Odell Beckham Junior Will Never Have Another 1,000 Yard Season.

Willy Mo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll be good, but not great. It's admirable that you stand up for your LSU players. I try to do the same with BYU. I'm still holding out hope that Ziggy Ansah breaks the sack record someday.

Steve Young was simply riding Montana's coattails. wink.png

His hands and arm length are comparable to Amari Cooper and Kevin White in this year's draft. Most scouting reports coming out of college pointed out that his route running was not flawless, and that he "could sharpen the finer points of his route running". (Nolan Nawrocki, NFL.com) Draft Geek also talked about him getting knocked off his routes.

CBS Sports, NFL, and Football Outsiders all included "lacks elite speed" as OBJ weaknesses. This included being caught from behind by defensive backs. Another big one was concentration drops. I remember this was a big tidbit that Kiper stressed during last year's draft.

It's almost important to to remember that he offers absolutely nothing as a blocker. When people say he's undersized, it's not just the 5'11 height. He also lacks strength. I know WR blocking his something that is often overlooked, but to me it's what put Julio Jones over A.J. Green. A wideout who can double as a blocker is huge.

A huge pet peeve I had was with an otherwise fantastic catch against the Colts last year. I'm thinking "why is just extending the caught ball with one arm? To get yardage? It's hard to tell. Why isn't he securing it to his body with both hands? Going for style points?"

He'll be good, but not great. It's admirable that you stand up for your LSU players. I try to do the same with BYU. I'm still holding out hope that Ziggy Ansah breaks the sack record someday.

It's not about standing up for LSU players. I don't like guys just because they're out of LSU. OBJ was just my favorite receiver in the draft last year. His drop percentage in college was 6.4%. He had a lower drop percentage than Julio coming out of Alabama.

I simply know a lot about LSU players because I watch every game. I knew Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, Jeremy Hill, Jarvis Landry and OBJ would be stars. I liked Mo Claiborne coming out, I was wrong about him. Never cared for Tyson Jackson. I thought he was incredibly over rated. He never controlled a game like Glen Dorsey did at LSU. Kwon Alexander is going to be a beast in Tampa. Collins is going to beast in Dallas. Mingo will never do anything in Cleveland. He never did anything at LSU. Athletic freak, but not a football player.

OBJ is different though. If you feel that way, I can't do anything to chnage that. I think Jeremy Hill will be a good running back in the league for a bunch of years. I think Landey will be a solid, chain moving slot receiver in the mold of Welker. OBJ is different. He will go down as one of the best ever. Not because he went to LSU. Because he's Beck.

His hands and arm length are comparable to Amari Cooper and Kevin White in this year's draft. Most scouting reports coming out of college pointed out that his route running was not flawless, and that he "could sharpen the finer points of his route running". (Nolan Nawrocki, NFL.com) Draft Geek also talked about him getting knocked off his routes.

CBS Sports, NFL, and Football Outsiders all included "lacks elite speed" as OBJ weaknesses. This included being caught from behind by defensive backs. Another big one was concentration drops. I remember this was a big tidbit that Kiper stressed during last year's draft.

It's also important to to remember that he offers absolutely nothing as a blocker. When people say he's undersized, it's not just the 5'11 height. He also lacks strength. I know WR blocking his something that is often overlooked, but to me it's what put Julio Jones over A.J. Green. A wideout who can double as a blocker is huge.

A huge pet peeve I had was with an otherwise fantastic catch against the Colts last year. I'm thinking "why is he just extending the caught ball with one arm? To get yardage? It's hard to tell. Why isn't he securing it to his body with both hands? Going for style points?"

Sooo, you're basing almost all of your opinions of him according what a few dipsh*t draft analysts said about him before the draft? The same analysts who are proven wrong again, and again, and again, and again... year after year, after year, after year? Because, no offense, a lot of what you said in your OP was complete bologna. I saw OBJ do all those things (aside from blocking, didn't really pay attention to that) that you just said he couldn't by actually watching him. He cuts on a dime, runs extremely crisp routes, makes tough catches that required focus, makes the easy wide open catches, makes the catches with corners being "physical" and all up on him, and completely separates from defenders once he got a step on them... which he does very often.

Those same draftniks said Steve Smith would be nothing but a punt returner in the NFL, questioned his size, doubted his strength, and criticized his top end speed. Yeah, the same Steve Smith who was one of - if not the fastest player in the NFL in his prime, that routinely tossed around and out muscled players twice his size, and won the triple crown of receiving - not punt returning.

The only people who are really equipped to judge a player coming out of college are the actual organizations who are investing inordinate amounts of resources and time into scouting those players and every detail of their lives to see if they're a fit for their team. You know, the actual professionals who are in NFL front offices, and not writing his opinion on CBSsports as a part time job after watching a couple of games - if that. We were actually very interested in OBJ in the outside chance that he somehow fell to our pick... and Gettleman had him rated as by far the best route runner in the draft, as did the Giants. Nolan Nawrocki is one of the most stubborn, opinionated, and sorry excuses of a draftnik out there. He probably saw one play and made his mind up about OBJ's route-running.

Even after all that actual scouting and research, those NFL front offices are still wrong quite regularly... so what does that say about Joe Blow's opinion on "insert NFL article here"? It's not meant to be etched in stone. All of that pre draft noise is just that. Noise. It's meant for clicks, ratings, and entertainment for us common folk. People like to hear other people's opinions.

Edited by Born A-Ginn

I'm not an OBJ fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, and I think that catch was overrated as all heII, but the dude is legit. Screw his catch, it's what he did in his other dozens of plays that makes him special.

If he keeps doing what he was doing last year then he's already one of the best receivers in the league. If he improves like all receivers usually do? Lol, well... Eli is about to have a very nice end to his career.