Todd Gurlie Makes More Sense Than Taking De Leftovers At 8 Or Giving Away Picks To Trade Up

JG2008

Todd Gurlie makes more sense than taking DE leftovers at 8 or giving away picks to trade up

Yeah - I know our pass rush is abysmal and it's been really hard to watch the last 2 years when the opposing QB's seemingly have 20 seconds to comfortably make up their mind where to place the ball

But don't you think after reading his draft profile that here's a rare talent that is going to touch the ball 20+ times a game Who can really take our offense to the next level for 5 or more years

Can you really say the same thing about 1 DE that will still be available at 8 ? That we are going to get rare DE talent at 8? That who is available at 8 he is going to be such a destructive force on the existing defense that it would make more of a net difference on Defense than the net difference to our offense of adding a rare talent like Gurley who will touch the ball 20+ times a game

If we could trade down and add 1 more pick and get Gurkey plus 1 more player great - i think it certainly makes more sense than trading picks away to move from 8 to 3 to get Leonard Williams or D Fowler

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/todd-gurley?id=2552475&id=2552475

Strengths

Rare blend of speed and power. Immense power in legs and shows balance through contact. Shreds arm tackles and has speed to house it. Very hard to tackle on an angle. Professional, decisive runner. Presses line of scrimmage to set up his cut-back runs. Gets downhill with knee bend and forward lean, staying small through the hole. Uses quick, tight steps to second level. Will sink and explode into tackler or side-step and jet, causing hesitation in downhill safeties with their approach. Converts "speed to power" between tackles and around corner. Rarely looks to run out of bounds and finishes his runs. Able to factor out of the backfield with soft hands and ability to adjust to throws. In 2014, churned out an amazing 61.9 percent of his rushing yardage after contact. Strong hands and carries ball tight to his body. Only three fumbles in 510 carries.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a leftover...

Well, UGA is my school, and I'm like you. I don't hate on tech. I watch them and cheer for them when they aren't playing my Bulldogs. Most people aren't like us, though. As for Gurley specifically, l

What makes you think that the only thing that will be left is leftovers in regard to edge rushers at 8?

Also, Willie to Atlantie makes good sense if the Falcons believe that he is the guy to be a huge piece to a last ranked defense.

If the Falcons have a chance to get the highest ranked defender in the draft, then go get him if it doesn't take a crazy deal to get it done.

Not saying that it will happen, but it sure as heII would be nice.

Todd Gurlie makes more sense than taking DE leftovers at 8 or giving away picks to trade up

Yeah - I know our pass rush is abysmal and it's been really hard to watch the last 2 years when the opposing QB's seemingly have 20 seconds to comfortably make up their mind where to place the ball

But don't you think after reading his draft profile that here's a rare talent that is going to touch the ball 20+ times a game Who can really take our offense to the next level for 5 or more years

Can you really say the same thing about 1 DE that will still be available at 8 ? That we are going to get rare DE talent at 8? That who is available at 8 he is going to be such a destructive force on the existing defense that it would make more of a net difference on Defense than the net difference to our offense of adding a rare talent like Gurley who will touch the ball 20+ times a game

If we could trade down and add 1 more pick and get Gurkey plus 1 more player great - i think it certainly makes more sense than trading picks away to move from 8 to 3 to get Leonard Williams or D Fowler

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/todd-gurley?id=2552475&id=2552475

Strengths

Rare blend of speed and power. Immense power in legs and shows balance through contact. Shreds arm tackles and has speed to house it. Very hard to tackle on an angle. Professional, decisive runner. Presses line of scrimmage to set up his cut-back runs. Gets downhill with knee bend and forward lean, staying small through the hole. Uses quick, tight steps to second level. Will sink and explode into tackler or side-step and jet, causing hesitation in downhill safeties with their approach. Converts "speed to power" between tackles and around corner. Rarely looks to run out of bounds and finishes his runs. Able to factor out of the backfield with soft hands and ability to adjust to throws. In 2014, churned out an amazing 61.9 percent of his rushing yardage after contact. Strong hands and carries ball tight to his body. Only three fumbles in 510 carries.

Blasphemer

is one of those words when you write it, it doesn't look correct.

Homer

Homerus (Ancient Greek: Ὅμηρος [hómɛːros], Hómēros), best known as his anglicised name Homer, is the author of the Iliad and the Odyssey. He was believed by the ancient Greeks to have been the first and greatest of the epic poets. Author of the first known literature of Europe, he had a lasting effect on the Western canon.

Don't ask me how those words apply to football, but I'd imagine you are about to get called an author of the Iliad and the Odyssey a lot.

I can see the advantages, but we are assuming a decent alternative drops to the 2nd. I'm still at depends on who is left from the 8th pick. I'd only trade up for Williams

Nice post, Capologist.

The OP recognizes the immense talent that Gurlie has. I get that. But he imagines a time when TG will carry the ball 20 times/game. That is when I deviate from his narrative. Will Gurlie carry the ball 20 times? No one knows.

History has shown that he was not able to stay healthy in college. He has been a RBBC sort of guy. Can he be a star in the NFL? Sure, but what are the odds? From my point of view, the odds are longer than I care to gamble.

Beasley, Ray, and Dupree are not left overs. They were all highly productive players in college. They all have physical traits that translate well to the NFL. They all have character traits that make them good bets for the future.

The Falcons pretty much have to draft a pass rusher at #8.......unless, of course, they can trade down and pick up a proven young pass rusher along the way.

Some of you people make me laugh talking about how much money a guy will make, as if you're writing the checks. This idea becomes even less relevant considering the new cba and fifth year options make taking virtually any player anywhere a low risk proposition when it comes to money. Money that, once again, isn't coming out of your pocket.

Second, if these people selecting are so great as you're preaching, and they select him, what are you going to do then? The people who like Gurley will only be disappointed if he ends up someplace else. I can't imagine what will happen here if they do select him.

I don't cheer lead for taking Gurley, but I can easily see the logic in taking him given the right circumstances. I see a ton of people who need to take a step back from their UGA hate and see it, too.

Some of you people make me laugh talking about how much money a guy will make, as if you're writing the checks. This idea becomes even less relevant considering the new cba and fifth year options make taking virtually any player anywhere a low risk proposition when it comes to money. Money that, once again, isn't coming out of your pocket.

Second, if these people selecting are so great as you're preaching, and they select him, what are you going to do then? The people who like Gurley will only be disappointed if he ends up someplace else. I can't imagine what will happen here if they do select him.

I don't cheer lead for taking Gurley, but I can easily see the logic in taking him given the right circumstances. I see a ton of people who need to take a step back from their UGA hate and see it, too.

But the money is coming out of our pockets-- quite buying tickets and see

or quite buying the products advertised during the TV commercials and see

Archived