To Those Wanting A Rb In The First Round

Just laying out the facts, not trying to invalidate anyone's opinion. Just want to offer my own and try and convince others that we can fix - or take a big step towards fixing - both the pass rush and the run this year. Imo, it can't be broken down to individual players, but I'd argue what we mostly need is a top 15 sack guy, and I'd also like a top 15 back. Not going to do every year, but this is a pattern every year, feel free to try and disprove me yourself. I encourage it. Anyways, here's a list of 2014 leaders by when they were drafted:

Sack Leaders

Justin Houston (3rd round)

JJ Watt (1st round)

Elvis Dumervil (4th round)

Mario Williams (1st round)

Connor Barwin (2nd round)

Von Miller (1st round)

Ryan Kerrigan (1st round)

Jason Pierre Paul (1st round)

Terrell Suggs (1st round)

Everson Griffen (4th round)

Cameron Wake (UDFA)

Paul Kruger (2nd round)

Clay Matthews (1st round)

Robert Quinn (1st round)
Demarcus Ware (1st round)

Rushing Leaders

Demarco Murray (3rd round)

Leveon Bell (2nd round)

Lesean McCoy (2nd round)

Marshawn Lynch (1st round)

Justin Forsett (7th round)

Arian Foster (UDFA)

Eddie Lacy (2nd round)

Jeremy Hill (2nd round)

Frank Gore (3rd round)

Lamarr Miller (4th round)

Alfred Morris (6th round)

Matt Forte (2nd round)

Jamaal Charles (3rd round)

Mark Ingram (1st round)

Joique Bell (UDFA)

There are coincidences, and anomalies, but this is neither. Our best shot is to take a pass rusher in the first - not to reach for one, but if our pass rusher is there, to target him - and to target a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. I want a run game as much as you do, but you sacrifice the pass rush for the run if you take a RB in the first, whereas taking a DE/OLB in the first doesn't sacrifice the run game at all. I just think that's what's best for the team.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can throw out all of the facts in the world that show it's stupid to take a RB in the top 10 and these guys won't care.

They're going against every single thing they preached to the board last year about fixing the lines first because the dude plays for UGA.

They're clearly thinking with emotions and not logic much like females.

You can throw out all of the facts in the world that show it's stupid to take a RB in the top 10 and these guys won't care.

They're going against every single thing they preached to the board last year about fixing the lines first because the dude plays for UGA.

They're clearly thinking with emotions and not logic much like females.

This is somewhat of an oversimplification of why Gurley is a hot commodity for many posters here.

I wholeheartedly agree that the pass rush is the first thing that needs to be fixed but if there's not a pass rusher there when we pick that the FO, and more importantly Dan Quinn, like then I don't want to blow a pick on a pass rusher for the sake of a pass rusher. In this case, is be fine with taking Gurley and targeting a guy like Harold as a trade up option at the end of round 1.

That said:

Pick Beastley!!!

This is somewhat of an oversimplification of why Gurley is a hot commodity for many posters here.

I wholeheartedly agree that the pass rush is the first thing that needs to be fixed but if there's not a pass rusher there when we pick that the FO, and more importantly Dan Quinn, like then I don't want to blow a pick on a pass rusher for the sake of a pass rusher. In this case, is be fine with taking Gurley and targeting a guy like Harold as a trade up option at the end of round 1.

That said:

Pick Beastley!!!

What about Collins? What about Waynes?

We have more holes on defense than pass rusher.

Sure we do. But if we can't rush the passer, we better be able to keep the other offense off the field with a run game. Collins is a nice player and so is Waynes.

My problem with Waynes is we just put two high round picks at bc knowing Alford would be somewhat of a project. It scares me to inject that much more capital in the way of draft picks in the secondary because we don't even know what we have with all the young talent there that has NEVER played with a pass rush. We KNOW we don't have one of those.

I take comfort knowing that if we don't take a pass rusher at 8, then Quinn didn't like the prospects enough to do so.

Also, not a UGA homer at all. I pull for no college team.

Sure we do. But if we can't rush the passer, we better be able to keep the other offense off the field with a run game. Collins is a nice player and so is Waynes.

