Todd Gurlie Makes More Sense Than Taking De Leftovers At 8 Or Giving Away Picks To Trade Up

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a leftover...

Well, UGA is my school, and I'm like you. I don't hate on tech. I watch them and cheer for them when they aren't playing my Bulldogs. Most people aren't like us, though. As for Gurley specifically, l

Now there's a weak argument if I've ever seen one

Maybe weak but true --- and I meant all of us not just you individually

The Falcons are a business --if they do not make a profit they are gone

where does the profit come from TV commercials and to a lesser extent ticket sales

Mr blank has shown he will close a company if it does not make a profit --ie arena football in ATL.

But were those porterhouse steaks cooked at UGA? If the leftover was cooked at UGA, then that's going to be the consensus choice.

Gurley is blowing up on this board because he went to UGA. This happens so many times it's not even funny. Remember DJ Shockley? That guy was a bonafied 4th string quarterback. Or what about the Falcons trading up into the top 10 to draft Jarvis Jones in 2013? Yeah, that thread had nothing to do with UGA homerism either.

If Gurley played at Florida or Wake Forest or even Georgia Tech, that guy wouldn't be in anybody's mock.

Come on Mono. Is this really true? The last backs I wanted were Murray, Lacy, Gio and Bell. None of them were from UGA. KoG is on board, but he is a Roll Tide fan through and through. Some just understand the talent and impact he could have on this team.

Maybe week but true --- I saw a thriving pizza parlor go out of business because they got boycotted by the high school kids after they threw out some football players for stealing pizza

Yes, a local joint, financed locally. NFL teams are paid from a global pool. A handful of people boycotting in one town doesn't even matter. It's like you dropped a penny and it rolled away.

I can't believe I wasted time explaining that.

I'm not trying to generalize too much, but for the most part, yes. I really think the ridiculous, over-the-top, borderline spamming of Todd Gurley on this board is because he played football in Athens. That's not taking anything away from his talent or from those who believe he will be elite, but it's just absurd to me to take him 8th overall when our pass rush is bankrupt and our starting free safety might not even be a free safety. (I'm still convinced Southward is more of a corner)

Our pass rush rush wouldn't be bankrupt if this team had addressed it in free agency. Now we are supposed to believe it's a critical need when they all but ignored it for how long now? Don't expect us to get on that train when the people in charge refuse to get on it.

Honestly, I haven't. I can't think of one player who was dramatically hyped up on this board from GT. I mean there was the Calvin Johnson crave, but I legitimately believe that had little to do with him playing at Tech. That was because A: He was a generational talent and B: There were legitimate rumors that we would trade up and pick him.

And just to be consistent, I included 2 BYU players in my mock. One in the 5th round and one in the 7th round. If I told you that their BYU affiliation was irrelevant, I would be lying. With that said, because I watch all of BYU's games, I've seen what they can do more than others. There's always a presupposition when scouting a player.

Maybe we are each more sensitive to the opposite school--sorry can't remember names but

there was a big push for a GIT RB a few years back and wasn't there many poster after a GIT QB the same year as UGA posters were after Schockley?

I'm not trying to generalize too much, but for the most part, yes. I really think the ridiculous, over-the-top, borderline spamming of Todd Gurley on this board is because he played football in Athens. That's not taking anything away from his talent or from those who believe he will be elite, but it's just absurd to me to take him 8th overall when our pass rush is bankrupt and our starting free safety might not even be a free safety. (I'm still convinced Southward is more of a corner)

Over the top spamming? I just counted three Gurley threads on page one and one is about to drop off. When it does there will be just as many Ray threads on page one.

Yes, a local joint, financed locally. NFL teams are paid from a global pool. A handful of people boycotting in one town doesn't even matter. It's like you dropped a penny and it rolled away.

I can't believe I wasted time explaining that.

get real -- if all of us just boycotted 1 game at the stadium and on TV think of the impact from just that 1 event

just look at the impact a few 1000 had in St Louis recently.(not football related)

Is our pass rush really bankrupt?

Clayborn, Beer, Schofield, Reed and Babineaux have put QBs on the ground before.

Hageman, Shembo, Starr, Spruill, Maponga, Bartu and Jacques could get coached up by Quinn the great.

Diggy, Orchard, Kikaha, Mauldin, ZSmith, PSmith and Golden can be had in the second or third and be just as productive as the first rounders.

Our RB unit might be closer to bankruptcy:

Free - a smallish change of pace back who has never eclipsed the 250 yard rush mark

Tone - a 30 year old STer who will likely be a five carry scat back

JSmith - has ZERO NFL carries

Wingo - a drummer for a Beatles tribute band with ZERO NFL carries

Gurley is blowing up on this board because he went to UGA.

Not true bro. Gurley is the best athlete/best RB in the draft. It would be the same scenario for me if he didn't goto UGA. Not sure why people continue to believe this about Gurley.

Remember the abundance of Clowney threads last year? I do believe that he went to USC.

