Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Knight of God

Gurlie To Atlantie Nowie

Alternatively, Gurley is the next Cedric Benson, Ray gets 13 sacks in his rookie season, and Dupree seems mediocre at first before erupting as it "clicks" near the end of the season and leads the Saints defense to a championship. I don't believe all of that but we can play the "if" game forever.

Personally, I've been watching Gurley a lot more lately. He was my #1, and he might still be, but I'm less than impressed with his vision. There were several times I'd be watching him and I'd see a cutback lane open up, but instead he'd just plow through for a healthy four yards while his line paved the way. His line is a huge reason for his success.

His balance is otherworldly though. So good. That's the most impressive trait about Gurley for me, and it's super valuable. But not 8th pick in the draft valuable. Maybe - MAYBE if someone traded up with us. He's not a top 10 pick in the draft though, and he isn't on Peterson's level at all. You guys need to watch more Peterson, he creates something out of nothing constantly. Gurley is just great at making the most of certain opportunities.

Plus 1. I watch Melvin Gordon break first contact tackles 50% of the time after watching film on both him and Gurley. Gurley broke 20% percent of those similar tackles. Both broke 10% respectively with full body first contact. Both to me are less than stellar but then again it depends on the team in determining if Gurley will turn out great. I see Gurley lost in the offense if we don't improve our line. But I see Melvin Gordon a step better than Gurley. And I really don't see the hype other than a poster child at this point. We either go all out on defense or offense. There's no other way around it at this point.

Plus 1. I watch Melvin Gordon break first contact tackles 50% of the time after watching film on both him and Gurley. Gurley broke 20% percent of those similar tackles. Both broke 10% respectively with full body first contact. Both to me are less than stellar but then again it depends on the team in determining if Gurley will turn out great. I see Gurley lost in the offense if we don't improve our line. But I see Melvin Gordon a step better than Gurley. And I really don't see the hype other than a poster child at this point. We either go all out on defense or offense. There's no other way around it at this point.

I like Gordon too. Look, the only four players I don't want are Gregory, Dawson, Malcolm Brown (RB), and Peat.

based on?

I think Quinn is gonna give Schofield a solid chance at PT, plus we have Beirmann and Maponga coming back...

If we aren't drafting a "stud", ie. 1st or 2nd round pass rusher, the later round guy is gonna struggle to get PT...

I just don't see it, but that's me...

Beasley > what we have

Orchard > what we have

Golden ?????

I've silently been on this train for a while now if pass rushers are gone. If he's as much of a beast as he can be, it's a lay-up pick. True All Pro potential out the gate. He's young too. He or Scherff, but we need talent. Matt, Julio and Gurley would be nuts for a solid decade.

The problem I'm having is you have to convince people on every one of these pass rushers. There is no argument that needs to be made for Gurley.

I like Gordon too. Look, the only four players I don't want are Gregory, Dawson, Malcolm Brown (RB), and Peat.

Thank you. Finally someone that sees through the Dawson hype...guy is not athletic enough for the NFL and has terrible work ethic (according to media sources). Yes, he looked great on tape in some games, but I'd argue it was agst poor competition and Gary Patterson is a defensive mastermind at putting guys in good places to succeed...just me though...

I've silently been on this train for a while now if pass rushers are gone. If he's as much of a beast as he can be, it's a lay-up pick. True All Pro potential out the gate. He's young too. He or Scherff, but we need talent. Matt, Julio and Gurley would be nuts for a solid decade.

The problem I'm having is you have to convince people on every one of these pass rushers. There is no argument that needs to be made for Gurley.

100% agreed man. Even if he isn't everything some think, he's a weapon and will scare defensive coordinators...thus giving Ryan enough room to operate. Sometimes a good OL looks bad if you don't have the talent at RB. At least a threat.

Another one aboard

tumblr_muqgwqepMx1qbls2ko1_400.gif

+1

Thank you. Finally someone that sees through the Dawson hype...guy is not athletic enough for the NFL and has terrible work ethic (according to media sources). Yes, he looked great on tape in some games, but I'd argue it was agst poor competition and Gary Patterson is a defensive mastermind at putting guys in good places to succeed...just me though...

