Can We Get Sort Of A "community Big Board" For The Top 8 Players?

Kayoh

Basically, you want #1 more than any other player in the draft, but if that guy is gone, you'd take #2, then #3, etc until you get to #8 which basically would assume that no QBs get taken in the top 7, a highly unlikely scenario.

Here's mine:

1. Randy Gregory

2. Vic Beasley

3. Amari Cooper

4. Bud Dupree

5. Brandon Scherff

6. Owamagbe Odighizuwa

7. Kevin White

8. Preston Smith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amari Cooper

Dante Fowler

Vic Beasely

Leonard Williams

Todd Gurley

Marcus Peters

Kevin White

Alvin Dupree

Cam Erving

Melvin Gordon

Your "Big Board" should be the top players who you think will become great long term players in the NFL regardless of team. These are my top 10

He would be an awesome fit at LEO.

Possibly eventually, but I don't think so right away. He still struggles against the run and will be a situational pass rusher only for a while IMO (3rd downs & in Bear fronts). The LEO's has the responsibility of containing runs and forcing the runner back inside, which is not a Beasley strong suit (putting it nicely). I can't see us using the #8 pick on a 3rd down LB. I do really like Beasley long term, and I think he could get us 8 sacks this year, but that would be on maybe 30% of the D snaps at best IMO.

JMO anyway.

You would take Parker over Beasley?

Possibly it would depend on several things. That is pretty much how I rank to top 8 draft-able players I would take at 8 in order of either how ready I think they are or potential I think they have. So yeah if all that was left out of that list was Beasley and Parker I would probably grab Parker because he is a perfect fit for the WCO offense. Out of the pass rushers mentioned here I think that Beasley and Ray are the worst fits at LEO.

Edited by Sobeit

1. Vic Beasley

2. Leonard Williams

3a. Randy Gregory

3b. Shane Ray

5. Brandon Scherff

6. Landon Collins

7. Marcus Peters

8. Carl Davis

This won't be popular at all...I just don't want to list anyone on my big 8 unless I think they have a really solid chance of being great to elite players. Even if they're seen as late round one guys. As you can see, I've fallen off the Dupree bandwagon really hard. I just worry, because you can't teach instincts. More than anything else, that's what I think he lacks. He hesitates way too much. It could be because of scheme but that's not a chance I'd be willing to take.

Also:

Possibly eventually, but I don't think so right away. He still struggles against the run and will be a situational pass rusher only for a while IMO (3rd downs & in Bear fronts). The LEO's has the responsibility of containing runs and forcing the runner back inside, which is not a Beasley strong suit (putting it nicely). I can't see us using the #8 pick on a 3rd down LB. I do really like Beasley long term, and I think he could get us 8 sacks this year, but that would be on maybe 30% of the D snaps at best IMO.

JMO anyway.

That's really not the LEO's responsibility at all. You're thinking of a standard 4-3 Defense. A 4-3 under, assuming that's our base defense, is essentially a 4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel. The LEO is almost always a smaller, faster defensive end used in a pass rushing role, and on their other snaps they're almost always dropping back into coverage. I think we should use Beasley like Demarcus Ware...he had some years where he was used as a pass rusher 85%+ of snaps.

That's really not the LEO's responsibility at all. You're thinking of a standard 4-3 Defense. A 4-3 under, assuming that's our base defense, is essentially a 4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel. The LEO is almost always a smaller, faster defensive end used in a pass rushing role, and on their other snaps they're almost always dropping back into coverage. I think we should use Beasley like Demarcus Ware...he had some years where he was used as a pass rusher 85%+ of snaps.

Not according to Pete Carroll....

Bruce understands the scheme,” Carroll said. “He’s consistent at staying on the edge. He closes well. The things that that position calls for, he needs to maintain contain on the outside runs your way and you have to chase like crazy on the ball going away. He’s done all of that well.

“We’ll certainly miss Clem, but (Irvin) can hold up his own.”

Not every play is a passing play, he's got to be able to play the run or he's not going to be on the field except in obvious passing situations. The things, outside of rushing the passer, that Carroll says the LEO has to do well, Beasley doesn't do well at all.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2013/01/07/chris-clemons-out-bruce-irvin-will-step

To everybody with Leonard Williams in your top 8: Why do you want him and what does he do that Tyson Jackson doesn't already do?

Williams has faster hands, is better at shedding blocks, he has an elite swim move, and he's absurdly good at using his length to compliment his strength. Tyson Jackson is great at using his strength to be an elite run defender as a 3-4 DE, but he's nowhere near as aggressive, nor is he as good of a pass rusher. His hands aren't comparable at all. I disagree with the people comparing him to Watt but I think he can be an elite run defending 3-4 DE/LE in the 4-3 under, he can play DT fairly well too, and he'll be good for 6-8 sacks a year most likely. The Jackson one isn't totally awful from a run defense perspective, but it kind of feels like you just looked at their combine numbers, which seems to be the reason you like/dislike a lot of guys. Dunno why you're surprised people have a near unanimous top 3 player in the draft in their top 8. I'm not harping on anyone for Fowler.

PS, I'm gonna blow your mind like that video apparently did for you and Gregory, because Williams was used in the same way. I would think you'd have noticed, guess not. Almost always doing a tackle read. His burst off the line when he's being asked to pass rush is great.

Possibly it would depend on several things. That is pretty much how I rank to top 8 draft-able players I would take at 8 in order of either how ready I think they are or potential I think they have. So yeah if all that was left out of that list was Beasley and Parker I would probably grab Parker because he is a perfect fit for the WCO offense. Out of the pass rushers mentioned here I think that Beasley and Ray are the worst fits at LEO.

That's strange because I think they are probably the two best LEO fits. Them and Gregory.

Not according to Pete Carroll....

Not every play is a passing play, he's got to be able to play the run or he's not going to be on the field except in obvious passing situations. The things, outside of rushing the passer, that Carroll says the LEO has to do well, Beasley doesn't do well at all.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2013/01/07/chris-clemons-out-bruce-irvin-will-step

There is a difference in "playing the run" and "maintain contain on the outside runs".

All that is saying is that he needs to be disciplined on the outside on possible run downs and don't lose containment. He doesn't have to set the edge. He just can't let the run get outside of him. It doesn't have as much to do with being physically strong at the point of attack as much as it does his positioning.

PS, I'm gonna blow your mind like that video apparently did for you and Gregory, because Williams was used in the same way. I would think you'd have noticed, guess not. Almost always doing a tackle read. His burst off the line when he's being asked to pass rush is great.

I actually knew that about Williams.

Compare Leonard Williams' USC tape to Tyson Jackson's LSU tape.