Matt Ryan Fired Up For Kyle Shanahan's Falcons Attack

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484876/article/matt-ryan-fired-up-for-kyle-shanahans-falcons-attack

One reason we expect the Falcons to improve on last year's measly six-win total: Kyle Shanahan.

After milking impressive production out of a milquetoast roster in Cleveland, Atlanta's new offensive coordinator now inherits a bona fide franchise passer in Matt Ryan.

"First and foremost, he has a ton of experience," Ryan said of Shanahan, per the team's official website. "He's a young guy, but he has a ton of experience. I've enjoyed working with Kyle so far and Matt LaFleur, our quarterbacks coach, as well. I think there's been really good collaboration on the offensive side. We've got a lot of work to do, a lot of time and effort to put in. The first couple of days have been really, really good."

Ryan thrived under former Falcons play-caller Dirk Koetter, but Shanahan brings an impressive resume of his own.

The creative schemer was the architect for Robert Griffin III's sensational rookie campaign in 2012 after helping a younger Matt Schaub author the finest years of his career in Houston. Before the wheels fell off in Cleveland last autumn, Shanahan was talked about as an Assistant Coach of the Year candidate for the early results he produced with Brian Hoyer.

Shanahan's run-first philosophy might lower some of Ryan's gaudy totals from previous seasons, but the coordinator has shown an ability to morph his approach around the talent on his roster.

The new attack still promises big numbers for Pro Bowl wideout Julio Jones. During his two seasons as Texans OC in 2008 and 2009, Shanahan unleased Andre Johnson for back-to-back league-leading outbursts of 1,575 and 1,569 receiving yards, respectively. In Washington, Pierre Garcon busted loose under Shanny for 1,346 yards off an NFL-best 113 catches in 2013.

New coach Dan Quinn was hired to fix Atlanta's scattershot defense, but maintaining Atlanta's high-powered offense remains an equal priority. With Shanahan at the controls, we like their chances.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People talk about Kyle grinding out 1000 yard rushers, which is great that he's got a handle on the running game, but I really think what he'll contribute to the passing offense is getting underrated. I've been praying to see Ryan in a WCO for so long, I really can't wait to see what our offense looks like this year. So many of our players were our of position, be it Ryan, our O-Line all being out of place in a power scheme, JJ running so many route trees that didn't play to his strengths... it will be so different this year, I love it.

People talk about Kyle grinding out 1000 yard rushers, which is great that he's got a handle on the running game, but I really think what he'll contribute to the passing offense is getting underrated. I've been praying to see Ryan in a WCO for so long, I really can't wait to see what our offense looks like this year. So many of our players were our of position, be it Ryan, our O-Line all being out of place in a power scheme, JJ running so many route trees that didn't play to his strengths... it will be so different this year, I love it.

Not to mention his big QBs the last several years have been Schaub, RG3, and Hoyer...none of whom looked nearly as good without him. With Ryan? Look out.

Not to mention his big QBs the last several years have been Schaub, RG3, and Hoyer...none of whom looked nearly as good without him. With Ryan? Look out.

Kyle definitely knows how to play his guys to their strengths, no doubt. Look at the differences in play style between all the guys he's coached, and they all did better with him than ever without him.

Kyle definitely knows how to play his guys to their strengths, no doubt. Look at the differences in play style between all the guys he's coached, and they all did better with him than ever without him.

That's the concept of everyone signed it seems. Even Raheem Morris. Playing to their strengths. Not sure how Clayborn will be used though.

We finally have an OC I've been asking for for a long time... a guy who gameplans each opponent as opposed to a guy who allows the defense to dictate the route scheme, or installs an offense at the beginning of the season and runs the same thing over, and over, and over...

... and over, and over...

Recently that has changed. He grew on me. Took nearly a decade though. Never liked him before man, but he's behind on the sled for me anyways. I don't like QB's, but the one's I do like I will defend with a passion.

Haha same! It's funny, I liked him a bunch in 2008 and parts of 2009, then 2010-most of 2012 happened and dude was just...I dunno, not the same. I feel like the adversity helped him. I'm just happy I like him so much now, people used to get real pissed at me for ever daring to agree with Swift/#1 pick/Muskoka and all those dudes, I remember you were part of that too. Say something about Ryan being in the 10-15 range for QBs and you get laid into...he's def progressed though. I feel real good about him going forward. Just gotta fix that run game and defense. Get some nasty people who want to have fun and bully the people on the other side of the LOS. That's what I'm about.

