Draft Analysis: Td Was Not The Problem, Smitty Was

gazoo

In other words, TD should have compensated for Mike Smith lack of vision and direction...Taken control of the ship, picked up players that he thought would be good and then design a scheme for Smith and told him to run it? You see how silly that sounds?

no. none of TD's failed draft picks have gone onto better things with a better coach elsewhere - talent is talent - there was a deficiency of talent on the Falcon's roster - Mike Smith's lack of defensive identity did not preclude Dimitroff from finding talented players.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will never forget last year, during preseason, having all kinds of mixed signals on what our identity was and what kind of defense we were implementing. Right up to the first game of the season, the

Yeah, after a while we lost our identity. Started strong and Smitty lost his way. I appreciate him for turning this into a winning franchise and giving us expectations, but it was definitely time to m

people here wont give TD any credit, this draft was all Quinn and Pioli

no. none of TD's failed draft picks have gone onto better things with a better coach elsewhere - talent is talent - there was a deficiency of talent on the Falcon's roster - Mike Smith's lack of defensive identity did not preclude Dimitroff from finding talented players.

Several of the so called failed draft picks were injured like Jerry, Mike Johnson and Weatherspoon... But Lofton, Chris Owens, Thomas Decoud, Vance Walker when on to either start of play prominent roles on their new teams. Weatherspoon, Corey Peters, And J Rogers will play prominent roles on their new team. Jonnathan Mossiqoui might even surprise so I think that your statement is false

The thing is it didn't fall apart so much as we took a gamble and lost. I think that's as much on Dimitroff as Smitty (I'm still convinced Dimitroff was behind the Julio trade), but it almost worked. And I'm convinced we'd have beaten the Ravens in the Super Bowl. We just couldn't get past the Niners because of our putrid defense.

Having said that, what happened after 2012 is primarily on Smitty. It wasn't "when it came time to be a championship team" to me. It was more "when it came time to put the pieces back together after our window closed." They could have concentrated heavily on defense and pass rush, but instead we went and got Jackson and re-signed Gonzo. Both were huge mistakes. At that point it was time to rebuild the defense, and we doubled down on offense instead. Add to that the fact that Smitty apparently thought we didn't need a better d-line, better linebackers, a better o-line, etc., and you had the makings of 2 losing seasons in a row.

I'm glad Smitty is gone for the this reason alone. It is beyond frustrating & disheartening when you realize that your Def has a better chance of forcing a turnover than stopping your opponents' scoring drives, especially on 3rd down, where we got eaten alive. It was unbearable to watch & I don't want to think about another season of the same script, HC, etc.

Several of the so called failed draft picks were injured like Jerry, Mike Johnson and Weatherspoon... But Lofton, Chris Owens, Thomas Decoud, Vance Walker when on to either start of play prominent roles on their new teams. Weatherspoon, Corey Peters, And J Rogers will play prominent roles on their new team. Jonnathan Mossiqoui might even surprise so I think that your statement is false

you are delusional.

Aversion to young players? See Matt Ryan, Brent Grimes, Bierman, Spoon, Wiley Mo, jake Matthews, worrilow, Trufant ...there's an endless list of young players with NFL starting caliber talent who succeeded under smith

Players that needed to play, played. Others that flashed but sat behind veterans didn't play.

Look at our roster ages over the last 5 years. We've consistently been in the bottom ten of oldest rosters.

I think we could follow a lot of drafts of GMs and find similar results. Teams rarely let go of their superstars. You're not going to find a lot of players leave their teams and blow it up somewhere else. For every Drew Brees there a a dozen or so Greg Jennings and Ray Edwards types.

I think we could follow a lot of drafts of GMs and find similar results. Teams rarely let go of their superstars. You're not going to find a lot of players leave their teams and blow it up somewhere else. For every Drew Brees there a a dozen or so Greg Jennings and Ray Edwards types.

