Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cooperbh

The Gurley Thread To End All Gurley Threads

People wanted Glenn Dorsey over Matt Ryan. They were desperate for Dline help then too.

The fatal flaw in your comparison there is that QBs are not shiny hood ornaments (nor are DTs, for that matter.)

I can name 8 Super Bowl winners from the last ten years that have sunk huge amounts of financial and/or draft capital into the QB position. Name one championship team that did the same for a RB. Just one.

I'll wait.

If I made the statement "Gurley is an injury waiting to happen", how would you make the argument to the contrary?

Every player on the roster is an injury waiting to happen. Ding.

If Gurley is the next great NFL RB, the Falcons wouldn't regret drafting him. When was the last time the Falcons were good without a RB who was playing good, if not great football?

I don't get how this is at all relevant. A good, if not great RB can be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. The majority are drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. Gurley isn't the only RB that'll be worth something from this draft. This is the best RB class in years.

The #8 pick in the 2015 Draft will average around $4 million a year for a 4 to 5 year contract. That's not overpaying to the Falcons for a great RB.

Giving up a top 10 draft pick for production that can be found in the mid rounds or through trade/free agency is grossly overpaying.

Again, look at the data and show me where championship teams are paying a premium for RBs. You can't. Because they don't.

Every player on the roster is an injury waiting to happen. Ding.

Not every player has the injury history that Gurley has. And if they did, they would not be considered first round material (in a re-draft). Dong.

Giving up a top 10 draft pick for production that can be found in the mid rounds or through trade/free agency is grossly overpaying.

Again, look at the data and show me where championship teams are paying a premium for RBs. You can't. Because they don't.

I told you they would ignore facts.

"If I made the statement "Gurley is an injury waiting to happen", how would you make the argument to the contrary?"

Normal quote function not working for me

I'm willing to take a chance on greatness. Rob Gronkowski is an injury waiting to happen. He tore his ACL in December of 2013 and was first team all-pro in 2014. The 2013 injury may have cost his team a Super Bowl. Some athletes are worth the risk.

It all depends on how good you believe Gurley is. I think he has a real chance of being an elite starting RB.

I told you they would ignore facts.

Is it me, or are there basically just three or four very vocal and willfully ignorant UGA homers who want to draft Gurley at #8? Because just about everyone else seems to get why it would be a horrible idea.

Was going to try and do a comparable list of DL/pass rushers drafted in the first round that went on to win a Super Bowl with their team but it's too long.

2014 Patriots: Vince Wilfork, Chandler Jones

2013 Seahawks: Bruce Irvin

2012 Ravens: Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata

2011 Giants: Jason Pierre Paul, Jimmy Kennedy

2010 Packers: BJ Raji, Clay Matthews

Yeah...I'm not doing 20 years of this. I guess we have Adrian Clayborn, right?

It's different because there are several DL on a team, but it doesn't seem to be a coincidence that most SB winners have a few first rounders in the trenches on defense.

Was going to try and do a comparable list of DL/pass rushers drafted in the first round that went on to win a Super Bowl with their team but it's too long.

2014 Patriots: Vince Wilfork, Chandler Jones

2013 Seahawks: Bruce Irvin

2012 Ravens: Terrell Suggs, Haloti Ngata

2011 Giants: Jason Pierre Paul, Jimmy Kennedy

2010 Packers: BJ Raji, Clay Matthews

Yeah...I'm not doing 20 years of this.

Same here. But like you said, that list would actually take time to compile, and I've already been on here long enough today.

Is it me, or are there basically just three or four very vocal and willfully ignorant UGA homers who want to draft Gurley at #8? Because just about everyone else seems to get why it would be a horrible idea.

unfortunately u are confounding people that want gurley vs gurley that want gurley at 8

Any position can be found in the mid to late rounds. Pass rushers can be found in the mid to late rounds.

The Seahawks just paid Lynch. The Ravens gave Rice a big contract before all the drama. The Colts have spent multiple first round picks on RBs over the Manning/Luck years. Do I really need to keep going? The Fact is that none of these teams are the 2015 Falcons. The 2015 Atlanta Falcons need a great RB.