Haha same! It's funny, I liked him a bunch in 2008 and parts of 2009, then 2010-most of 2012 happened and dude was just...I dunno, not the same. I feel like the adversity helped him. I'm just happy I like him so much now, people used to get real pissed at me for ever daring to agree with Swift/#1 pick/Muskoka and all those dudes, I remember you were part of that too. Say something about Ryan being in the 10-15 range for QBs and you get laid into...he's def progressed though. I feel real good about him going forward. Just gotta fix that run game and defense. Get some nasty people who want to have fun and bully the people on the other side of the LOS. That's what I'm about.

I'm still not sold on all of the super high estimations, but that doesn't have to be the case for me to like a player. Ryan has sand and that's what I respect most in a QB. Toughness. Mental and physical. I stopped caring what others thought on the subject and I started liking him in my own way. But then too, I'm hoping for great things here. I also love the fact we will see the run make a comeback. Hopefully with a runningback of higher measure than Freeman.

Let's just hope he keeps that JJ/Hester bubble screen and uses it to the point of nausea...../purp

ummm...you guys need to quit with "turning anyone into a successful back". That's not true.

successful doesn't mean all pro but he can get us a top 15 run game with late round picks and who we currently have. And middle of the pack with our passing game would be more than enough to make a huge difference

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484876/article/matt-ryan-fired-up-for-kyle-shanahans-falcons-attack

One reason we expect the Falcons to improve on last year's measly six-win total: Kyle Shanahan.

After milking impressive production out of a milquetoast roster in Cleveland, Atlanta's new offensive coordinator now inherits a bona fide franchise passer in Matt Ryan.

"First and foremost, he has a ton of experience," Ryan said of Shanahan, per the team's official website. "He's a young guy, but he has a ton of experience. I've enjoyed working with Kyle so far and Matt LaFleur, our quarterbacks coach, as well. I think there's been really good collaboration on the offensive side. We've got a lot of work to do, a lot of time and effort to put in. The first couple of days have been really, really good."

Ryan thrived under former Falcons play-caller Dirk Koetter, but Shanahan brings an impressive resume of his own.

The creative schemer was the architect for Robert Griffin III's sensational rookie campaign in 2012 after helping a younger Matt Schaub author the finest years of his career in Houston. Before the wheels fell off in Cleveland last autumn, Shanahan was talked about as an Assistant Coach of the Year candidate for the early results he produced with Brian Hoyer.

Shanahan's run-first philosophy might lower some of Ryan's gaudy totals from previous seasons, but the coordinator has shown an ability to morph his approach around the talent on his roster.

The new attack still promises big numbers for Pro Bowl wideout Julio Jones. During his two seasons as Texans OC in 2008 and 2009, Shanahan unleased Andre Johnson for back-to-back league-leading outbursts of 1,575 and 1,569 receiving yards, respectively. In Washington, Pierre Garcon busted loose under Shanny for 1,346 yards off an NFL-best 113 catches in 2013.

New coach Dan Quinn was hired to fix Atlanta's scattershot defense, but maintaining Atlanta's high-powered offense remains an equal priority. With Shanahan at the controls, we like their chances.

tldr u don't think he will make a diff? No?

I keep saying it.....so I'm going to say it again Matthew Thomas Ryan is definitely going to shine this year because he's going back to his roots.

Plus I feel like Matt Ryan has been a excellent quarterback since day one the problem is that I felt like in some cases I felt he was being held back so should I say after Bill Musgrave who was relieved of his duties and who was the quarterbacks coach at the time and who was also a disciple of the West Coast Offense....I felt like Musgrave's departure hurt matt in a big way then what a lot of people realized...

And for some people that still doubt this dude or hate him for whatever reason....

because sometimes it kills me when I hear people say "oh he's not a leader" he's boring" "we need to trade him" or "he needs to give the money back" I mean sometimes I ask myself do we really know what we're watching or we just saying s*** out of emotion????

successful doesn't mean all pro but he can get us a top 15 run game with late round picks and who we currently have. And middle of the pack with our passing game would be more than enough to make a huge difference

You still have to be able to do what he needs you to do. Thing is, there are certain traits that he'll be looking for in his backs, and, while he may be able to find players with these traits later on, the later that it gets, the less common said players will become. He can coach good things out of them, but only if they were already there to be coached out to begin with.