instead?

Beasley was my draft crush this year but there is no way in **** that he, as a prospect, was better than Clowney as a prospect.

I will post some facts that should be considered before making a statement regarding who is/was the better prospect. Originally I thought it was Clowney by a wide margin, primarily due to the hype. After really drilling down into the 2 as prospects, there is a case to be made that Beasley is the better prospect of the 2.

Vic Beasley prior to this past college season staked his claim as better, thought it was a worthwhile read here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000395306/article/vic-beasley-says-hes-better-than-jadeveon-clowney

Impact Play Comparison (Vic Beasley left - Jadeveon Clowney right) (last 2 seasons for each)

Sacks - 25 to 16

FF's - 6 to 4

TFL's - 44.5 to 35

Vic Beasley has the advantage when it comes to college production. He had 9 more sacks, 2 more FF's, and 9.5 more TFL's over the course of his last 2 seasons. I know Clowney had a down season in his last year, but even if you compare their single best college season, Beasley only had 0.5 less TFL's with the same number of sacks and same number of hurries. Beasley had 1 more FF and 4 more PD's, which more than makes up for the 0.5 less TFL. So statistically, Beasley's best season was better than Clowney's best college season.

Combine Comparison (Vic left - Clowney right)

40 yd - 4.53 to 4.53

Bench 225 - 35 to 21

Vert - 41 to 37.5

Broad - 130 to 124

3 Cone - 6.91 to 7.27

20 yd Shuttle - 4.15 to 4.43

Vic Beasley actually outperformed Clowney on every test except the tie in the 40 yard dash. He was far better on the benchpress (14 more reps), with very significant differences in the jump and agility tests as well. Beasley had a 3.5" advantage in the vertical, 6" advantage in the broad jump, 0.36s advantage in the 3 cone, and 0.28s advantage in the 20 yd shuttle. Those are pretty wide margins for those workouts, and all in favor of Beasley.

From physical traits, Clowney has the advantage without question. Clowney measured in at 3" taller (6'3" vs 6'6"), 2" longer arms, 20lbs heavier, and 5/8" bigger hands.

The question is, does Beasley's advantage in production and workouts close the gap between Clowney's physical trait advantages? I would actually give Beasley the edge because of having 2 years of consistent production to go on top of the workout numbers vs Clowney doing it one year and then having a down year due to injury. The physical traits for Clowney can't be ignored, but it's a lot closer comparison than what people think based on the hype.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

It's high school footage so I'm sure it means nothing to yall but dude was a man amongst boys. He so deserved all the hype he received

MY GOD! He was better in high school than our entire defense was these last two years. Not even an exaggeration.

Well at least it wasn't someone ridiculous like Dupree, lol can't believe people believed he'd go top 10 before Beasley.

that's afmb for ya lol. Guys who appear to look the nfl part are called overrated or bust and average players get called potential pro bowlers

Unless I believe the pick is just bad, I turn the page and move on. Everyone knows I was all over the new Steelers olb, but he's not a Falcon. So now: screw him!

I can't fully support drafting Collins, because I do believe that was a bad pick. There is a laundry list of better players who play positions of need that we could have had. Only 10 starts, and weed issues scares me for a second round pick.

But I am not like RamsFanSince2015. Thank goodness for that.

Unless I believe the pick is just bad, I turn the page and move on. Everyone knows I was all over the new Steelers olb, but he's not a Falcon. So now: screw him!

I can't fully support drafting Collins, because I do believe that was a bad pick. There is a laundry list of better players who play positions of need that we could have had. Only 10 starts, and weed issues scares me for a second round pick.

But I am not like RamsFanSince2015. Thank goodness for that.

turning the page and moving on is better than complaining because things didn't go your way

Archived