Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldskooler

For The People Still Riding Gregory's Jock---

52 posts in this topic

Are you not keeping up?

Do you not read the news?

Do you hate the Falcons?

Randy Gregory isn't just smoking a little green. There is much more wrong than that.

Randy Gregory was already too light. Now he has lost even more weight, reportedly down to 220. That is completely inadequate.

The reason for the continued use of marijuana appears to be a serious depression/anxiety disorder. This means that he will either keep smoking to control the disorder (suspensions), switch to anti-depressants (side effects), or leave the disorder untreated (serious mental health risk, with a Jovan Belcher as the most extreme possibility).

Randy Gregory should be considered undraftable at ANY point in the draft.

Tony Diesel and dozer like this

If it weren't for his substance history, Gregory would be the first or second pass rusher taken IMO. He's a great player, just not the best when it comes to making decisions.

Relax. Undraftable at ANY point in the draft? There is no reason to take him off the board completely. I agree with all the risks you are saying, but they are risks. You do realize that people change right? What about Tyrann Mathieu? His marijuana addiction was worse than Gregorys and he has been a solid player when healthy and hasn't failed a drug test yet.

I look at drug use in a more negative light than most, but at least be realistic. He could fail a drug test a get suspended or he could very well seek therapy (if he even needs it) or a simple anxiety medication (they all don't have negative side effects) to fix his issues.

All signs point to him wanting an NFL paycheck, not so much wanting to be a great NFL player.

Honestly I would not waste a roster spot on him. Too many red flags & too big of a risk for an NFL suspension.

What has he done since testing positive at the combine & interviewing poorly with teams?

Tyrann Mathieu went public & met with Deion, he got help before the draft, Gregory hasn't done jack to help himself or to stop his free fall.

I hope the aints take him & he becomes their headache.....& gives R Ryan more gray hair.

Gregory is the best all around DE in the draft. He brings it on the field. That is all.

You do realize that this wasn't even true in college, as Wisconsin washed him out completely by running straight at him? And that even if it were true in college, that he is far too light, and already one failed test away from a suspension?

I'm just glad you were able to hop off of Bud Dupree's jock long enough to make this thread.Good for you man.

It's a daily struggle. One day at a time, man.

ATL would be picking Gregory for the same reason they'd be picking Dupree - they think his athleticism will translate (with coaching development) into better pro production than it did in college. While i have no problem with that logic, it shouldn't be what warrants the #8 pick. i'll be shocked if Gregory goes in the top 10. Trading back into the teens and picking him along with garnering another pick or two? Sure

Relax. Undraftable at ANY point in the draft? There is no reason to take him off the board completely. I agree with all the risks you are saying, but they are risks. You do realize that people change right? What about Tyrann Mathieu? His marijuana addiction was worse than Gregorys and he has been a solid player when healthy and hasn't failed a drug test yet.

I look at drug use in a more negative light than most, but at least be realistic. He could fail a drug test a get suspended or he could very well seek therapy (if he even needs it) or a simple anxiety medication (they all don't have negative side effects) to fix his issues.

I like your points and your post for the most part... but marijuana "addiction" ? rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

I think the biggest issue is that Tyrann was clearly just a goofy kid who made it too known that he smoked... I am worried Gregory has more serious anxiety/depression issues... those can be a killer.

Are you not keeping up?

Do you not read the news?

Do you hate the Falcons?

Randy Gregory isn't just smoking a little green. There is much more wrong than that.

Randy Gregory was already too light. Now he has lost even more weight, reportedly down to 220. That is completely inadequate.

The reason for the continued use of marijuana appears to be a serious depression/anxiety disorder. This means that he will either keep smoking to control the disorder (suspensions), switch to anti-depressants (side effects), or leave the disorder untreated (serious mental health risk, with a Jovan Belcher as the most extreme possibility).

