You, Yes You!, Are Thinking About The Draft Incorrectly - I Am Too.

One of the things that I struggle with, and most of the posters here do as well, is to think of the draft filling immediate needs and expecting rookies to have immediate impact. "Drafting for need" is valid, but should be considered as intermediate need, not Week 1, 2015 need.

Look at last year - Khalil Mack was the defensive rookie, but really only came on in the second half of the season. Clowney (and Matthews) got hurt and both should be much better this year. The only first round picks from last year that had early impact were Zack Martin, Sammy Watkins and maybe Aaron Donald.

What we really need is high potential playmakers - guys that will make multiple ProBowls - at key positions (DE, O-line, RB, CB, etc.) So far, in the Dimitroff era (I admit to still being a fan of him), we have the following players who fit that mold:

• Matt Ryan, Julio Jones. (William Moore, Desmond Trufant, Jake Matthews, Matt Bosher, fit too)

Players with ProBowl potential on roster: Hageman, maybe Southward.

A draft with a big time edge rusher (Fowler, Beasley, Dupree, Ray, Gregory), a high end RB (Gurley, Gordon) and a late round hit like Chancellor or Sherman (maybe DE's Odighizuwa or Henry Anderson) would be among the best drafts of all time. If we have to trade around to get this, fine.

But, don't think Week 1 2015. Think starting lineup 2016.

UPDATED: added William Moore to list of ProBowlers. Arguably, we also drafted two more potentials: Curtis Lofton and Sean Weatherspoon.

I never expect the draft to give us an immediate impact. It can, but I don't count on it.

Fix the problem in free agency and build for the future via the draft. That's why I would be completely cool with finding a trade partner and moving back if Beasley is gone by 8; that way we get more picks and prospects to develop together.

I never expect the draft to give us an immediate impact. It can, but I don't count on it.

Fix the problem in free agency and build for the future via the draft. That's why I would be completely cool with finding a trade partner and moving back if Beasley is gone by 8; that way we get more picks and prospects to develop together.

Well said +1

One of the things that I struggle with, and most of the posters here do as well, is to think of the draft filling immediate needs and expecting rookies to have immediate impact. "Drafting for need" is valid, but should be considered as intermediate need, not Week 1, 2015 need.

Look at last year - Khalil Mack was the defensive rookie, but really only came on in the second half of the season. Clowney (and Matthews) got hurt and both should be much better this year. The only first round picks from last year that had early impact were Zack Martin, Sammy Watkins and maybe Aaron Donald.

What we really need is high potential playmakers - guys that will make multiple ProBowls - at key positions (DE, O-line, RB, CB, etc.) So far, in the Dimitroff era (I admit to still being a fan of him), we have the following players who fit that mold:

• Matt Ryan, Julio Jones. (Desmond Trufant, Jake Matthews, Matt Bosher, fit too)

A draft with a big time edge rusher (Fowler, Beasley, Dupree, Ray, Gregory), a high end RB (Gurley, Gordon) and a late round hit like Chancellor or Sherman (maybe DE's Odighizuwa or Henry Anderson) would be among the best drafts of all time. If we have to trade around to get this, fine.

Great post, except Odigzuwa(?) is a late first round prospect now. Not late rounder. Otherwise, great post man.

Well said. This is why I'm puzzled that people are so vehemently against one position or player. The team has already set it's self up to be a non-contender in 2015. Why be so myopic as to think drafting one particular player at one position is going to matter in 2015? It's next year and beyond that matters now.

Your 1st and 2nd rounders are pretty much expected to start right away (with leniency towards 2nd rounders) but almost always these two rounds are must hits. Those players must make an impact (certainly not their max impact but do need to be productive).

There's no team in the NFL that drafts strictly BPA. Each team drafts BPA according to a position of need. Example: If Jameis Winston fell to #8, we wouldn't take him, we just don't "need" a QB at this point.

So long way around the building but I agree that expectations should be tempered but there's no reason that we can't compete on some level this year. After all, with better time management, we would have most likely won 3 more games last year with what we had. Defense will improve some and the offense will be what it always has been. I think we should win the division by default if nothing else...

