Seattle Southeast: Bruce Irvin Clone-Check, Richard Sherman Clone-Check

g-dawg

I see some of you quys questioning the 2nd round pick of LSU's Jalen Collins - complaining that cornerback was not a need. You that think like that are thinking about this all wrong.

You are saying "Yeah but we drafted the two corners in 1st/2nd round so we don't need to be spending a high pick on a corner". Well Trufant is six foot tall with his shoes on and Alford more like 5'10". Neither ideally fit the Seattle scheme - Trufant is so talented that he will adjust and fit in - but we were definitely lacking length. Falcons need "press corners" and Robert Alford at 5'10" and about a buck ninety is not long enough to play that style.

You cannot simply say "we took two guys high two years ago so corner is not a huge need" - dayum right it is a huge need or Dan Quinn is not burning a 2nd round pick on a corner.

Vic Beasley - he may be a "one-trick pony" designated passrusher - but that is also what Bruce Irvin is as well - it is a pretty dayum fabulous trick getting QBs on the ground - Falcons rushed, 7 and 8 last year and still could not get a QB on the ground - gawd awful and horrible.

Falcons have Schofield from Seattle. Falcons have a very poor man's (very poor - LOL) Michael Bennett in Clayborn. We have Jalen Collins(Rich. Sherman) and we have Vic Beasley(Bruce Irvin).

We are getting there....

hi-res-463873923-cornerback-richard-sherAPTOPIX-South-Carolin_Shum.jpg

Collins and Tru outside with Alford at NB looks real nice. Collins will go thru his growing pains as a rook

yeah, w/ Southward hopefully stepping up to the Free Safety and WAR/Ish at Strong Safety - with those three corners, things are looking up - maybe add a Nick Marshall as another big corner late in the draft - and we are lookin' strong.

Go look at Alford Film he is better at press man we needed cornerback depth I really think coach Quinn is gonna let them compete and best man will win job

it is simply harder to be a press man corner when you don't have length and strength - Alford has neither. Does that mean he cannot play press man? NO, but you don't want him making a habit of it.

So are you on record that Collins won't be playing NB? Because if Alford can't play on the outside due to his size then i'm assuming you think he is only a NB.

I am saying "long term" - Jalen Collins will be a boundry corner and would start at that position ahead of Robert Alford. If you want to hold me to some "who starts week#1 at the boundary opposite Trufant?" - I would not make that bet.

I am saying "long term" - Jalen Collins will be a boundry corner and would start at that position ahead of Robert Alford. If you want to hold me to some "who starts week#1 at the boundary opposite Trufant?" - I would not make that bet.

Well you said Alford basically can't play on the outside due to his height/weight. So then he has to be our NB based on that.

Well you said Alford basically can't play on the outside due to his height/weight. So then he has to be our NB based on that.

Falcons did not play a "press man" scheme last year - they never have, not in many, many years pre-dating Mike Smith. No NFL team was going to draft Alford to be a press corner.

I think it'd be much harder for Collins to play NB than it would be for Alford, but maybe that's just me. He's an outside corner through and through.

I'm undecided. The fact that Collins is 3 inches taller and heavier screams outside corner, but he had a faster 3 cone than Alford which says his change of direction is probably a little better (not that i'm a measurables obsessive guy) and Quinn mentioned that he could play NB in that press conference.

I just think Alford would actually thrive in a bump and run defense. 5'10 isn't really short and he has better straight speed and an insane explosiveness so its a toss up for me right now.

Can we please stop comparing Collins to one of the best corners in football. If we keep this narrative up he will never live up to expectations.

that is silly. comparing Collins to Richard Sherman is not going to stunt his growth - this is a messageboard. Do you freak out when a black cat crosses your path as well?

I'm undecided. The fact that Collins is 3 inches taller and heavier screams outside corner, but he had a faster 3 cone than Alford which says his change of direction is probably a little better (not that i'm a measurables obsessive guy) and Quinn mentioned that he could play NB in that press conference.

I just think Alford would actually thrive in a bump and run defense. 5'10 isn't really short and he has better straight speed and an insane explosiveness so its a toss up for me right now.

it does not matter what you "think" Alford can do - Dan Quinn has a way he wants his defense to look and he intends to implement this - it looks to me like he is finding the building blocks to build something similiar to what Seattle has from a personnel/scheme standpoint - will the players work out? remains to be seen...hope so!

Falcons did not play a "press man" scheme last year - they never have, not in many, many years pre-dating Mike Smith. No NFL team was going to draft Alford to be a press corner.

Watch the senior Bowl tape also go back and watch the combine and when there talking about him they say that's one of his strengths. Don't just say things without research sir.

it does not matter what you "think" Alford can do - Dan Quinn has a way he wants his defense to look and he intends to implement this - it looks to me like he is finding the building blocks to build something similiar to what Seattle has from a personnel/scheme standpoint - will the players work out? remains to be seen...hope so!

So can Alford play on the outside or not? The OP says he can't.

I'd like if we started with the base 4-3 under having just Tru and Alford, then in nickel slide Alford in and have Collins play outside. Maybe start Collins full time when he adjusts. He just gives up the inside too easily, he has great change of direction but I don't trust him at the slot tbh. Could be interesting for covering TEs though. Like the pick either way.

I'd like if we started with the base 4-3 under having just Tru and Alford, then in nickel slide Alford in and have Collins play outside. Maybe start Collins full time when he adjusts. He just gives up the inside too easily, he has great change of direction but I don't trust him at the slot tbh. Could be interesting for covering TEs though. Like the pick either way.

Thats another option. That is how we did Alford is rookie year when Asante went down. McClain came in on the outside in base and then moved inside to NB in nickel.

Either way, i'm just not ready to say that Alford can't play on the outside in this defense.