2014 Draft Could End Up Being A Steal

THE ICEMAN

Jake matthews who had a horrible year hopefully is healthy and learned enough to be a top tackle this year as he was touted to be. he did have his moments.

Hageman was turning into quite the player at the end of last year make me think why was this guy on the bench most of the year its not like he was in that much better shape he just didn't get playing time because of nolan. but looks to be in great shape this year and poised to be maybe the steal of the 2014 draft as he was said to have top 10 talent but very raw talent and the classic boom or bust type pick. he could end up being Quinns Michael bennett who has very similar skill set maybe even not quite the talent hageman is but having talent and applying it is another thing.

Southward will get his shot this year and as far as talent he has size speed and range could end up being another great pick if quinn can work his magic here i think Morris will actually pay a huge role in his development as well i think unlike the other three southwards best years may be two seasons from now but still can have a big impact this year.

Freeman had his moments last year and is a great fit for the zone scheme if the OL improves there run blocking{pass blocking came a long way thanks to schreader and stone last year} freeman could end up being a solid back for years maybe not what turner was or what gurley could be but a solid 1000 yard back that can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Shembo i listed because he got some playing time but i wasn't to impressed with him didn't think he was any better than the guy he replaced and now he's moving back to playing either the sam or leo in quinns scheme {maybe what he shouldn't been coming out of college} maybe he turns into an impact guy but the 4 in front of him have golden opportunities i'm not sure shembo gets that depending on how the draft plays out and who is selected.

Jacques smith was an undrafted guy last year who got some hype not sure if he develop into anything but he did play with some power and if he does anything well quinn will find it so i listed him as well.

i don't get all the flack TD and the scouts have gotten he has year after year drafted solid players and a few corner stone type guys in Ryan and Jones and possibly Matthews. Now has he found that gem of a steal no he hasn't but he has more times than not found guys who can contribute and maybe his biggest mistake was hiring smith even though they won a lot smith and his staff did a horrible job developing young talent. Ryan was great before he got here and Robiskie and White played a huge role in Julio's development and the team had a lot of veterans on it when Smith took over and as the team got younger over the last two seasons he just couldn't get the job done because leading wasn't enough he needed to be able help these guys develop which he obviously wasn't doing.

like last years free agency he wanted like blank pass rushers but smith and nolan wanted size to stop the run and scheme pressure looks like the boss and TD got the last laugh in that one. TD did have a trade in place or was rumored to have one to jump back up into the early 20s to grab Dee Ford who would have fit the Leo perfect as well but KC grabed him the pick before then demarcus lawrence who looks to be the pick was picked by the cowboys who did a great job disguising the pick as if TD knew he would have jump up and grabbed him but he didn't fall to them but in the end they maybe have gotten the steal of the draft in hageman.

gets you exited for this years draft thats for sure but also shows that if they want a pass rusher they better take him at 8 or go get one later in the 1st round instead of waiting until round 2 when everybody would know the pick will be a passrusher plus it'll cost quite a bit to jump infront of them at 8 vs in the 2nd.

Edited by THE ICEMAN

They'll find a way to pin the bad picks on TD, but award the good picks to Pioli.

Being fair, TD's picks have been pretty garbage at times. And I mean that. I hate a lot of TD's picks.

Meanwhile, last draft, the first Pioli draft, gave us Matthews, Hageman, Freeman, Shembo, Allen and Spruill...all players I really liked. I think I've liked maybe 3 picks of TD's in his best years.

Pioli is great for us. TD does well with cap, he does well with talent. I'm actually really comfortable saying we have one of the best front office combos in the NFL between those two if they have another good draft this year. I remember in years past we'd bring in so many players for visits I just didn't get the point of...this year, nearly everyone has a lot of upside. It's exciting. Hope it continues.

Being fair, TD's picks have been pretty garbage at times. And I mean that. I hate a lot of TD's picks.

Meanwhile, last draft, the first Pioli draft, gave us Matthews, Hageman, Freeman, Shembo, Allen and Spruill...all players I really liked. I think I've liked maybe 3 picks of TD's in his best years.

Pioli is great for us. TD does well with cap, he does well with talent. I'm actually really comfortable saying we have one of the best front office combos in the NFL between those two if they have another good draft this year. I remember in years past we'd bring in so many players for visits I just didn't get the point of...this year, nearly everyone has a lot of upside. It's exciting. Hope it continues.

TD was making the picks last year not pioli

this year pioli will be making the picks

Jake matthews who had a horrible year hopefully is healthy and learned enough to be a top tackle this year as he was touted to be. he did have his moments.

Hageman was turning into quite the player at the end of last year make me think why was this guy on the bench most of the year its not like he was in that much better shape he just didn't get playing time because of nolan. but looks to be in great shape this year and poised to be maybe the steal of the 2014 draft as he was said to have top 10 talent but very raw talent and the classic boom or bust type pick. he could end up being Quinns Michael bennett who has very similar skill set maybe even not quite the talent hageman is but having talent and applying it is another thing.

