Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gazoo

Draft Analysis: Td Was Not The Problem, Smitty Was

427 posts in this topic

I dunno what happened to Smitty, but he definitely lost his vision for this team. Or maybe there was some rift between him and TD and their communication sucked on what we needed, I dunno.

Whatever it was though, TD+Quinn >>>>> TD+Smitty. At least so far. Not sure anybody can argue that.

gazoo likes this

Absolutely Falcon Moore, we started off strong but Smitty lost his way the last 2 years.

I still give TD full credit for getting us a franchise QB, one of the best in the NFL. If you recall, Ryan was not a popular pick at top of draft any many pundits and fans here questioned the pick.

TD stated that it was a chalk board that made him realize what he had in Ryan. Our defensive coordinator drew up defensive fronts and asked Ryan how he would attack them, and Ryan dazzled them with quick answers that showed his ability to read defenses. After the draft, TD said the only person he ever saw perform that well on the chalk board was Tom Brady and TD said at that Monet there was no question who they were going to draft.

We have a franchise QB because of TD, period. If he had passed on Ryan we would still be regretting it.

A combination. But there are certainly Quinn/Seattle trademarks all over our picks. Agree?

definitely, but its a team effort to find and pick what the coach wants and needs.

Yeah it was def Mike Smith who wanted to trade farm for Julio Jones lol

Yep Mike Smith fault

I know you are being facetious, but that is who said we need to get "explosive" players and have more "explosive" plays after we got our doors blown off in the the packer playoff game. The thought of having a better defense never seemed like it was considered. Gazoo is right. TD got the type of players Smitty wanted and it was Smitty and Nolan who said last year get me some beef up front to stop the run and we will "scheme" a pass rush to show our genius. That was pure ego on their part, especially Nolan.

SyCo and jazzyburrell like this

Losing the NFCCG broke Smitty. He lost his nerve and his drive. It got pretty bad last year as he made terrible decisions with the clock. A year away from the game and he will be fine.

ryanATL1988 likes this

It think people REALLY downplay the injury issues the last two years we literally had 10+ players at key positions on IR each of the last two years. Smitty obviously was not talented enough to coach around those injuries but had we stayed healthy we probably would have gone to the playoffs the last two years.

In the end we are going to be better off now but it was directly related t the injuries as to why we have sucked the last two years.

I will never forget last year, during preseason, having all kinds of mixed signals on what our identity was and what kind of defense we were implementing. Right up to the first game of the season, there were conflicting reports in the media, conflicting statements made by our players, and even conflicting messages being stated between Smitty and Nolan. Smitty came out and "corrected Nolan" a week before the season started about being "multiple", whatever TF that means. How is TD supposed to get Smitty players when Smitty has given him no clear idea on what he needs?

Something happened in Flowery Branch as soon as Quinn was hired. Quinn came here with a very specific scheme, mindset and attitude. Quinn and TD watched endless hours of tape on current players and then Quinn gave TD clear cut directions on what he needed in players here. TD went out and stacked this team with exactly the kind of players Quinn asked for, both in FA and the draft and the entire NFL has taken notice.

The way I see things, certainly after this draft, is Smitty was clearly the problem here because this team became a rudderless vessel with Smitty as HC. We had no identity, no direction, didn't even know what kind of defense we were running. If you disagree, I challenge you to tell me what this teams personality was the last few years. If you say "soft" you'll be on the right track, that came from the head coach. If it came from TD it would still be here.

TD said in one of the first press conferences with Quinn that he was really excited about having such a clear cut direction on where Quinn wanted to take this team, he also made it clear he was getting Smitty the players Smitty was asking for last year.

TD showed he is fully capable of stacking this team with the kind of players the HC asks for.

I've been very critical of TD in the past, and he has made some really obvious mistakes, but I think he's not solely to blame, and he has learned from those mistakes.

I had a sinking feeling watching Hard Knocks last year that we would continue to be a soft, bad football team. Smitty did not appear to be a leader of men on that show.

JDaveG and falconidae like this

If you take my posts about this topic from the last 18 months, you'll see I was one of the very few who's made this argument repeatedly. People didn't want to listen until they actually saw it in action.

GM's do nothing but get what their HCs want. Can't do that if the HC doesn't even know what he wants.

Quinn and Td better be 10-6 or better this year like Mike Smith was when he took over this mess of a team and turned it into playoff team

Quinn coming into team with this elite QB and LT and wrs .

We should have been 8-8 just last year. Don't think adding two games to that should be difficult. Especially with the added talent and better coaches.

gazoo likes this

So 10-6 in playoffs this year ? 100 % ? Right Quinn is taking over a talented team right ?

Easy playoffs

10-6 and playoffs. I would make a bet but you won't be around to enjoy your punishment.

Barring injury, this team is 10-6.

gazoo likes this

I will never forget last year, during preseason, having all kinds of mixed signals on what our identity was and what kind of defense we were implementing. Right up to the first game of the season, there were conflicting reports in the media, conflicting statements made by our players, and even conflicting messages being stated between Smitty and Nolan. Smitty came out and "corrected Nolan" a week before the season started about being "multiple", whatever TF that means. How is TD supposed to get Smitty players when Smitty has given him no clear idea on what he needs?

Something happened in Flowery Branch as soon as Quinn was hired. Quinn came here with a very specific scheme, mindset and attitude. Quinn and TD watched endless hours of tape on current players and then Quinn gave TD clear cut directions on what he needed in players here. TD went out and stacked this team with exactly the kind of players Quinn asked for, both in FA and the draft and the entire NFL has taken notice.

The way I see things, certainly after this draft, is Smitty was clearly the problem here because this team became a rudderless vessel with Smitty as HC. We had no identity, no direction, didn't even know what kind of defense we were running. If you disagree, I challenge you to tell me what this teams personality was the last two years. If you say "soft" you'll be on the right track, that came from the head coach. If it came from TD it would still be here.

TD said in one of the first press conferences with Quinn that he was really excited about having such a clear cut direction on where Quinn wanted to take this team, he also made it clear he was getting Smitty the players Smitty was asking for last year.

TD showed he is fully capable of stacking this team with the kind of players the HC asks for.

Not true the problem was the problem but it was time for a change.

I dunno what happened to Smitty, but he definitely lost his vision for this team. Or maybe there was some rift between him and TD and their communication sucked on what we needed, I dunno.

Whatever it was though, TD+Quinn >>>>> TD+Smitty. At least so far. Not sure anybody can argue that.

How is the team better? They haven't even played yet. You guys are jumping the gun.

GvGrizzy likes this

How is the team better? They haven't even played yet. You guys are jumping the gun.

This draft was a great one. Maybe the players pan out, maybe not, but from what could be known at this point in time, this was a great draft.

falconidae and HASHBROWN3 like this

Quinn and Td better be 10-6 or better this year like Mike Smith was when he took over this mess of a team and turned it into playoff team

Quinn coming into team with this elite QB and LT and wrs .

Your plan last offseason to trade Ryan for picks and draft Johnny Football... can you expand on that a bit? It sounded intriguing.

If you take my posts about this topic from the last 18 months, you'll see I was one of the very few who's made this argument repeatedly. People didn't want to listen until they actually saw it in action.

GM's do nothing but get what their HCs want. Can't do that if the HC doesn't even know what he wants.

It was middle of the season last year that I detrmined the main problem was Smitty and I pointed to the confusionin preseason about what our identity was as an indicator. However, after free agency and the draft my opinion has been set in cement.