On Golden, I'm not sure how he rates, but I see your point and I love Schofield. Not a lot of production, but a dog. Also plays both end positions, inside, and two of the three LB positions.

As far as Dawson, I can go on about how avg the dude is. He's not good enough to get the hype he's getting on the boards. That is sheer desperation. Had some good production last year though, but I'm not sold for the pro's. maybe he proves me wrong.

A.C.L.

/thread

Stick around...I get plenty.

I think again the board is missing the point here much like your safety thread many months ago and how everybody cried when you said you would'nt mind if we kicked Lowery loose and improved with another player at that posiion because of coaching scheme or whatever.

I see much the same with going with Gurley at 8.

For me its about improving the team and there are several players at 8 that we can do this with.The fact that Gurley is one of them just mystifies the doubt on this guy.

He is like any other board favourite there are no guarantees regardless.

I just dislike the tunnel vision of some posters in saying if we don't get a pass rusher for example the team won't be any better for me this is the joke of it all.

No.

I would take, in no particular order, all of these players ahead of Gurley at 8.

Leonard Williams - BPA for days

Dante Fowler - High ceiling

Vic Beasely - Athlete and DPR

Amari Cooper - Smooth as silk, BPA and sets WR position for years if we lock Julio up this year

Kevin White - Two Julios anyone?

Medically cleared Shane Ray - Before the toe I'm happy with Ray at 8

Bud Dupree - I love the heigh ceiling, a bit scary but no scarier than taking an RB top 10

Scherff - I wouldn't love it, but i'd be feeling amazing about our line, best hog in the draft

Danny Shelton - Rare size and quickness combo. Not a perfect fit but you find a big role for him. Makes people around him better. Whatever happened to building from the inside out?

That's 9 ahead of him for me, ignoring QBs. I feel strongly about 5 of the 9 as way ahead of Gurley for our needs and just ahead on the need+talent equation all teams play with.

We have been crying out for a pass rusher for years, dammit we haven't had a great D Line since Kearney, Gravy, Rod and Abe.

I don't want a WR, but you take freakish talent when you can, and both guys have real chances at being elite WRs.

We don't 'need' a DT, but we need an elite one. Makes Shede look better instantly. Babs isn't getting any younger or better, same with Soliai and TJack

I like a monster at 8, preferably on the defensive line, and a back from the deep crop this year in the early/mid rounds... Abdullah anyone? 100% we have our eye on someone who could start for us in the 2nd/3rd. It's that kind of year for RBs.

Ok, ok, if all **** breaks loose and all of our guys are gone at 8, maybe. Maybe I get on board with it if we somehow steal a great pass rusher in the second (possible). He's a great player, but he's not AP.

Scherff would improve our running game more than Gurley would. With our needs drafting a RB at number 8 with espically how deep this year's class is, its incredibly stupid. I'm not even that high on Dupree and I would take him over Gurley at 8 if I had to chose one or the other. Like really go look at the pass rushers we have on this team. Your really willing to wait till the second to address our biggest need by far?

Seriously. I'm torn between Gurley and Dupree

Dupree easily at this point I would take Scherff over Gurley. I'm not against taking a RB at 8 if he is worth it. Gurley is not worth it he will probably make a good pro but given the injury he is a year away honestly from actually starting his rookie season.

ACLs aren't the same as 10 years ago. Everybody comes back from them.

With these injuries you are right it is not a physical struggle like it use to be but it is mental. It takes time to get the trust back and do the same things on it you once did.

You sure? Buddy might be better than Maponga, Jacques, Shembo and maybe even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGLilrHbwUc

Maybe, but I wouldn't but it wouldn't be definitive, IMO...I want someone that is a "serious upgrade", not a potentially marginal upgrade...That is what has gotten us into this situation...keep drafting 4-5th round guys thinking they are going to head over heels better than the previous 4-5th round guys on the team...NO