"but, but you're ignoring facts!"

This is the part where you say my examples don't count because...reasons.

Any position can be found in the mid to late rounds. Pass rushers can be found in the mid to late rounds. The Seahawks just paid Lynch. The Ravens gave Rice a big contract before all the drama. The Colts have spent multiple first round picks on RBs over the Manning/Luck years. Do I really need to keep going? The Fact is that none of these teams are the 2015 Falcons. The 2015 Atlanta Falcons need a great RB. "but, but you're ignoring facts!" This is the part where you say my examples don't count because...reasons.

Can be. Can.

However, it's much easier to get a great pass rusher in the 1st and a great RB in the 2nd/3rd.

There is zero argument against that. "Gurley or bust" is the mentality of people here. It's like everyone's ignoring what a great line he ran behind and how good the other RBs on the roster did too. Reminds me of Alabama RBs, this coming from someone who does dig Gurley. Look at other RBs, the dropoff isn't that huge for some.

Well it's pretty obvious our four biggest needs are ER, FS, LG and RB. The question is, if you stay at eight do you take:

The #4 ER - Fowler, Beasley and either Ray or Gregory will likely be gone

The #1 FS - there is no FS with a first round grade. Collins is projected as a SS in the NFL

The #1 LG - there is no LG projected in the first round. Scherff is a tackle. A LG at eight would be an even bigger reach than a RB

The #1 RB - Gurlie to Atlantie

Now I know many of you Dimites will get locked into Dimi needs based drafting and go with the fourth best ER which is either Ray, Gregory or Bud. All three have as many or more question marks than Gurley. None would have the impact on this team that Gurley would have. But hey I know we will step on our weenies once again and reach for Busterson over Patrick Willis/Darelle Revis/Beast Mode, Jelly over Clay Matthews, or Spoon over BayBay/Dez Bryant. Make no mistake about it, some team will figure it out and draft the Gurley Man. Probably the Panties. If they do he'll likely run over our shiny new edge rusher twice a year and remind us how inept we are for the next eight seasons.

The anti-Gurley arguments are often based in cowering behind a position group or the defensive front 7. The Falcons have to pick a specific player. People who want Gurley know exactly who they want. They don't need to hide behind a position group or what some other team did 3 Draft ago. You have to pick a specific player to pass over Gurley for. Just keep in mind, there's a good chance Gurley dominated the defense he was part of in college.

I have compiled a comprehensive list of all the teams over the last 20 years that selected a RB with a top 10 draft pick and then went on to win a Super Bowl with that RB as their starter.

OK, ready? Here's the list:

1) Baltimore Ravens, Jamal Lewis (7th overall)

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Oh, you expected more? Well, how about all the teams over the last 20 years that took a RB anywhere in the 1st round that went on to win a Super Bowl with that RB as their starter?

1) Baltimore Ravens, Jamal Lewis (7th)

2) Dallas Cowboys, Emmitt Smith (17th)

3) Indianapolis Colts, Joseph Addai (30th)

Whew. Did that ever take some time to compile.

Still not satisfied, huh? Well, feast your eyes on this list of RBs who have won the Super Bowl MVP award over the last decade:

1) n/a

Umm...

Taking into consideration that three WRs have won that MVP award over the same span, along with how often the "WRs are nothing but shiny hood ornaments" platitude is regurgitated around here, what exactly does all this say about the value of RBs?

Finally, and most importantly, why was it necessary to change "Gurley" to "Gurlie" in order to make it rhyme with "Atlantie"? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just say "Gurley to Atlantey"? Yeah, you're welcome.

Great post sir. I enjoyed it.

AND.......THANK YOU!!!!

"A pass rusher" is just what I'm talking about. If these pass rushers are so great, why is their no consensus on which ones are most desirable for the Falcons? I have no doubt about the specific player I want the Falcons to take under a realistic scenario at pick 8.

"A pass rusher" is just what I'm talking about. If these pass rushers are so great, why is their no consensus on which ones are most desirable for the Falcons? I have no doubt about the specific player I want the Falcons to take under a realistic scenario at pick 8.

what? so you seriously want me to name the 70 or so players i want the falcons to take before gurley?