Randy Gregory should be considered undraftable at ANY point in the draft.

or he becomes a man and takes care of his problems , isnt depressed or anxious anymore as he has a great life/career and support team around him now and stops smoking, or smokes just for fun. anyways he said he doesnt anymore. and mor than half the league smokes everyday so get over it brah

or he becomes a man and takes care of his problems , isnt depressed or anxious anymore as he has a great life/career and support team around him now and stops smoking, or smokes just for fun. anyways he said he doesnt anymore. and mor than half the league smokes everyday so get over it brah

Depression/anxiety is a very real medical condition. You don't just "become a man" qnd decide to "not be depressed or anxious anymore". That's just not how it works.

And to be clear, I do not "hate" Randy Gregory. I hope he receives any help he needs, and I wish him well. I simply do not think he is a wise investment as far as spending a draft pick on him.

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

Gregory has shown nothing this off season to warrant top 10 interest IMHO....weight fluctuations.

See Vic Beasley... A dude trying to impress/max his draft potential.

All I see is potential and a need for maturity... he's not a top 10 pick for us. We can't afford him to fail...not top 10 draftable. Include Shane Ray as well.

dozer likes this

Regarding Gregory's currently weight and the reasons he smoked pot, we don't know that what you say is fact. Sounds like rumors to me. There are certainly risks with Gregory and I'm definitely worried about them but I'm also confident in his ability to be a good NFL player. There are not many guys I can say that about in this draft. Smoking pot is something he can control. Gaining weight is something he can control (he certainly has the frame to add more). These seem like risks that I can live with given Gregory's immense potential.

I like your points and your post for the most part... but marijuana "addiction" ? rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

I think the biggest issue is that Tyrann was clearly just a goofy kid who made it too known that he smoked... I am worried Gregory has more serious anxiety/depression issues... those can be a killer.

Mathieu was definitely not just a goofy kid who made it too known that he smoked. He had legit problems with it. If the word "addiction" doesn't sit well with some then thats ok. And i agree that anxiety CAN be significant, but anxiety can also be solved very easily as well. Now if we are talking about him being a schizophrenic or something like that, then thats a different story, but even Brandon Marshall who was diagnosed with being Bipolar is more serious than just anxiety.

Mathieu said he used marijuana as a way to deal with problems on and off the field.

"I'd tell the world I abused myself though marijuana," Mathieu said. "I abused myself through marijuana. Was I addicted to it? Maybe. Did I form a habit of it? Yes. When people didn't think I had a good game or I didn't have the greatest practice ever, I didn't go into the office and try to figure out what was going on. I just automatically abused myself."

In private moments, Mathieu said he was pained.

"When you go to rehab and counseling, it's not about the physical person," he said. "It's about the person inside of you, the soul of you, the spirit of you. Many times I looked in the mirror and didn't see anything. Couldn't see anything. I didn't see anything in the mirror. It was me, but I didn't truly know my soul, my spirit.

Francis York Morgan likes this

Bud Dupree apparently got a 12 on the Wonderlic, then retested and got a 13. Gregory had one of the highest at DE/LB in the draft. It's a small thing to some, but I actually take the Wonderlic seriously when my big question is instincts and ability to be taught. He might be willing but I'm not sold on Dupree...as stupid as some of the stuff Gregory did is, he'd be worth a flier.

Not sure he would be at 8 though. It's humbling to drop some. Could be good for him to realize the money he's losing out on.

What has he done to make anyone believe this is the most likely outcome? He still hasn't passed a drug test & has stacked the odds against himself.

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

Bud Dupree apparently got a 12 on the Wonderlic, then retested and got a 13. Gregory is rumored to have one of the highest at DE in the draft. It's a small thing to some, but I actually take the Wonderlic seriously when my big question is instincts and ability to be taught. He might be willing but I'm not sold on Dupree...as stupid as some of the stuff Gregory did is, he'd be worth a flier.

Not sure he would be at 8 though. It's humbling to drop some. Could be good for him to realize the money he's losing out on.

**** Dupree got a 13??? lmao ... pass