My problem with Waynes is we just put two high round picks at bc knowing Alford would be somewhat of a project. It scares me to inject that much more capital in the way of draft picks in the secondary because we don't even know what we have with all the young talent there that has NEVER played with a pass rush. We KNOW we don't have one of those.

I take comfort knowing that if we don't take a pass rusher at 8, then Quinn didn't like the prospects enough to do so.

Also, not a UGA homer at all. I pull for no college team.

It's easy to tell who the homers are. You don't have to explain yourself to a nobody like me lol.

IMO if the unthinkable happens and no defensive player is worth pick #8 then the only other option is to continue to invest in the OL. A great OL makes the entire offense better. It will strengthen an investment on a RB later in the draft. It'll keep Ryan upright. We'll be able to get those 3rd and 4th and shorts. The benefits are numerous.

None of the players mentioned are in the 2015 Draft. History is relevant, but every Draft is still different.

and furthermore, if taking a pass rusher was always a better pick than a RB, Jamaal Anderson would be better than Marshawn Lynch.

I never said always. It just tends to be easier to land a good pass rusher in the first while also landing a good RB in the 2nd or 3rd.

Anderson was a reach, that was pretty obvious. It's not like Barkevious Mingo or someone like that where I was predicting him to be really successful (though Browns fans really think this third year will be good for him, apparently he's one of the better run defending OLBs now and his pass rush has improved by leaps and bounds).

It's just factually easier to satisfy both needs by following that model. I don't want us to reach for a pass rusher in the first either, I'm just getting irritated by people acting like all of them will bust when the RB depth in the 2nd and 3rd round is totally incomparable to the pass rush depth there. You'd think I was saying we shouldn't draft a RB at all, not that I still think we could use a top 3 pick on em.

It's easy to tell who the homers are. You don't have to explain yourself to a nobody like me lol.

IMO if the unthinkable happens and no defensive player is worth pick #8 then the only other option is to continue to invest in the OL. A great OL makes the entire offense better. It will strengthen an investment on a RB later in the draft. It'll keep Ryan upright. We'll be able to get those 3rd and 4th and shorts. The benefits are numerous.

lol. Good. I'd be alright going OL if there's not a good defensive fit at 8. Saw a mock the other day that had us taking Andrus Peat and moving Jake back to RT, stating Peat wasn't a fit at rt and Jake has experience there. Now, I don't like that pick but I don't think that's on the radar tbh.

I still think that we have a real good chance at having the opportunity to draft Beasley. And that's what I ultimately want.

Drafting a RB in the first round is butt-monkey stupid.

Drafting an injury-plagued, gimpy RB who might not even play this year is beyond and beneath stupid. Anyone who believes we should draft Gurley should be sterilized before they can further dilute the gene pool.

If you want to help the run game at #8, Scherff is going to make as big a difference as a RB, and will also help keep Matt Ryan healthy in the passing game.

If you have advocated Gurley at #8, you owe this entire board an apology. You owe all of HUMANITY an apology.

Because we spent a 1st, a 2nd and TWO 3rd in the last two drafts on our secondary. I'd rather draft a rb in the first than any cornerback or safety. People carp about "reaching" for Dupree yet think drafting Collins, a guy projected as a late 1st early 2nd round pick would be a smart move.

Because we spent a 1st, a 2nd and TWO 3rd in the last two drafts on our secondary. I'd rather draft a rb in the first than any cornerback or safety. People carp about "reaching" for Dupree yet think drafting Collins, a guy projected as a late 1st early 2nd round pick would be a smart move.

I'm an advocate of OL if we don't go pass rusher @ 8. I was just throwing out examples.

You have the rarest of traits: wisdom.

Gregory, Beasley, Scherff. In that order.

Edited by etherdome

You have the rarest of traits: wisdom.

Gregory, Beasley, Scherff. In that order.

If we decided to trade down into the 12-15 range I'd love to snatch up Cameron Erving. Dude can literally play anywhere on the line. That is invaluable. He's highly athletic and a perfect fit in a ZBS. He'd be our day 1 LG. If Hawley doesn't work out then we have our center of the future.