Why Doesn't/didn't Beasley Get The Same Respect As Clowney?

Except that he has no cartilage in his knee- that's what microfracture is for- to be a sub for cartilage. Be really surprised if he's able to be dominant with that.

Him being injured now has nothing to do with him as a prospect. Its like if Beasley gets the same injury. It doesn't change the fact he was an awesome pass rushing prospect coming out.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Him being injured now has nothing to do with him as a prospect. Its like if Beasley gets the same injury. It doesn't change the fact he was an awesome pass rushing prospect coming out.

OK, wasn't hating on him myself, just thought the cost was too great to move up last year. And not being able to move from prospect to player is a big deal.

nasty hit. But the Texans didn't take him first overall cause of one hit

I know. But the Cult of Personality elevated him to college football godhood after that. The hit brought the nut huggers out of the woodwork and celebrity translates into endorsements, which translate into money. It doesn't hurt to be well known.

What is this thing in Atlanta where fans want the respect on paper, but no one seems to be talking about getting respect on the field? Who cares about what people say about you. They don't like the Falcons, and we should just be real about that and become that team that wants the hate.

What is this thing in Atlanta where fans want the respect on paper, but no one seems to be talking about getting respect on the field? Who cares about what people say about you. They don't like the Falcons, and we should just be real about that and become that team that wants the hate.

Ironically, we had a lot of respect the season after 'finishing 10 yards short of the Super Bowl'. Fat lot of good 'respect' did for us. Me? I want it after the season, not before the games are played.

Ironically, we had a lot of respect the season after 'finishing 10 yards short of the Super Bowl'. Fat lot of good 'respect' did for us. Me? I want it after the season, not before the games are played.

Exactly. Paper tigers isn't my thing. I want to see it on the field. Show and prove, never wait for a man to hand respect to you, if he does you better check to see the bottom line on it.

Was he a beast when he failed to be a first team All American his final year in college? Was he a beast when he failed to be a second team All American his final year in college? Was he a beast when he had all of FOUR sacks his final year of college? Was he a beast when his own coach basically said he was lazy and not committed to football? Was he a beast when he unashamedly lobbied for teams to draft him as the number one pick? Was he a beast his first year in the NFL?

He is as freaking overrated as they come. I respect you ya_boi_j but I don't give a flying frig about how he did in high school. Virtually EVERY NFL player should have been a "beast" (most overused term in the history of TATF) in high school.

He was a beast before his senior year the stats are there so stop trying to deny it.

I will never understand the need to bash another talented player, to prop up a completely different one. Clowney is a freak. There was a reason he was the #1 overall pick. Beasley is awesome too.

It's like the Gurley bashing all over again.

Clowney has the talent to be one of the best players on defense in the league period. I just had my doubts then and have them even more now that he'll ever actually reach that level. Which is a shame, and I'm not bashing him here, but it is what it is.

I will never understand the need to bash another talented player, to prop up a completely different one. Clowney is a freak. There was a reason he was the #1 overall pick. Beasley is awesome too.

It's like the Gurley bashing all over again.

the only reason alot of people(not only here) bash Clowney is because 1) he was injured in his first season(some are silly enough to call him a bust) 2)simply because he's not a Falcon.

It's always simple to bash a hyped player like Clowney when he gets injured. Had he been able to stay healthy and get or come close to double digit sacks, this wouldn't even be a debate

Isn't Clowney like 4 inches and 30 pounds bigger than Vic? I love Beasley but Clowney is a plain athletic mutant.

Difference of 2 inches and 20 lbs. Still ran the same. Beasley stronger and more athletic.

Whatever the reason may have been, I'm grateful it allowed him to fall to us.

Difference of 2 inches and 20 lbs. Still ran the same. Beasley stronger and more athletic.

Running the same time, whether Clowney is 20 or 30 pounds heavier, is pretty amazing mate, especially since Beasley was so impressive in that as well.

