The Leo Position

I know people have their eyes set to draft a pass rusher in the 1st but looking at the way the Seahawks played that position with undrated players (Clemons & Bennett) makes me believe that this position (much like a ZBS RB) may be a system based position where you need a certain type of athlete to produce. I haven't dug much further than the Seahawks, but I know Clemons produced well with the Jags in the same role and system.

I know people have their eyes set to draft a pass rusher in the 1st but looking at the way the Seahawks played that position with undrated players (Clemons & Bennett) makes me believe that this position (much like a ZBS RB) may be a system based position where you need a certain type of athlete to produce. I haven't dug much further than the Seahawks, but I know Clemons produced well with the Jags in the same role and system.

More accurate would be saying they used Irvin, before switching him to SAM and largely playing Cliff Avril there. Bennett mostly played LE and slid in to 3T with occasional LEO snaps, and Clemons played there but didn't play there under Quinn at all.

More accurate would be saying they used Irvin, before switching him to SAM and largely playing Cliff Avril there. Bennett mostly played LE and slid in to 3T with occasional LEO snaps, and Clemons played there but didn't play there under Quinn at all.

Point taken. Avril was still a 3rd round pick, the more I think about it, the more I believe we may address this position in the later rounds.

Over thinking this way too much.. if you have a chance to address a need with tla top tier talent at the position, you dnt settle for a guy in the 3rd.

Thats possibly samething with taking torry smith instead of julio cause just because we can get a wr in a later rd. thats foolish in every way.(theres no guarantee in the draft or players)

Your 1st pick is usually a pick of biggest need cause nobody wants to mess up their 1st rd pick. Our biggest need IS pass rusher no doubt about it. Just pick the **** pass rusher and be done with it. We may be even picking more then 1 anyway for depth.

But you shoildnt try and compare two different organizations and draft philosophies.. thats a big mistake.

Over thinking this way too much.. if you have a chance to address a need with tla top tier talent at the position, you dnt settle for a guy in the 3rd.

Thats possibly samething with taking torry smith instead of julio cause just because we can get a wr in a later rd. thats foolish in every way.(theres no guarantee in the draft or players)

Your 1st pick is usually a pick of biggest need cause nobody wants to mess up their 1st rd pick. Our biggest need IS pass rusher no doubt about it. Just pick the **** pass rusher and be done with it. We may be even picking more then 1 anyway for depth.

But you shoildnt try and compare two different organizations and draft philosophies.. thats a big mistake.

Nah, I don't believe I am reaching at all. If this position is based on scheme, much like a ZBS RB, then you don't need a top tier pick. Granted it is nice to have, but wouldn't be a necessity. Actually I am comparing a position and scheme, rather than organizational draft philosophies. Edited by Sidecar Falcon

I think that applies to Gus Bradley more so than Quinn who signed Bennett to play LDE and Avril to play LEO letting Red Bryant and Chris Clemons walk signing with Bradley.

To your point, Bradley got 20.5 sacks from four LEO's last year the highest drafted being inherited 2nd rder Andre Branch(3) who was equaled by 5th rd rookie Smith(3). Undrafted Clemons(8) led the way with undrafted Ryan Davis(6.5) second. That is why I dont think Gus drafts Folwer at 3. DT SenDerrick Marks led the team with 8.5 sacks and they added Jared Odrick who only had 1 sack last year but averaged 5 each of the last 3 years. Odrick is a DT alongside Marks IMO making Leonard Williams the best fit for them pushing Tyson Alualu(2) back to second string at LDE. That gives them 4 DL with 5-8 sack potential.

Edited by Ryan_2.0_WCO

I think that applies to Gus Bradley more so than Quinn who signed Bennett to play LDE and Avril to play LEO letting Red Bryant and Chris Clemons walk signing with Bradley.

To your point, Bradley got 20.5 sacks from four LEO's last year the highest drafted being inherited 2nd rder Andre Branch(3) who was equaled by 5th rd rookie Smith(3). Undrafted Clemons(8) led the way with undrafted Ryan Davis(6.5) second. That is why I dont think Gus drafts Folwer at 3. DT SenDerrick Marks led the team with 8.5 sacks and they added Jared Odrick who only had 1 sack last year but averaged 5 each of the last 3 years. Odrick is a DT alongside Marks IMO making Leonard Williams the best fit for them pushing Tyson Alualu(2) back to second string at LDE. That gives them 4 DL with 5-8 sack potential.

Excellent stats. I agree that if Williams is on the board when Jags pick, he will be their selection.

You young guys need to be getting your education in football ops as the next gen. There are a couple of you who would make terrific scouts. You as well.

I've thought about some type of football career but here the traveling is just as bad as military deployments.

I need a boring office job so I can come home every night after this ish

If we were to look solely at athletes who fit the physical profile stated by Quinn, then our choices for Leo are Gregory or Hunter.

He has emphasized length and explosiveness more than any other aspect, and these two guys have it in spades.

Given Gregory's many issues I would actually be in favor of racking up more early picks and moving back to get Hunter.

Edited by FalconAge

You young guys need to be getting your education in football ops as the next gen. There are a couple of you who would make terrific scouts. You as well.

Man, I would love to be an NFL scout. That would be amazing, getting paid to do my favourite hobby.

I've thought about some type of football career but here the traveling is just as bad as military deployments.

I need a boring office job so I can come home every night after this ish

You could find one of those in the NFL. ;)

Man, I would love to be an NFL scout. That would be amazing, getting paid to do my favourite hobby.

Get to work man. You have little time to waste. I think you'd be a good one man.

Honestly I wouldn't think it'd hurt to solidify the line or our secondary by selecting Schreff or Waynes round 1 then get a combo of players in other rounds to help out the defense.

Like Shaq Thomspon,Eric Kendricks,Trey Flowers, Iggy (from UCLA),Markus Golden,etc.

Agreed. I think OL maybe the way to go in the first. No one defensive player will make our defense do a 180 (I truly believe scheme will do this). However with the drafting of Schreff we will have a pair of book end tackles to aid both the passing and running game.

If we were to look solely at athletes who fit the physical profile stated by Quinn, then our choices for Leo are Gregory or Hunter.

He has emphasized length and explosiveness more than any other aspect, and these two guys have it in spades.

Given Gregory's many issues I would actually be in favor of racking up more early picks and moving back to get Hunter.

Hunter? Are you serious? He lacks explosiveness off the snap. Consistently the last player to start moving on the line as LSU. Very poor hand technique. He's really a 4th round prospect, but due to his combine numbers, is going to go much higher than that. Not to say that he doesn't have NFL ability, but this guy needs a LOT of work. He's at least a 3 year project. All the athleticism in the world though.

Edited by gHost83

Hunter? Are you serious? He lacks explosiveness off the snap. Consistently the last player to start moving on the line as LSU. Very poor hand technique. He's really a 4th round prospect, but due to his combine numbers, is going to go much higher than that. Not to say that he doesn't have NFL ability, but this guy needs a LOT of work. He's at least a 3 year project. All the athleticism in the world though.

When I say explosive I mean able to convert speed to power, pushing his man off the spot. I'm pretty sure LSU asks their ends to do a bit of read/react similar to Nebraska. Gregory being somewhat slow to react is the knock on him as well.

Hunter had plenty of TFLs and was in the backfield consistently. Learning to use his hands would have netted him plenty of sacks.

I remember the 2010 Seahawks and it looked like they had a hole the size of the Grand Canyon at defensive end. Obviously they saw something in guys like Clemons and Red Bryant at the time. Quinn may have a plan at defensive end that doesn't involve using our first round pick at the position.