The Failure Of Republican Policies - Empirical Evidence.

No clue, I have no idea what those states have in place, what was in place prior to the current administration, what compromises were made, etc. It's not as cut and dry as you seem to want to make it appear to be and when it comes down to it, There's simply not enough information...

So it's something, but you don't know what, but you know that it's probably not the different party agendas and policies driving this. Okay.

There is enough information to definitively say that Republican states underperform Democratic ones in terms of economic performance and jobs.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3 words replaces all of that: Both parties suck...

And somehow that situation is systematically worse now than it was in 1960 because of a centuries long campaign of racism. You can't say you're "digging deep" when you chalk it all up to racism.

Politics- rich, powerful, snobby people telling the average person what's best for them.

Surely trout will agree that Nathan Deal should get his White House bid ready, given Georgia's nearly 11% job growth since 2011.

If his performance has been above the national average then good on him.

I'm just sick of people regurgitating the myth that cutting taxes for the wealthy and slashing spending on public services somehow translates into greater prosperity and jobs and higher revenue. It's a myth that is debunked by the economic performance in states that have enacted that agenda. And now some of the people who proved the failure of those policies want to be president pretending like those same policies will produce different results for the nation.

If his performance has been above the national average then good on him.

I'm just sick of people regurgitating the myth that cutting taxes for the wealthy and slashing spending on public services somehow translates into greater prosperity and jobs and higher revenue. It's a myth that is debunked by the economic performance in states that have enacted that agenda. And now some of the people who proved the failure of those policies want to be president pretending like those same policies will produce different results for the nation.

Did New Jersey, Wisconsin, and Louisiana lower taxes on high income earners?

Did New Jersey, Wisconsin, and Louisiana lower taxes on high income earners?

I'll have to check about Louisiana, but the answer is a definitive yes in Wisconsin and New Jersey:

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/15/03/03/christie-pushes-ahead-with-business-tax-cuts-racking-up-660m-in-lost-revenue/

The cuts created such a huge revenue gap in NJ that courts have ordered the state to come up with billions in revenue to cover pensions. In Wisconsin, similar story of cutting taxes and creating huge deficits that resulted in Walker cutting hundreds of millions from the University of Wisconsin's budget.

And similar story in Kansas, as well. Cut taxes, drive up deficits, and slash spending on things like education. There, several schools are closing early this year to make up for the budget cuts.

Somehow, the revenue promised from tax cuts never seems to manifest in these states.

Lo and behold, same story in Louisiana:

In Louisiana, Gov. Bobby Jindal pushed a big tax cut through the legislature after he took office seven years ago. Since then, the state budget has gone from a nearly $1 billion budget surplus in 2007-08 to a projected $1.6 billion shortfall for the budget year that begins July 1. Jindal, who long ago took a pledge never to raise taxes, has cut higher education and resorted to unsustainable one-time remedies such as draining reserve funds and selling state assets.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/03/08/tax-cuts-state-louisiana-gov-jindal-kansas-gov-brownback-editorials-debates/24616613/

Also, for completion sake, Martin O'Malley is going to have the same problems as these Republican governors - he left his state with a billion dollar deficit that is going to require spending cuts to fix. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get hammered over that if his campaign ever starts to take off.

Looks like Lincoln Chaffee right now is the only viable alternative to Hillary Clinton in the primaries. We'll see who else steps up to run, if anyone.

Edit: To be fair to O'Malley, on the other hand, he did inherit a $1.7 billion deficit from Republican Bob Ehrlich in 2007.

Nope. He advocated giving to the poor of your own free will. He did not advocate voting to have the Romans seize everyone's property and redistribute it.

If you want to be more like Jesus give out of your own pocket. Not other people's.

Agreed. Jesus advocated helping a brother in need. He was against lazy welfare-ites, as evidenced by 2 Thessalonians 3...

10For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, If any will not work, neither let him eat.

11For we hear of some that walk among you disorderly, that work not at all, but are busybodies.

12Now them that are such we command and exhort in the Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread

So it's something, but you don't know what, but you know that it's probably not the different party agendas and policies driving this. Okay.

There is enough information to definitively say that Republican states underperform Democratic ones in terms of economic performance and jobs.

Nice attempt to put words in my mouth but no, what I said is that there is not enough unbiased information to give the complete picture to determine one way or the other IMO...

Nice attempt to put words in my mouth but no, what I said is that there is not enough unbiased information to give the complete picture to determine one way or the other IMO...

There is enough information say for sure that the promises of supply side economics do not come true. Tax cuts do not pay for themselves - they only increase the deficit and do not offset in terms of economic growth or higher revenue. When people cut taxes for the wealthy, in other words, that causes revenue losses that is not compensated by economic growth.

There is enough information say for sure that the promises of supply side economics do not come true. Tax cuts do not pay for themselves - they only increase the deficit and do not offset in terms of economic growth or higher revenue. When people cut taxes for the wealthy, in other words, that causes revenue losses that is not compensated by economic growth.

I've already responded to that. You simply can't make that statement without knowing what other policies are in place, etc. So now that we've come full circle, I will simply agree to disagree with you stating this as a fact...