I didn't want Clowney, for the record, and I'd probably pick Beasley over him straight up, but Clowney had one of if not the best combine ever. He had the size of a DE with the athleticism of a DB. That doesn't come around very often.

Why would you EXPECT the same amount of respect ?

Beasley is TWICE the Pure Football Player as the Clown Dog ever dreamed of being.

So..........people who KNOW football......not the phonies who pretend.......would only naturally show TWICE the respect for Beasley.

Hope this clears up the situation.

I thought they had a 30lb difference. The main thing was Clowney's size/athleticism combination. It's rare for a player to weigh in over 270lbs and demonstrate that level of athleticism.

That being said, how many 6'3" 240lb players are able to do 35 reps of 225lbs, run a 40 in 4.5, and the 3 cone in sub-7 seconds? And this is why I don't understand the hype around Randy Gregory. Gregory was 10lbs lighter and 2" taller. He was .1s slower in the 40, 11 less reps of 225lb, 5" less on the vertical, 5" less on the broad jump, all while weighing 10 less lbs. On top of that, Beasley had almost 3 times as many TFL's and 5 more sacks. I can't understand why people were even putting him in the same conversation as Beasley. Against ranked teams, Gregory had 0.5 sacks with only 2 TFL's in 3 games. Beasley had 4 sacks with 8 TFL's in 4 games against ranked teams. Not to mention Beasley had 6 of those TFL's come against 3 top 10 teams. Gregory had 0 sacks and 0.5 TFL's against the only top 10 team they played.

I am completely dumbfounded regarding the hype around Gregory. Even if you count the 2013 season, Gregory had 1 sack and 2.5 TFL's against 2 ranked opponents. Beasley had 3 sacks and 6 TFL's in 3 games against ranked opponents in 2013. Gregory should not be in the same conversation as Beasley. Gregory was a stretch as a 2nd rounder as far as I'm concerned, lacking the on-field production combined with character concerns.

I thought they had a 30lb difference. The main thing was Clowney's size/athleticism combination. It's rare for a player to weigh in over 270lbs and demonstrate that level of athleticism.

That being said, how many 6'3" 240lb players are able to do 35 reps of 225lbs, run a 40 in 4.5, and the 3 cone in sub-7 seconds? And this is why I don't understand the hype around Randy Gregory. Gregory was 10lbs lighter and 2" taller. He was .1s slower in the 40, 11 less reps of 225lb, 5" less on the vertical, 5" less on the broad jump, all while weighing 10 less lbs. On top of that, Beasley had almost 3 times as many TFL's and 5 more sacks. I can't understand why people were even putting him in the same conversation as Beasley. Against ranked teams, Gregory had 0.5 sacks with only 2 TFL's in 3 games. Beasley had 4 sacks with 8 TFL's in 4 games against ranked teams. Not to mention Beasley had 6 of those TFL's come against 3 top 10 teams. Gregory had 0 sacks and 0.5 TFL's against the only top 10 team they played.

I am completely dumbfounded regarding the hype around Gregory. Even if you count the 2013 season, Gregory had 1 sack and 2.5 TFL's against 2 ranked opponents. Beasley had 3 sacks and 6 TFL's in 3 games against ranked opponents in 2013. Gregory should not be in the same conversation as Beasley. Gregory was a stretch as a 2nd rounder as far as I'm concerned, lacking the on-field production combined with character concerns.

Maybe he can play some Tight End for Dallas laugh.png

For the record I have nothing against Clowney. I can't control what other people have to say about him, but that wasn't really the point of this thread. Just seems odd that Clowney got so much more attention just because he's a little bigger.

I've always felt Clowney was HUGELY overrated, mostly by the media. He wasn't even a first or second team All-American, his final year in college was well below average, and even his own coach questioned his work ethic and dedication to the game. Yet virtually all the media "journalists" fell all over themselves declaring him the once in a generation talent.blink.png

Not just media types. There were hundredss of TATF clowns wanting to tank the 2013 season for Clowney.

Archived