You're right. And thats the result of fandom tunnelvision.

They've done analysis of this sort of thing. Our FO has consistently been in the top 1/4-1/3 of the league in terms of drafting players that stay in the league and contribute. We haven't hit as many homeruns as some of those other, similarly situated, teams. Why? Any number of reasons.

Smitty brought us the stability and attitude we needed after a disastrous 2007 season....he brought us 5 winning seasons in a row, 4 out 5 playoff appearances, and our first ever hosted NLC game (which, I might add we almost won).....he was what we needed when we needed it. Unfortunately, he failed to grow with the ever evolving game and it was obvious (to even the most hardcore Smitty fan) that it was time for him to move on. We got an awesome replacement who seems to be doing things right, so I'm happy with how things have turned out. BUT like it or not, for his time, Smitty was one of our most successful HCs.....anyone who says different is just being contrary.

Not sure who you thought should have played more, or you one of those Mass fan club members? Look around, he's gone.

What has D-led ever been right about? I've racked my brain, can't come up with anything of substance

Do the research yourself- you simply have decided that DLed sucks and ignore anything he's right about. There's a lot of hating the messenger going on with DLed.

Just because DLed says it doesn't mean it's automatically wrong.

There is no gray area here. Spoon and Peters are expected to start at ILB and DE respectively for the Cards. Lofton is expected to start at MLB for the Raiders. There is currently nobody above any of those players on any team's depth chart. The end.

As for you not making that thread, is there another g-dawg on these boards we don't know about?

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4021216-here-is-the-problem/

Amusing how this was completely ignored. But not surprising.

The thing is it didn't fall apart so much as we took a gamble and lost. I think that's as much on Dimitroff as Smitty (I'm still convinced Dimitroff was behind the Julio trade), but it almost worked.

I agree it was doubtful that Smitty had much to do with the Julio trade. That one had Blank written all over it. But I'm willing to lump the blame on TD if we have to choose between only the GM and HC as its author.

There is no gray area here. Spoon and Peters are expected to start at ILB and DE respectively for the Cards. Lofton is expected to start at MLB for the Raiders. There is currently nobody above any of those players on any team's depth chart. The end.

As for you not making that thread, is there another g-dawg on these boards we don't know about?

lol

proof I did not make this thread:

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4027840-draft-analysis-td-was-not-the-problem-smitty-was/

That's super. But I never claimed you made this thread.

I claimed you were full of sh*t about there only being two players that TD has drafted who would start for another NFL team and that the primary the reason you don't like TD is because you don't like the way he looks or something. You tried running away from both claims. That didn't work. Now you're deflecting.

This is fun.

What a *****', Dimitroff is....he needs to just shut the F-up. Bradley nailed it here.

Finally, the Falcons take a direct route to rushing the passer

May 1, 2015 | Filed in: AJC Sports, Atlanta Falcons / NFL.
nfl-draft-football_brad.jpg?w=640

Vic Beasley with the commish. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

Flowery Branch — The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. The easiest way to have a great pass rush is to employ a great pass rusher. Funny that it took the Atlanta Falcons this long to figure that out.

Actually, not funny. Sad. But happier days could be at hand.

Vic Beasley has the capacity to be what the Falcons have long lacked — a consistent source of pressure. (John Abraham was capable of bringing pressure, but nobody would describe him as consistent. When he was good, he was very good. When he wasn’t, he was invisible.)

This was Thomas Dimitroff, still the general manager, speaking Thursday night: “It’s nice to know that we’re adding pass rush to this defense. For me personally to see that happen, being around here since 2008 and (seeing) Dan’s approach to defense with a guy like that in tow, is going to be a nice addition for us.”

To these ears, that sounded disingenuous. Dimitroff has been GM since 2008. He was in charge of scouting and drafting for seven years. (He isn’t now, though he retains final say over the draft itself. Although new coach Dan Quinn has final say over the roster. Feel free to diagram that organizational chart.) For most of those seven years, Dimitroff insisted he and former coach Mike Smith — whom Dimitroff helped hire — were “simpatico.”

