Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Shotfather

White Cop Shoots Unarmed Black Guy In Back 8 Times, Plants Taser On Him. Just Another Day In America.

We shouldnt run from them when they say stop, either. We shouldn't assault them. We shouldn't verbally lose our **** on them. The suggestions otherwise in this thread are pathetic.

They shouldn't shoot us if we do those things(Wel minus assault them that is)is the general feeling I get from this thread personally.This is a board populated by mainly civilians so you're generally going to get one side of the argument.

I realize I might as well be asking for the moon here, but I'd kind of hope the standard police are held to would reflect their duty to a civilized society rather than the equipment they've been given and the leeway they're granted by fellow officers and prosecutors. I bet the "good cops" that get talked about in these threads, the ones that wouldn't get caught on camera shooting someone eight times in the back because they wouldn't actually do that in that situation, feel about the same way, especially if they're concerned about the present culture of hostility resulting in a more dangerous climate for police, too.

you wouldnt have to raise taxes. Government is just like any other industry. The people on top make bank and everyone else gets screwed. Quit paying the big dogs so much and they could affors to pay cops a decent salary

you know the big dogs got to eat. That's why you will have to raise taxes. That's life

You guys have really twisted this situation. He was shot because he grabbed the cop's taser. That's why he was shot. He wasn't shot because he ran.

Now that doesn't make Scott's shooting ok. It's pretty clear that there was nolonger an imminent threat to the cop. Had he shot Scott while they scuffled, we wouldnt be here talking about it.

Some of you are just looking for a reason to skew this situation worse than it already is. It's sad, really.

no he was shot cause he ran. The officer goes and drops the taser by him after he is cuffed. That's called planting evidence. The officer doesn't get the benefit of the doubt

No it was pretty clear what you said. You tried to speak ambiguously so as to not hammer yourself to something, particularly for when you got called for your #######. Only problem is your transparency.

link?

We shouldnt run from them when they say stop, either. We shouldn't assault them. We shouldn't verbally lose our **** on them. The suggestions otherwise in this thread are pathetic.

Not to pull a T, but I never said we should do any of those things.

like i said no comparison at all.

lulz. I guess running from the cops is a good idea, then. I mean, it isn't illegal or anything.

Two people ****** up this whole situation. One of them is dead, the other is going to jail for life. Both made terrible terrible mistakes. Walter Scott didn't deserve to die, but he isn't innocent either.

Yeah, the real world doesn't work like that. When cops pull their guns, they are trained to aim at center mass and keep firing until the target goes down and is no longer a threat.

Not to mention shooting someone in the leg is classified as lethal force, and running away doesn't authorize use of lethal force.

Man who shot S.C. cell phone video speaks out

Melanie Eversley, USA TODAY 6:56 a.m. EDT April 9, 2015

The man who shot cell phone video of a black South Carolina man being shot in the back by a police officer is speaking out, saying he shared the video with the victim's family after seeing that a police report did not mesh with what he saw.

Feidin Santana spoke to NBC's Lester Holt about the incident that has grabbed attention nationwide and become what some say is the most recent example of alleged police brutality against black men. Former North Charleston, S.C., police officer Michael Slager said he feared for his life after Walter Scott, 50, grabbed his stun gun after a traffic stop, but Santana's Samsung cell phone video shows Scott running away as Slager shoots him eight times.

Slager, 33, was charged with murder Tuesday.

He was allowed to stay on the force despite an earlier complaint he used excessive force against an unarmed man, the Associated Press reported.

Mario Givens told the AP on Wednesday that he was awakened before dawn one morning in 2013 by a loud banging on the front door of his family's home in North Charleston and Slager was on the porch, responding to a reported burglary in the neighborhood.

Givens, 33, told the news agency that he cracked open the door and Slager pushed in, shooting him in the belly with a stun gun. He said he filed a formal complaint against Slager backed by at least two other witnesses, but police took no action.

Santana said in the television interview that he was walking to work when he noticed a scuffle taking place between the officer and Scott.

"I was on a phone call and I decide to walk over there and see what was going on," Santana said. "They were down on the floor before I started recording."

He continued, "I remember police had control of the situation, he (Slager) had control of Scott and Scott was trying to get away from the Taser."

"I believe he (Scott) was trying to get away from the Taser," Santana said.

He explained he then saw Scott get shot and go down.

