Schefter: La'el Collins Being Questioned About Murder Of His Ex Girlfriend

Kevo

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12782074/lael-collins-sought-questioning-police-following-shooting-death-29-year-old-woman

Police are seeking to question La'el Collins following the shooting death of a pregnant woman last week, but the former LSU offensive lineman is not considered a suspect, Baton Rouge police Lt. Jonny Dunnam told ESPN.

Brittany Mills, 29, is believed by police to be a former girlfriend of Collins. Police said Collins is not believed to be a suspect in the shooting, only that they want to talk to him to see if he can provide them with information.

La'el Collins is not considered a suspect in the death of 29-year-old Brittney Mills, although police want to question him to see if he can provide information. AP Photo/Mark Humphrey

Collins' attorney, Jim Boren, told police his client is in Chicago getting ready for the NFL draft. But Boren told ESPN he has been in constant contact with the lead detective on the case and he spoke with the district attorney Tuesday.

"We took the investigation seriously," Boren said from his offices Tuesday. "We've tried to rule him out as a suspect. We're going to provide that information to the police, and ultimately [Collins] will sit down and talk to them. But the timing is poor."

Mills was found shot to death in her apartment Friday night by police, who rushed her to the hospital, where her infant was delivered.

Boren said he has retained the services of a private investigative firm to help him prove that Collins was not close to Mills' home when she was murdered.

"We have identified where La'el was the day the lady was murdered to establish he was nowhere around," Boren told ESPN. "We have offered to give names, witnesses who can vouch for his whereabouts that day until after the woman's body was discovered. We believe that when [police] have verified that information, that they will rule him out as a suspect in the homicide, just as I believe he should be."

Collins is projected to be a first-round pick in the draft, which begins Thursday. Sources told ESPN a handful of teams have become aware of the incident and would like to know if police determine that Collins is the father of the infant who was delivered after Mills' death. The baby still is receiving medical treatment.

Police told the Baton Rouge Advocate newspaper that investigators believe, from a preliminary investigation, that Mills opened her door to someone who wanted to use her car and was shot multiple times after she refused.

Neighbors said they heard two gunshots about 10:30 p.m. Friday. They said the door to Mills' apartment was ajar when police arrived.

Schefter just said, on ESPN radio, that the teams that he has spoken to about Collins have said that there is a possibility the he may wind up going undrafted because of this situation!

Wow!

Could Collins be closer to the situation than what's been previously reported?

Schefter just said, on ESPN radio, that the teams that he has spoken to about Collins have said that there is a possibility the he may wind up going undrafted because of this situation!

Wow!

Could Collins be closer to the situation than what's been previously reported?

AS of late last night I had heard he still hadn't been in contact with the Police in Baton Rouge, yet he had left Chicago much earlier to do just that. Could he have had something to do with this? It looks like it could turn into another Rae Carruth type deal.

I'm not drafting this guy until I know exactly what the **** is going on.

Schefter is vague, he said Collins could go undrafted. It could be a mix of words saying if he's got a connection to it (a poi) he'll go undrafted. Which is true, but it's all about headlines for Schefter. Rather annoying now

I dunno....I don't think the police would be doing this the day before the draft if there wasn't some suspicion. Add to that Collins had a PI and attorney identifying where he was before the police even wanted to question much less charge him? weird

makes me wonder if the baby isn't his and he didn't want to get nailed for child support once he got a big contract. he may not have done it, but he may still be involved

I dunno....I don't think the police would be doing this the day before the draft if there wasn't some suspicion. Add to that Collins had a PI and attorney identifying where he was before the police even wanted to question much less charge him? weird

makes me wonder if the baby isn't his and he didn't want to get nailed for child support once he got a big contract. he may not have done it, but he may still be involved

Exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully this isn't Rae Carruth part deux.

Collins' agent is petitioning the NFL to remove him from the draft so he can go into the supplemental draft.

Is he doing this because of reports of teams dropping him from their draft boards?

We still don't know if he has anything to do with the murder of his ex girlfiend...but, maybe the NFL gm's do have an inside source that's giving them info ( as someone here previously mentioned )

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000489146/article/lael-collins-agent-petitioning-removal-from-draft

Deryk Gilmore, the agent for LSU offensive lineman La'el Collins, is attempting to pull his client from the draft in an effort to clear his name, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Fox Sports first reported the development.

Collins, who is not a suspect, is scheduled to meet with police in connection with the shooting death of a 29-year-old pregnant woman, Brittany Mills. Mills was Collins' ex-girlfriend. As NFL Media's Albert Breer noted, Collins will not be able to meet with police until after the draft.

"He's not a suspect, but we are seeking to question him," Cpl. Don Coppola told Breer on Tuesday. "He knew the victim. We're not sure of the exact nature of the relationship. But for the investigation and through the investigation, we're exhausting all avenues to locate this young lady's killer."

Collins is not the only person they have reached out to regarding this ongoing investigation, Coppola told NFL Media. Coppola emphasized that Collins is not being singled out and that this is standard procedure regarding an investigation of this nature.

On Tuesday, NFL general managers were informed about the situation according to Rapoport. Included in the note to GMs was information that a woman Collins knew, Mills, was murdered. Mills was pregnant and the baby survived. The police are now trying to determine parental responsibility. The note said that Collins had not contacted Mills since September.

Amid the tragedy, Collins' draft stock has come into question. Sensing the uncertainty, Gilmore is attempting to use the supplemental draft to recoup some of Collins' value and allow him time to separate himself from any involvement in the crime. He has met with the NFL Players' Association already.

One problem for Collins, according to Rapoport, is that allowing a player to pull himself from the draft would set a precedent for other prospects that endure a massive change to their public perception. Though this is a unique situation, players that fail drug tests, get arrested or get injured would have grounds to petition the NFLPA in a similar matter.

Collins was previously expected to be one of the first few offensive linemen taken on Thursday, according to several draft experts at NFL Media