So Who Is Going To Be The Starting Leo For The Falcons?

So we draft the pass rusher the Majority of the board wanted. Let's not kid ourselves though the kid is a situational player. He'll only be on the field on passing downs until he improves his run defense.

So who do yall think is going to start at the LEO on rushing downs?

Issues against the run are way overblown, Dupree and Ray are arguably just as flawed in that part of their game. Dupree is probably worse at it tbh. He gets pushed around way too easy but he'll do better after learning some better technique hopefully. Beasley just needs to figure out how to use his freak strength and not get caught up in OT length. Learning better hand placement will go a long way towards that.

Not a highlight reel...just a full game that feels like one at times...lol. Double teamed so often. I'm just going through watching abridged versions of all his 2014 games and grinning ear to ear, he's the guy I was hoping for. Goes for the ball on his sacks like Abe, man I missed that. Such an underrated aspect of pass rushers. And he has a ton of room to improve, that's the crazy part. He could've had 4-5 sacks in this game instead of 2 if he just did a better job breaking down for the tackle.

It is obvious that Quinn and TD are high on him. They could have had Gregory, Ray or Dupree, but they went with Beasley. They must field that he has the ability to play LEO on all downs eventually. Maybe until he gets better we have our WLB hover over him as support. It will mean more yards given up early, but I would rather go through the growing pains than play a below average player, because he is better at run stuff than the guys who have had little opportunity to grow like our last coach staff did.

Also is he really bad as some people make him out to be? I mean he did have like 20 TFLs. I have not followed him, so I am clueless, but I will say if he is able to stuff the inside lane and force the RB to go outside, then I am more than happy with that, since re can rely on Durant to get the tackle. As long as the RB is forced to go to the outside on both sides and does not have a running lane up the middle most of the time, then it is a win compared to last season.

Clayborn? Hageman? Jackson? Babs? I don't really give a shyt. We NEEDED a pass rusher and that's what we got. I am beyond happy right now.

Yep. Beasley isn't all of the sudden the only guy on defense. We still had a pretty darn good FA and we've only had the 1st round of the draft.

A certain few, very few, people are coming off like they would like the kid to fail.

Beasley can still have a huge impact even if he is just a situational pass rusher during his rookie year.

Aldon Smith was strictly a situational pass rusher during his rookie year and still got 14 sacks. He became a full time starter during his 2nd year.

There was questions about Von Miller's ability to defend the run when he came into the NFL, Broncos LB coach at the time Richard Smith(now Falcons DC) worked with him and improved his game.

Beasley will be fine

Play the line this way:

Run downs

Hageman LE, Solia DT, Babs DT, Clayborn RE

Pass downs

Clayborn LE, Hageman DT, Babs DT, Beasley RE

That would take care of some of it. Beasley could also play some SAM off Kroy (or Clayborn or Schofield) playing RE.

Our biggest weakness, by far, has been pass rush these last few years. I don't know if he'll be a great pass rusher, but if he's a great pass rusher and just an ok run stopper, I'll take that.

Another way to deal with that is to play Brooks Reed as the SLB covering Beasley as the LEO. That way, you have a very solid run stopper to his side.

If he can get to the QB, it can be covered on early downs, and won't need to be on later downs.

How many times does Quinn need to say that "We evaluate players based on what they can do vs what they can't do". The sooner you guys realize this, the sooner you will see that we made the best pick we could have possibly made.

Edited by RubberDucky

Another way to deal with that is to play Brooks Reed as the SLB covering Beasley as the LEO. That way, you have a very solid run stopper to his side.

I think the WILL would have to cover his side. The LEO is the right end in our scheme, which is more often the weak side.

Having said that, Durant can help in run support as well as Reed can. Beasley will be fine.

So we draft the pass rusher the Majority of the board wanted. Let's not kid ourselves though the kid is a situational player. He'll only be on the field on passing downs until he improves his run defense.

Doesn't it worry you that your thought process is the same as DLed?

Issues against the run are way overblown, Dupree and Ray are arguably just as flawed in that part of their game. Dupree is probably worse at it tbh. He gets pushed around way too easy but he'll do better after learning some better technique hopefully. Beasley just needs to figure out how to use his freak strength and not get caught up in OT length. Learning better hand placement will go a long way towards that.

Not a highlight reel...just a full game that feels like one at times...lol. Double teamed so often. I'm just going through watching abridged versions of all his 2014 games and grinning ear to ear, he's the guy I was hoping for. Goes for the ball on his sacks like Abe, man I missed that. Such an underrated aspect of pass rushers. And he has a ton of room to improve, that's the crazy part. He could've had 4-5 sacks in this game instead of 2 if he just did a better job breaking down for the tackle.

I know man it's so crazy how perfect the match was. By far the best pass rusher IMO (yes, even better than Fowler) and he fell right into our laps. He has so much upside with how Athletic he is. Not to mention, he has the best first step and explosion in this draft. We just got a baller for years to come. I can't stop watching his games now and just imaging our defense finally getting a player like him.

Meh, that situation pass rusher stuff is pretty silly.

Sure, it would be nice if he had an extra 10 lbs but let's not forget, he was the STRONGEST DE/OLB at the combine, heck, he beat out all the DTs too, and almost all the O-line as well.

Beasley will make a fantastic LEO.