Nfl Drops Non-Profit Status, Just So It Won't Have To Report Goodell's Salary

Mega Flare

The NFL is dropping it's tax-exempt status. Why that ends up helping them out. (Washington Post)

Note: teams were already paying taxes, but now the league will too. Apparently, the league caught heII for paying Goodell $44M after all the scandals, and they figured the tax breaks weren't worth the PR hit. For comparison, MLB ended its non-profit status in 2007.

I think it also has to do with the political pressures they've been getting the last few years. Politics has started infecting the NFL the last few years and it's been making me sick to my stomach.

Politicians in Washington, D.C. threatening to take away the NFLs tax exempt status is one weapon the politicians will no longer have at their disposal.

I don't get why they never were exempt from paying taxes. Cities end giving money to these teams/owners to build giant Cathedral like stadiums and the whole time you mean to tell me they never had to pay taxes on it.

Only the NFL front office was tax exempt, not teams

I don't get why they never were exempt from paying taxes. Cities end giving money to these teams/owners to build giant Cathedral like stadiums and the whole time you mean to tell me they never had to pay taxes on it.

Because technically the NFL was an organization set up for the promotion of sport, which I believe is one of the "causes" permitted under the tax law that allows corporations to designate as a not-for-profit.

I think it also has to do with the political pressures they've been getting the last few years. Politics has started infecting the NFL the last few years and it's been making me sick to my stomach.

Politicians in Washington, D.C. threatening to take away the NFLs tax exempt status is one weapon the politicians will no longer have at their disposal.

One thing many don't know, is that the big sports Ieagues are still antitrust immune. Remember when Condaliza Rice was being mentioned as Goodel's replacement. That was weird for me. The day a Whitehouse cabinet member runs the nfl I truly may turn in the ol fan card. (Depends on who I guess)

Maybe Bob Kraft wants to discreetly throw more money at Goodell to keep the Patriots from being punished.

Put it this way no company makes a decision because it's the "right" thing to do, there is motive and incentive behind this move. If it did not benefit the league then it would not have happened.

Put it this way no company makes a decision because it's the "right" thing to do, there is motive and incentive behind this move. If it did not benefit the league then it would not have happened.

Although it sounds good, that statement is false. It really depends on who gets to decide what is "right". The purpose of a company is to provide a service or product for a profit. That actually is the "right" thing for it to do. Sometimes that involves doing things that are also for the general public"s good, such as donating money for hospital wings. The purpose of a publicly traded company (one that has stock that can be purchased by the public) is to return value to its stockholders by increasing the value of the company (and increasing the stock price). What is "right" for a company may not be what you think is right for you or others.