Southward will get his shot this year and as far as talent he has size speed and range could end up being another great pick if quinn can work his magic here i think Morris will actually pay a huge role in his development as well i think unlike the other three southwards best years may be two seasons from now but still can have a big impact this year.

Freeman had his moments last year and is a great fit for the zone scheme if the OL improves there run blocking{pass blocking came a long way thanks to schreader and stone last year} freeman could end up being a solid back for years maybe not what turner was or what gurley could be but a solid 1000 yard back that can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Shembo i listed because he got some playing time but i wasn't to impressed with him didn't think he was any better than the guy he replaced and now he's moving back to playing either the sam or leo in quinns scheme {maybe what he shouldn't been coming out of college} maybe he turns into an impact guy but the 4 in front of him have golden opportunities i'm not sure shembo gets that depending on how the draft plays out and who is selected.

Jacques smith was an undrafted guy last year who got some hype not sure if he develop into anything but he did play with some power and if he does anything well quinn will find it so i listed him as well.

i don't get all the flack TD and the scouts have gotten he has year after year drafted solid players and a few corner stone type guys in Ryan and Jones and possibly Matthews. Now has he found that gem of a steal no he hasn't but he has more times than not found guys who can contribute and maybe his biggest mistake was hiring smith even though they won a lot smith and his staff did a horrible job developing young talent. Ryan was great before he got here and Robiskie and White played a huge role in Julio's development and the team had a lot of veterans on it when Smith took over and as the team got younger over the last two seasons he just couldn't get the job done because leading wasn't enough he needed to be able help these guys develop which he obviously wasn't doing.

like last years free agency he wanted like blank pass rushers but smith and nolan wanted size to stop the run and scheme pressure looks like the boss and TD got the last laugh in that one. TD did have a trade in place or was rumored to have one to jump back up into the early 20s to grab Dee Ford who would have fit the Leo perfect as well but KC grabed him the pick before then demarcus lawrence who looks to be the pick was picked by the cowboys who did a great job disguising the pick as if TD knew he would have jump up and grabbed him but he didn't fall to them but in the end they maybe have gotten the steal of the draft in hageman.

gets you exited for this years draft thats for sure but also shows that if they want a pass rusher they better take him at 8 or go get one later in the 1st round instead of waiting until round 2 when everybody would know the pick will be a passrusher plus it'll cost quite a bit to jump infront of them at 8 vs in the 2nd.

the only guy out of the players you listed that I'm not sold on is southward. I just don't see the fit for him yet. I hope he turns that athleticism. Into some production. Jake Matthews should excel on our zone blocking scheme Edited by atlGM

I said all along our last two drafts have been killer. I think we'll finally see the fruits of that this year.

Last year's draft was way better than 2013 imo. I'm still convinced that Alford could have been taken in the 3rd rd. We basically threw away our 2nd rd. pick on a huge reach. And so far he's looked like 3rd rd. talent at best.

i said before last year's draft that the goal should be 2 starters and 2 quality backups with the first four picks (given how much Shembo played, they ended up with 5 contributors from the first 5 picks, which is great)/ Matthews and Freeman will be starters, with Hageman having a great chance to start as well. Southward has done nothing to warrant using a high 3rd round pick on him, but there is still time. Similar to using a 2nd round pick on Alford - the player isn't as bad as they may seem, it's just a matter of whether the Falcons mistakenly took them one round too early (thus missing out on better talent).

Given the draft order, ATL has a great shot to duplicate the feat from 2014 - two starters and two quality backups. That would go a loooong way toward filling roster holes. 8-9 contributors out of two drafts for a 53 man roster is solid.

i said before last year's draft that the goal should be 2 starters and 2 quality backups with the first four picks (given how much Shembo played, they ended up with 5 contributors from the first 5 picks, which is great)/ Matthews and Freeman will be starters, with Hageman having a great chance to start as well. Southward has done nothing to warrant using a high 3rd round pick on him, but there is still time. Similar to using a 2nd round pick on Alford - the player isn't as bad as they may seem, it's just a matter of whether the Falcons mistakenly took them one round too early (thus missing out on better talent).

Given the draft order, ATL has a great shot to duplicate the feat from 2014 - two starters and two quality backups. That would go a loooong way toward filling roster holes. 8-9 contributors out of two drafts for a 53 man roster is solid.

Agree 100% about Alford and Southward.

Last year's draft was way better than 2013 imo. I'm still convinced that Alford could have been taken in the 3rd rd. We basically threw away our 2nd rd. pick on a huge reach. And so far he's looked like 3rd rd. talent at best.

Agreed that last year's was the better of the two, but Tru was on point, I personally like Alf, and Ish did great last year for a late 7'th rounder. Lolo, Good, and Map have all done decently for where they were drafted, plus our UDFA's from that year were great, which I guess i'm counting; Worr and Schraed especially.

Southward was gonna be a project with big upside. He did enough last year considering the guys ahead of him on the depth chart. It will be interesting to see if he can take quickly to the new coaching. I still think his ceiling is through the roof.

What has he ever done to make you think that?