With The Draft Over, I'm Curious About The O-Line

I think the biggest X-factor in our team at this point is the O-line. There are so many variables that come into play. Is Baker healthy? Who is suited for zone blocking and who isn't? Who starts at left guard? Baker? Konz? Person? Who starts at center? Who starts at right tackle?

The team didn't draft a single o-lineman until the 7th round. This means they either feel very good about who is in place, or they just couldn't get the right guy at the right time. I guess my question is, do you guys think this starting o-line can actually be successful for Ryan to be fully effective?

Matthews

Baker

Hawley

Asomoah

Schrader

Our line had many ups and downs last season. After the draft, with Dan Quinn at coach, I feel comfortable that our defense will be significantly better. But, this team is still built for the offense to win games, not the defense. The o line is going to be the difference between a 7-9 and 11-5 record. Thoughts?

Edited by JD dirtybird21

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the areas we needed to add quality players, OL was down the list a ways for me. We've got plenty of talent, assuming Mathews makes it back full speed. Hawley is going to excel in this system, and Shraeder also should excel. Holmes came into camp in shape and he also may excel. Asomoah is a quality starter, and we have plenty of guys in the wings. Not saying we can't use more talent here, but I think we'll be much better than people realize if we stay healthy. RB and WR were much bigger needs, and we got those covered.

I'm fine with the O-line outside of LG. Hopefully one of Konz, Baker, or Person steps up there, but I don't have much confidence in them.

And that's just it, 2 of those guys could actually end up being starters. Baker could start at LT and Matthews may get moved back to RT with Konz or Person at LG. Not saying that's likely, but it is possible

I think the biggest X-factor in our team at this point is the O-line. There are so many variables that come into play. Is Baker healthy? Who is suited for zone blocking and who isn't? Who starts at left guard? Baker? Konz? Person? Who starts at center? Who starts at right tackle?

The team didn't draft a single o-lineman until the 7th round. This means they either feel very good about who is in place, or they just couldn't get the right guy at the right time. I guess my question is, do you guys think this starting o-line can actually be successful for Ryan to be fully effective?

Matthews

Baker

Hawley

Asomoah

Schrader

Our line had many ups and downs last season. After the draft, with Dan Quinn at coach, I feel comfortable that our defense will be significantly better. But, this team is still built for the offense to win games, not the defense. The o line is going to be the difference between a 7-9 and 11-5 record. Thoughts?

Move Baker to the right side. Of the bench. Replace him with Person, and we're good to go.

And that's just it, 2 of those guys could actually end up being starters. Baker could start at LT and Matthews may get moved back to RT with Konz or Person at LG. Not saying that's likely, but it is possible

I don't see the point. Schraeder did well last season at RT and Matthews has already taken over at LT. Either Baker becomes a June 1st cut, proves himself capable of being a ZBS LG, or he's riding pine.

C is Hawley and RT is Schraeder. Comfortable with both

The hole is LG and between Konz, Person, or Baker I don't feel comfortable, but I'm hoping it can just be managed until next season

It worked in 2012 with Reynolds as the starter at RG. He was pretty terrible, but the line was pretty good in spite of him

It worked in 2012 with Reynolds as the starter at RG. He was pretty terrible, but the line was pretty good in spite of him

Only for four games before he went to IR and Konz took over. I'm actually hoping Konz wins the spot, cause there's still a far out chance he can fulfill his potential as an interior lineman now that he's moving back to a ZBS. How fortunate that would be

Only for four games before he went to IR and Konz took over. I'm actually hoping Konz wins the spot, cause there's still a far out chance he can fulfill his potential as an interior lineman now that he's moving back to a ZBS. How fortunate that would be

Yea forgot that, but Konz was pretty terrible as well. We have a line filled with injury prone players. That's the biggest concern for me

Yea forgot that, but Konz was pretty terrible as well. We have a line filled with injury prone players. That's the biggest concern for me

He looked promising for a rookie thrown in mid-season but he's regressed ever since. And yeah, we've had uncanny bad luck in regards to Oline injuries the past two seasons. Law of averages should play back into our favor this season

Um you do realize stone was starting for us, all of the above posters are writing him out of their plans. Could he play LG?

Only because Hawley went down. And then Konz. And I don't see him capable of playing either guard position, think he's strictly a C. But he'll get his shot in camp to compete

Only because Hawley went down. And then Konz. And I don't see him capable of playing either guard position, think he's strictly a C. But he'll get his shot in camp to compete

He did start play well towards the end of the season. Seems like very good insurance in case something happens with Hawley. However, I think he actually has a shot to win the starting center spot

Matthews

Baker

Hawley

Asomoah

Schrader

James Stone is a starter on this line somewhere... we saw it last year and we've already seen it this year in minicamps. Will it be C or G? Probably Guard, according to many knowledgeable posters on here. Makes sense that he'd take over Blalock's vacant position while Hawley slides back into Center role.

Personally, I like our Oline and depth thereof currently. Matthews, Smash, Hawley, Aso, Schraeder; Baker and Holmes backup swing Tackles, Person can backup G, and if Hawley gets injured again, I think Stone goes back to Center and Person or Konz slides into Guard.

Despite the "living in the past" perception of our Oline, it is currently stocked with pretty darn decent starters and depth...

I'm fine with the O-line outside of LG. Hopefully one of Konz, Baker, or Person steps up there, but I don't have much confidence in them.

C is Hawley and RT is Schraeder. Comfortable with both

The hole is LG and between Konz, Person, or Baker I don't feel comfortable, but I'm hoping it can just be managed until next season

STONE SMASH!!