Thoughts On The Falcons O-Line? What Do You Think?

LG is the only hole. Hawley is terrific and young and I'd argue was the best player on our whole OL last year while healthy, and that wasn't even in a ZBS, which he's more suited to. Stone getting playing time due to the injury helps our depth, but you could tell our OL was a whole different beast with Hawley in. Asamoah is a rock and only 26. Schraeder was really good and if anything he's underrated, on top of being so young and athletic he's more suited to a ZBS. Perfect fit. Don't put a lot of stock in PFF but they love him too. Matthews is great when healthy and if the injury doesn't nag, he's yet another perfect young ZBS fit.

We might have the youngest line in the NFL, and we have depth too...biggest pick I'd recommend we look at is a G/T in the second, someone like Marpet who yes, is getting a lot of hype, but for once that hype is deserved. Remember Larry Warford? Totally different player, but Marpet has the potential to dominate just like Warford has, except in a ZBS. I really like our line foundation and I haven't been able to say that for...several long years.

Offensive line is the most important part of building a championship NFL team. At the very minimum, we need one more high quality starter and added depth. Yes, we need a pass rusher ... I get that .. but my biggest concern is how much we've forgotten the importance of improving our offensive line. Mike Tice isn't here anymore. If Beasley is there at # 8 we have to take him. Otherwise, I hope we some way, some how take Scherff. We have to think long term. No NFL GM has ever regretted building a dominant offensive line.

like I've said in other threads at this point if beasley's gone either trade back to like 12 and gain a extra second round from cleveland, or draft OG Brandon Scherff He is gonna be a beast and he sure up the left side with jake mattews at LT And Brandon Scherff at LG With Joe Hawley at C Jon asmoah at RG And Ryan Shraoder or how ever you spell it lol at RT (I think he is better than lamar holmes at RT and is a better fit for kyl's system)

Offensive line is the most important part of building a championship NFL team. At the very minimum, we need one more high quality starter and added depth. Yes, we need a pass rusher ... I get that .. but my biggest concern is how much we've forgotten the importance of improving our offensive line. Mike Tice isn't here anymore. If Beasley is there at # 8 we have to take him. Otherwise, I hope we some way, some how take Scherff. We have to think long term. No NFL GM has ever regretted building a dominant offensive line.

I wonder how the projected Zone Blocking scheme might help or hurt Matt Ryan as a QB? I think O-line protection of Matt Ryan is critical for the Falcons to have any type of success, not just this year but next year and the future moving forward. JMO....

We picked up Michael Person as a free agent OL. He played OT in college, but looks more like an OG. He played for the Rams, but I don't think that he logged much playing time. Here is the Combine analysis from the NFL:

STRENGTHS Person has the mentality you look. Capable of anchoring and holding up against the bull rush. Gets off the ball, establishes good initial position, and locks on when run blocking. Takes direct routes to targets at the second level. Has good football IQ and a lot of starting experience.

WEAKNESSES Lacks bulk for the NFL. Does not possess the athleticism to stick with edge rushers. Hat and hand placement need to improve. Leans and lunges on occasion. Doesn't get much movement off the ball when run blocking. Must adjust to a steep incline in competition level from the FCS level

It remains to be seen whether he can do a good job at LG for us.

Do you think the Falcons offensive line will be okay? Or should the Falcons draft a Offensive lineman in this 2015 draft? If so then at what point?

A better question is do you think a rookie Olineman will save our Oline in 2015?

I mean we took one at six last year and he got his as handed to him.

Better Olinemen were selected later.

We passed on players like Donald, Barr, Moseley and Beckham for yet another Dimi need.

I think I could show up to Flowery Branch tomorrow and push these dudes around. There hasn't been a man on the Falcons o-line since Clabo left. I do like Matthews potential. Hawley and Schreder are NFL back-ups. Baker has a mangina and Lamar Holmes is worthless as boobs on a bull. Serious. I could walk into the Branch tomorrow and take these dudes manhood away.

Our oline is in need of an upgrade at several positions. Asamoah is the only player we can depend on. One, because he is the only starter that is somewhat healthy. Everyone else is coming off of major injuries. We need to draft a LG and probably a tackle as well. I would let Stone, Konz, and Hawley compete at Center.

A better question is do you think a rookie Olineman will save our Oline in 2015?

We passed on players like Donald, Barr, Moseley and Beckham for yet another Dimi need.

Drafting Matthews - well dude could end up being Dimi's second best draft pick ever. Yall already know the family legacy. He was on the top four TATF 2014 wish list with GRob, Mack and the Clown and fell to us. He was touted as the most NFL ready pick. I think he will be a ten year player. But like his daddy said in a recent radio interview, he will struggle in the run and pass game as an NFL rook, but likely end up being a solid player for years to come. I agree

Funny what you said last year. Hindsight is a mean mother, huh? You loved the pick then and now you're busting his chops for it. This is a consistency for you and it kind of annoys the heIl out of me.

If Scherff pans out a LG we could have a strong unit...some depth as well.

Having a lot of young guys get playing time last year will hopefully carry over this season.

Good Point. That's kinda why I started this thread, it seems all the talk around here on the forums has been about the pass rush and defense. But the offensive line still needs fixing also.

I don't get it at this point. A few here replying in this thread have said : Less wait until the draft. And rightfully so I guess.

Thing is, the Falcons have been mentioned as using a Zone Blocking scheme. I don't study football as much as most of you do, or have played it as much.

So my question is : "Would a Zone Blocking scheme given the Falcons current O-line roster, would it make them a better team based on player personal?".

Or does that all depend on play calls?

Have posted thus in another thread...

I'd be pleased if the first four picks went like this:

1) best edge rusher available

2) best OL available

3) best WR available

4) best RB available

OL is not satisfactory yet

I agree. I like your order on the draft and pick choices by the way. You really don't need names, just capable players is what it boils down to, because no matter who you draft if the play calls and coaches don't make the right calls those players will have no impact either way in my opinion.....