I've already responded to that. You simply can't make that statement without knowing what other policies are in place, etc. So now that we've come full circle, I will simply agree to disagree with you stating this as a fact...

What other policies were enacted that would explain the results? Burden is on you to show different policies in each state that results in revenue losses on this scale or economic sluggishness compared to the national average.

Kansas is the clearest of all these failures. They brought in Arthur Gaffer himself to consult with the policies. They claimed the tax cuts would result in huge economic gains and increased revenue. And they were shocked when year after year the revenues actually fell. Now they're in a gigantic deficit and slashing education spending to make up the difference.

How else do you explain it?

What other policies were enacted that would explain the results? Burden is on you to show different policies in each state that results in revenue losses on this scale or economic sluggishness compared to the national average.

Kansas is the clearest of all these failures. They brought in Arthur Gaffer himself to consult with the policies. They claimed the tax cuts would result in huge economic gains and increased revenue. And they were shocked when year after year the revenues actually fell. Now they're in a gigantic deficit and slashing education spending to make up the difference.

How else do you explain it?

I have no burden at all, I'm not the one taking a solid position. I'm saying I need more information to make a decision. I have no idea what policies were enacted or have remained in place nor do I have a complete picture to form a good opinion. That said, tax cuts in and of themselves don't increase revenue. They free up money to create more income through expansion, etc but that's where other policies also have to be in place in order to encourage growth. Anyone claiming simply lowering taxes is going to lead to economic success will be wrong every single time...

Terrible article and worse reasoning. I will give you a few examples. Lets compare texas to California.......Lets compare Ohio and Wisconsin's budget overHAULS to say Oregon and Washington....Lets compare what George B. did coming out of the dot.com colapse, then 9/11 and compare it to Obama's handling....."Man's got to know his limitations"

I have one city specifically detailing how democrats handle economics. DETROIT. And Um, then there was this Odd way of handling rioters....http://fusion.net/story/126587/the-odd-tactic-of-giving-baltimore-protesters-space-to-destroy-property/ What no one expected is what Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake admitted in a press conference on Sunday: that she asked the Baltimore Police Department to “give those who wished to destroy space to do that.”

I have no burden at all, I'm not the one taking a solid position. I'm saying I need more information to make a decision. I have no idea what policies were enacted or have remained in place nor do I have a complete picture to form a good opinion. That said, tax cuts in and of themselves don't increase revenue. They free up money to create more income through expansion, etc but that's where other policies also have to be in place in order to encourage growth. Anyone claiming simply lowering taxes is going to lead to economic success will be wrong every single time...

That's a cop out. That same mindset could be used to disregard any empirical evidence.

All of the scientific research shows climate change is real. "Oh, but we need more evidence because there could be these unspecified other things that could possibly maybe cause the same outcome and scientists haven't controlled for these things that I can't mention right now. So we don't have enough evidence to draw firm conclusions."

If you want to say other policies caused the outcome, then demonstrate it or at least name those other policies. Otherwise, you have speculation and I have the facts.

Terrible article and worse reasoning. I will give you a few examples. Lets compare texas to California.......Lets compare Ohio and Wisconsin's budget overHAULS to say Oregon and Washington....Lets compare what George B. did coming out of the dot.com colapse, then 9/11 and compare it to Obama's handling....."Man's got to know his limitations"

California is projecting $4 billion surplus over the next two years. I understand that Texas is projecting a large surplus, too. But as far as I know, Texas didn't have huge tax cuts during the last several years.

61664492.jpg

Typo, unfortunately.

Business and people ar bailing out of California, the north east, chicago, NY, because of over govt and taxation. Detroit is the clearest example of horrible liberal govt. California is in a budget nightmare because of their continued spending. They are also bankrupt on the Obamacare exchanges. High taxation and over governing, the principals of liberalism are disasters to business growth and individual incomes. Its as though the govt needs more and more with NO end in sight. It has created generations of welfare families.

Doesn't look like Texas wants to hold on to its surplus for very long:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150325-big-tax-cuts-clear-texas-senate-with-200-break-for-homeowners.ece

$4.6 billion tax cut in property and business taxes. We'll see how that works out for them in 2-3 years

Nevertheless, the Democrats argue that California is doing well. The question, however, is for whom? For some in the San Francisco Bay region and in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, it may well be. But overall, California ranks 46th worst in unemployment in the country at 8.5%, 45th in job creation, 50th as a business start-up climate and #1 in poverty. http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasdelbeccaro/2014/01/21/the-divided-and-troubled-state-of-california/2/

California is $1.1 trillion in debt. along with horrible education standards included a 60% dropout rate in minority areas in the hollywood area. Add the horrible highway conditions, the releasing of some 180,000 felons because of a laxing of prison space for felons and you've got a Wonderful state in peril of splitting.

Business and people ar bailing out of California, the north east, chicago, NY, because of over govt and taxation. Detroit is the clearest example of horrible liberal govt. California is in a budget nightmare because of their continued spending. They are also bankrupt on the Obamacare exchanges. High taxation and over governing, the principals of liberalism are disasters to business growth and individual incomes. Its as though the govt needs more and more with NO end in sight. It has created generations of welfare families.

Link?