Can You Imagine Matt Ryan With A Dominant Offensive Line?

Guest Mr Plow

Guest Mr Plow

How long have we seen Matt trying to survive on his back? Or being forced to pass the ball after 1.2 seconds on a three step drop? How many times have we seen him check it down three yards on third and eight? Can you imagine how Matt would do if he actually was secure behind a dominant offensive line? Do you salivate at the thought of Kyle's ZBS with a dominant offensive line?

Yes, we need a pass rusher. I 100% get that. But c'mon boys .. let's not force a square peg into a round hole. Williams, Fowler, and Beasley will be gone. Gregory and Ray are one more positive test away from a mandatory suspension (see Dion Jordan). Bud Dupree has serious question marks, as do the other second tier pass rushers, and even Beasley has serious doubters amongst veteran scouts, despite his celebrity status here on TATF.

Let's take Scherff at # 8, and then grab the best available pass rusher at # 48 and seek another pass rusher after the June 1st cuts. No NFL GM in the history of the game has ever regretted building a dominant offensive line.

Thoughts? I know this has been discussed, but Ray's Marijuana citation adds another element to the discussion.

My first thought is we had half of our available OL get injured last year. I'm not using that as an excuse, but to say that you cannot devote 15 slots to five positions. We can and should put our money on the OL, but if we have the same rash of injuries, it doesn't matter if the guy on the training room table is a first round draft pick or an UFA.

With that being said, my second thought is we didn't have a dominant pass rusher to begin with. It's one thing to have some level of depth on the offensive line and lose it to circumstances. It is something else to have ZERO depth on the defensive line and expect that someone is going to make a great leap to superstardom when they haven't flashed at this level.

Guest Mr Plow

Imagine what this offense could do with the threat of a running game. Many other teams would salivate over our offensive personnel, it's the scheme and the lack of balance that's been our achilles heel.

Running game always, always starts with the offensive line. The greatest RB in the world can do very little behind a poor OL.

There are some OL in the 2nd round and later. Warning, many aren't considered ZBS, but it hasn't really stopped anyone from wanting some of those in the first.

Centers

Hroniss Grasu 6'3" 297lbs Oregon 2nd Round

BJ Finney 6'4" 318lbs Kansas State 3-4 Rounds

Reese Dismukes 6'3" 296lbs Auburn 4th Round

Andy Gallik 6'2" 306lbs Boston College 4-5 Rounds

Shaq Mason 6'2" 304lbs Georgia Tech 5th Round

Max Garcia 6'4" 309lbs Florida 6-7 Rounds

Offensive Guard

Laken Tomlinson 6'3" 323lbs Duke 2nd Round

AJ Cann 6'3" 313lbs South Carolina 2nd Round

Ali Marpet 6'4" 307lbs Hobart 2-3 Rounds

You know what. No. Just look. This is ridiculous. I look at the lists and there are enough to pick 2 in this draft and come out ahead.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OG

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT

Guest Mr Plow

There are some OL in the 2nd round and later. Warning, many aren't considered ZBS, but it hasn't really stopped anyone from wanting some of those in the first.

Centers

Hroniss Grasu 6'3" 297lbs Oregon 2nd Round

BJ Finney 6'4" 318lbs Kansas State 3-4 Rounds

Reese Dismukes 6'3" 296lbs Auburn 4th Round

Andy Gallik 6'2" 306lbs Boston College 4-5 Rounds

Shaq Mason 6'2" 304lbs Georgia Tech 5th Round

Max Garcia 6'4" 309lbs Florida 6-7 Rounds

Offensive Guard

Laken Tomlinson 6'3" 323lbs Duke 2nd Round

AJ Cann 6'3" 313lbs South Carolina 2nd Round

Ali Marpet 6'4" 307lbs Hobart 2-3 Rounds

You know what. No. Just look. This is ridiculous. I look at the lists and there are enough to pick 2 in this draft and come out ahead.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OG

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/OT

I appreciate your response and your thoughts KOG, but this time I have to disagree with you. I'd rather have the top OL in the draft than then the left-over, second tier pass rusher. But hey, I don't mind adding depth with a second OL pick later in the draft.

MAtt has a Great offensive line the protection just sucks cause we didn't have a legitimate Running Back since turner.....just think what mike vick dd to hype up his average offensive lik=ne with duckett and dunn and his legs also....I think we need to take a RUNNING BACK with our first pick whether it be gurley or Gordon I would also be happy with abdullah

We are switching to an outside zone blocking system. That requires OL's to move quickly and seal off defenders on the move.

Scherff is tough, but he moves poorly. The same goes for the South Carolina kid (forgot his name).

We need a better LG. Blalock could not move quick enough. So, let's look at a LG candidate after the first round.

Jake Fisher

TJ Clemmings

Jamil Douglas

Ali Marpet

I still think we messed up when we tried to make our offense more "explosive". Ryan to me is the type of QB who excels with a running game which sets up his play action and intermediate throws. Throw some no huddle in there at we got ourselves a time consuming offense dominant offense. Really want to go Marpet round 2 then an RB like Ajayi in the 3rd and Shaq Mason in the 5th if he's still there.