What Does Our Draft So Far Tell You?

So since we are moving from Smittyball to Q-ball, I think what is most interesting about the draft so far is what it tells us about the players we already have, and what Quinn is going to do going forward. Just a few random thoughts of my own:

1) Quinn sees Southward as a S: we spent our first 3 rounds last year on CB's, and took another one in the 2nd. IMO if Quinn was not comfortable with the S position, he would have drafted there...with his emphasis on a good high safety no way he passes a S to grab a 3rd CB. There's a chance he doesn't like Alford, but IMO if that was the case he would have shipped him for a 3rd rd pick already if he was convinced Alford was a lost cause.

2) We will still see a lot of the spread offense: 3rd rd pick is a 206 lb RB who got a lot of his big plays on reads and draws. I would be surprised if Quinn's plan was to see what he could do out of an I formation.

3) Sam Baker sucks (just threw this one in because I am still pizzed off at his contract, still think Dummytroff should be fired for that alone).

So since we are moving from Smittyball to Q-ball, I think what is most interesting about the draft so far is what it tells us about the players we already have, and what Quinn is going to do going forward. Just a few random thoughts of my own:

1) Quinn sees Southward as a S: we spent our first 3 rounds last year on CB's, and took another one in the 2nd. IMO if Quinn was not comfortable with the S position, he would have drafted there...with his emphasis on a good high safety no way he passes a S to grab a 3rd CB. There's a chance he doesn't like Alford, but IMO if that was the case he would have shipped him for a 3rd rd pick already if he was convinced Alford was a lost cause.

2) We will still see a lot of the spread offense: 3rd rd pick is a 206 lb RB who got a lot of his big plays on reads and draws. I would be surprised if Quinn's plan was to see what he could do out of an I formation.

3) Sam Baker sucks (just threw this one in because I am still pizzed off at his contract, still think Dummytroff should be fired for that alone).

Eh, no one would deal a 3rd for Alford...also, we didn't spend our first 3 rounds on CB last year at all. We took Matthews, Hageman, and Southward (a safety). You might be thinking of 2013 with Trufant and Alford, that's about it.

You might want to check out old Redskins games, the ones with Shanahan there I mean - he runs a west coast offense, lots of short routes with deep patterns to stretch the field, heavy focus on the run game and zone blocking. Gonna be a fun year. :)

I will tell you now our new RB can block and could run out of the I with no prob. They got a stud RB. And having 3 Cbs that can get it done is a must in today's football.

Edited by JJC28

We think our starting LG is on roster

The Collins pick suggests we now pick for value as opposed to straight needs based drafting

Value was the name of the game, no real reaches...I still can't believe we pretty much triggered the runs on certain positions. A lot of the time in past drafts it felt like we were the ones picking up the scraps after runs on a position.

I interpret this draft differently. To me, this draft saya that the falcons believe:

1. the offensive line personnel we have will work fine for the ZBS

2. our defense has a lot of personnel that quinn thinks he can work with.

I agree with both to an extent. As for the ZBS he may see a smaller quick guard in the later rounds.

Also, he may see that you can't fix everything in 1 year so just take bpa and add the best talent available

Can't say we don't still want a safety. The safety we wanted may have just not been there for us. That is a possibility.

This draft is a direct followup to our FA, and we're approaching it the same way. It shows me that we have a very specific skill set in mind, both in the physical and in the mental.

It also confirms what I've been saying for months, that trying to predict who we'll take next is a waste of time. No one here yet has a handle on exactly what Quinn is trying to do.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. tongue.png

Oh, it also confirms one more thing to me. Someone else said the same in the draft thread, but it confirms that TD is exactly what many on here have said. He is a Coach's GM. He studies the coach, and with the coach, and gets for the coach what the coach wants.

This draft is a direct followup to our FA, and we're approaching it the same way. It shows me that we have a very specific skill set in mind, both in the physical and in the mental.

It also confirms what I've been saying for months, that trying to predict who we'll take next is a waste of time. No one here yet has a handle on exactly what Quinn is trying to do.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. tongue.png

Oh, it also confirms one more thing to me. Someone else said the same in the draft thread, but it confirms that TD is exactly what many on here have said. He is a Coach's GM. He studies the coach, and with the coach, and gets for the coach what the coach wants.

A lie. See sig. Been that way for a while :)

InB4 our next picks are Chickillo, McBride, Valles

It tells me that Mike Smith was the problem. It also tells me (together with free agency) Quinn is planning long term.

I tried to explain this plenty of times around here. GMs get too much credit during the draft. You can just tell the difference in picks with the same GM. We don't pick Beasley nor Collins under Smith.

I tried to explain this plenty of times around here. GMs get too much credit during the draft. You can just tell the difference in picks with the same GM. We don't pick Beasley nor Collins under Smith.

Exactly! Vel was just one of very few who believed in TD. Most posters are superficial and loves to put all the blame and praise solely on one person. It takes many pieces working together to run an organization.