Your 1st and 2nd rounders are pretty much expected to start right away (with leniency towards 2nd rounders) but almost always these two rounds are must hits. Those players must make an impact (certainly not their max impact but do need to be productive).

There's no team in the NFL that drafts strictly BPA. Each team drafts BPA according to a position of need. Example: If Jameis Winston fell to #8, we wouldn't take him, we just don't "need" a QB at this point.

So long way around the building but I agree that expectations should be tempered but there's no reason that we can't compete on some level this year. After all, with better time management, we would have most likely won 3 more games last year with what we had. Defense will improve some and the offense will be what it always has been. I think we should win the division by default if nothing else...

This is the most correct reply IMO. Of course it's not strictly BPA, but it's also about not getting so focused positionally that you miss adding an impact player at a position. Need? Heck a need is anywhere that can be upgraded wishing fiscal and other cap-related implications.

Locking on to a position is silly and rarely happens unless it's a badly managed team. An example might be Alford. Is it a need to upgrade the cb spot on the other side of Trufant? Technically, no. Alford is a young, inexpensive recent 2nd round pick. But the question is can he be smartly upgraded, yet utilized.

So, let's say the Waynes is on the board and is our highest rated talent. While, the board will melt down it makes sense to draft Waynes rather than out 4th highest pass rusher who's also on the board. That's good value. Particularly if there is a guy in the second that we think isn't that much less talented than the aforementioned edge rusher.

So scenario plays out with this as our first two picks:

1) Waynes

2) Harold

Does the board melt down? Btw this allows us either to move Alford inside to the nickel--or possibly a change to FS where his ball skills and tenacity are valued

As far as waiting for 2016 on first and second round picks to "blossom." That's a dicey game. Mack, which was an example used was a starter day one and despite his sack number was a very good all around LB. I venture to say mist GMs and HCs want their envision their first and second rounders as day one starters if possible. Some exceptions might fe a heavily rotated position like DT

Guest King Jigsaw

Wow you just made me realize Dimi has only drafted four Pro Bowlers with his 55 picks in the last seven drafts. That's only a 7.3% hit rate.

SEA by comparison has drafted nine Pro Bowlers in their 62 picks over the same period. A 14.5% hit rate.

Turrible.

It's easy for teammates to make the pro bowl together when they experience success as a team. If the Seahawks own the best record over the year, it's very likely that the voting will be swayed towards Lynch, Wilson, Sherman, Kam, Earl, etc. because the pro bowl is a popularity contest.

It's easy for teammates to make the pro bowl together when they experience success as a team. If the Seahawks own the best record over the year, it's very likely that the voting will be swayed towards Lynch, Wilson, Sherman, Kam, Earl, etc. because the pro bowl is a popularity contest.

So what you're saying is....

Gurlie to Atlantie

We had a pretty good record in five of those seven seasons. What happened?

• Matt Ryan, Julio Jones. (Desmond Trufant, Jake Matthews, Matt Bosher, fit too)

So in other words (YOU WANT GURLEY)?

We have been putting down on drafting a 1st round pass rusher for years!!

Oh maybe a 3rd round guy turns Into a great player oh what about this 5th round pick guy Mann just get the top pass rusher and get the flashy offensive guy next yet pleaseeeee!! We need to stop procrastinating and just take care of our pass rush once in for all

Aaron donald was a stud, though...

... and most of us knew it. I get what OP is saying, if we focused on getting more playmakers in the draft you can't lose. I think a lot of Gms (and TATF) get caught up in complete drafts and severity of individual needs. Now, nobody can prevent injuries or how a player turns out, but if a team decided to go BPA throughout the entire draft and end up with a draft full of pro bowlers instead of drafting for need, no one could call that draft a failure.

Excuse the rambling. It's spring break, I'm on vacation, and I'm HIGH!!!

Wow you just made me realize Dimi has only drafted four Pro Bowlers with his 55 picks in the last seven drafts. That's only a 7.3% hit rate.SEA by comparison has drafted nine Pro Bowlers in their 62 picks over the same period. A 14.5% hit rate.Turrible.

Right so how did TD the spiked hair freak keep his job