In the continuing absence of a pass rush, Smith would tell us media types that sacks were “overrated.” Which isn’t to say they’d have been unwanted. Had Dimitroff been able to find a true pass rusher, I feel reasonably certain Smith would have found use for him.

Ah, well. Ancient history now. Vic Beasley should bring the big heat, and we should be able to move past the failed trials of draftees Lawrence Sidbury and Jonathan Massaquoi and the free-agent duds Ray Edwards and Osi Umenyiora. We forget the days of Mike Nolan trying to scheme around the lack of a pass rusher by saying he’d rather have “10 guys with four sacks than four with 10 each.”

It’s to Mike Smith’s credit that he won as many games as he did — 56 in his first five seasons — without a pass rush, or much of a defense. It’s a source of enduring mystery that this career defensive man allowed his defense to remain substandard.

Maybe Dimitroff didn’t find him the right players. Maybe Smith didn’t insist on having the right players. Whatever the case, there was no such disconnect with the first pick of Quinn’s stewardship. This defensive man wanted a pass rusher, and he got him.

Missed this when it was new in the AJC, and I absolutely love it. I would just add two things.

Bradley's choice and use of the word 'disingenuous' is far too mild.

The 'simpatico' part ended with the 2011 draft. I'll let you guys work that one out for yourselves.

So while the team needed a pass rush and it was ignored, that ALL falls on Smitty??

They were both to blame. The organization was structured differently. I still believe TD is on the hot seat until Blank sees improvement in the team. Pioli can easily take over TD's position if need be (although I think TD would be better at managing the cap).

None of us will ever know what the real reason was that we didn't draft any pass rushers for the last few years that could've made a difference in my opinion

Missed this when it was new in the AJC, and I absolutely love it. I would just add two things.

Bradley's choice and use of the word 'disingenuous' is far too mild.

The 'simpatico' part ended with the 2011 draft. I'll let you guys work that one out for yourselves.

Joe my memory is bad, was 2011 the year we went out of character

left "the process" and made the Julio trade?

I always thought that was dictated by Arthur Blank but he said this year

he has never injected himself into the draft process. So I must have had

It wrong.

And Mike Smith was a perfectly fine hire. He, like almost every coach in the NFL, has strengths and weaknesses. As such, he was not going to be a FOREVER coach. THose guys are the exceptions, not the rules.

As for the personnel part, you don't have any clue what the personnel department looked like.

You don't know the individual scouts. You don't know their strengths or weaknesses. Their territories. What they're looking for.

You don't know how the loss of Snead and Caldwell affected things. You don't know who gives what input.

You simply don't. You can think you do. But you don't.

Maybe TD ****** these picks up. Maybe he was given bad information. Maybe he ignored good information. Maybe Mike Smith ****** these guys up. Maybe injuries ****** these guys up (at least two of them).

If football were as simple as ABC, everyone would be better at it and the draft wouldnt have a tiny success rate.

You're right, there's a lot we don't know. That is a totally valid and fair point.

Still, the buck stops with the GM. TD was the top dog, with full authority and clear responsibility. And while we don't know all the details of the inner workings, we do know one thing ...

The results were awful. And that is the bottom line.

Joe my memory is bad, was 2011 the year we went out of character

left "the process" and made the Julio trade?

I always thought that was dictated by Arthur Blank but he said this year

he has never injected himself into the draft process. So I must have had

It wrong.

Yes, Blank stated at the FO restructure presser that his input into personnel would "remain what it has always been - zero."

So, either the statements made by Dan Reeves regarding the Peerless Price acquisition - along with the mounds and mounds of other anecdotal evidence of Blank's meddling in personnel matters over the years - is false, or Blank is being disingenuous. I know what I believe.

Archived