Clayborn, Beer, Schofield, Reed and Babineaux have put QBs on the ground before.

Hageman, Shembo, Starr, Spruill, Maponga, Bartu and Jacques could get coached up by Quinn the great.

Diggy, Orchard, Kikaha, Mauldin, ZSmith, PSmith and Golden can be had in the second or third and be just as productive as the first rounders.

Free - a smallish change of pace back who has never eclipsed the 250 yard rush mark

But But can't Wingo and JSmith be "coached up"????

Why can second tier DE/OLB succeed BUT second tier RBs not succeed???

why is rnd 1 RB and rnd 2 DE/OLB good ------BUT rnd 1 DE/OLB and rnd 2 RB bad????

Using Freeman's stats from one year in a different scheme is kind of tailoring towards your view don't you think?

If you watched him play at FSU in a ZBS, you would see how productive he was, even eclipsing the 1000 yard mark in a RBBC. Just because he isn't a household name after one season doesn't mean the guy can't produce.

Not true bro. Gurley is the best athlete/best RB in the draft. It would be the same scenario for me if he didn't goto UGA. Not sure why people continue to believe this about Gurley.

Remember the abundance of Clowney threads last year? I do believe that he went to USC.

Sorry man, but this absolutely true, every UGA fan wants the local hero to play here, nothing wrong with that, just at our pick position that's not a wise idea. I think the SEC favortism is pretty rampant around here, but when that's the games you mainly watch you tend to gravitate towards those players.

The weird part about Gurley for me is that in almost any other year, I would be on board with drafting him this high. He's talented and the fact he played locally helps put homer ***** in the dome.

But, our team is missing some key parts. We won't get them all this year, but this is a draft we must nail. We need young talent on defense.

Having said all of this, I don't know the mind of the front office. They may see Gurley as the best choice at 8, because the type of defensive player they covet can be found in the second through fifth round. Seattles draft methodology suggests this is a possibility.

If we draft Gurley, I hope its because he can help us in a zone blocking scheme. And not because Uncle Arthur needs to put as many UGA homer butts into the new stadium to pay for it. Its expensive to go to Athens to watch games. He may need the incentive for UGA fans to be separated from more money....I hope this isn't the case.

Well, I have two things for that.

1: Our pass rush wasn't necessarily ignored, as Brooks Reed and O'Brien Schofield will be expected to pick up a significant portion of our pass rush. Problem being, I have serious doubts that either can be impact players. Leading to my 2nd point...

2: Our general manager is not very good at his job for lack of a better word. Yes, he has absolutely avoided the pass rush since Abraham left, and we are now paying for that ignorance. Thank goodness Sheriff Quinn is in the house to fix that.

"Quinn is in the house to fix that "

Based on what you and many have said, what if we do select Gurley at 8? Wouldn't you have to still trust Quinn that that's the player he wants and that he can fix the pass rush work what he "nailed" in FA and with later picks?

But But can't Wingo and JSmith be "coached up"????

Why can second tier DE/OLB succeed BUT second tier RBs not succeed???

why is rnd 1 RB and rnd 2 DE/OLB good ------BUT rnd 1 DE/OLB and rnd 2 RB bad????

Wingo and JSmith haven't even been coached up to an active roster spot. Good luck with that.

Second Tier RBs can be coached up but we can have the #1 RB. The only way we get the #1 ER is with a trade up which would be dumb.

Using Freeman's stats from one year in a different scheme is kind of tailoring towards your view don't you think?

If you watched him play at FSU in a ZBS, you would see how productive he was, even eclipsing the 1000 yard mark in a RBBC. Just because he isn't a household name after one season doesn't mean the guy can't produce.

Don't forget you're talking to the #2 Free fan on TATF. Second to only Tugg2. Free is an outside runner. Not between the tackles. Tone either. What are we gonna do when we get in the red zone? Abandon the run like we did the last two seasons? Probably.

When names like Marquis Spruill and Kroy Biermann are mentioned as an argument against a depleted pass rush, I tend not to get my hopes up.

Is the running back position also lacking right now? Absolutely. Difference being, you don't draft a running back in the top 10, especially one coming off a recent ACL tear. The Titans needed a running back last year, so they drafted Bishop Sankey in the 2nd round. The Buccaneers needed a running back in 2012, so took Doug Martin with the 31st overall pick. The Cowboys also needed one, so they grabbed DeMarco Murray in the 3rd round. The Eagles were the same story when they took LeSean McCoy in the 2nd round.

You know who the last running back was taken in the top 8? I may be wrong, but I'm thinking it was Darren McFadden.

Biermann had 4.5 sacks in his last eight games. He was getting after the QB when he got over his injury. The top two pass rushers from the 2014 draft only had four sacks each.

None of the RBs you're naming are in the same Galaxy with Gurley. He is widely considered by experts to be the best back to enter the draft since AP. Sankey, Lacy, Gio, Bell, Martin, Murray, McFadden and McCoy weren't.