"As you can see in the video, the police officer just shot him in the back and I knew right away I had something in my hands," Santana said.

The young man initially feared retribution if he shared the video, but he later learned about what the official police report contained and that helped change his mind, a lawyer representing the family told the Los Angeles Times. The report "wasn't like I saw it," Santana said. "I got mad."

Santana then approached the brother of the victim. "If I had a family member, I would want to know the truth," Santana said.

Neither Santana nor L. Christopher Stewart, an Atlanta-based lawyer for the Scott family, responded to multiple requests for comment Wednesday night.

North Charleston Police Chief Eddie Driggers said during a press conference Wednesday that he watched the video and he was "sickened by what I saw."

Others in the same situation as Santana, who have captured video of alleged police brutality, claim they suffered retribution afterward.

Ramsey Orta, who shot video last August of Staten Island, N.Y., father Eric Garner going down in what appears to be an illegal police chokehold, was arrested on weapons charges shortly after the fatal incident. Police said Orta had a stolen handgun in his possession, but Orta said the arrest was payback for making the Garner incident public.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/04/08/walter-scott-feidin-santana-cell-phone-video/25497593/?hootPostID=98f933eb0ec57897262cf7f9575c8383

It's becoming increasingly evident that we live in a borderline police state, where police rarely face any kind of consequences for illegal behavior, and often retaliate against people who attempt to bring their actions to light. Factor in that our prison system is as dysfunctional as it is, I find it pretty surprising that anyone would look at all of those factors and say 'You should just do what they say, no matter what'.

Sure, it's usually dumb to run from the cops. You know what measures are in place to prevent people form doing that? Courts, jails, and due process. It's appalling to me to see people here suggesting that being killed is now the acceptable norm for committing a crime, and that police officers can act as judge, jury, and executioner for something as simple as a routine traffic stop.

It's becoming increasingly evident that we live in a borderline police state, where police rarely face any kind of consequences for illegal behavior, and often retaliate against people who attempt to bring their actions to light. Factor in that our prison system is as dysfunctional as it is, I find it pretty surprising that anyone would look at all of those factors and say 'You should just do what they say, no matter what'.

Sure, it's usually dumb to run from the cops. You know what measures are in place to prevent people form doing that? Courts, jails, and due process. It's appalling to me to see people here suggesting that being killed is now the acceptable norm for committing a crime, and that police officers can act as judge, jury, and executioner for something as simple as a routine traffic stop.

I think the last part is what is getting misconstrued. I haven't seen anyone say that being killed is an acceptable norm. Acknowledging that it's happening under certain circumstances and still not be the correct course of action is not the same as deeming something an acceptable norm....

I agree with all of this, and would just add that the officer's legal defense is going to be interesting. I wonder if he will argue that he was following standard procedure and training practices in this incident. There needs to be a systemic evaluation of police training and internal procedures. What came out of Ferguson suggests, as you state, that something is broken with the system as a whole.

A friend of mine was talking to a relative (who is a deputy sheriff) about this, and apparently they did away with the levels of force concept. The reason he stated was because officers were getting chewed up in court over it. Apparently now there is something akin to options available, with lethal force no longer viewed as the last resort but one of many options available to an officer depending on the circumstances. IOW, their new training allows them to jump straight to lethal force for certain situations, which is why we see so many officers in these kinds of incidents claim someone was grabbing for their gun. I suspect it is part of the training, not just individual officers making stupid decisions.

I think the last part is what is getting misconstrued. I haven't seen anyone say that being killed is an acceptable norm. Acknowledging that it's happening under certain circumstances and still not be the correct course of action is not the same as deeming something an acceptable norm....

T said anyone who runs from a cop is asking to be shot. Death is a fairly natural occurrence following being shot. T later said the cop should have shot Scott in the leg, which could have led to all sorts of complications.

So, at least one person is implying it's an acceptable norm.

T said anyone who runs from a cop is asking to be shot. Death is a fairly natural occurrence following being shot. T later said the cop should have shot Scott in the leg, which could have led to all sorts of complications.

So, at least one person is implying it's an acceptable norm.

Yeah I don't agree with shooting them in the leg (unless they are armed). I think "asking for it" isn't the same as condoning the action though. I mean had the guy paid his child support he wouldn't have outstanding warrants thus no initial confrontation other than a taillight ticket or warning. Does that statement mean I'm condoning his shooting? Absolutely not. Running will cause an officer to act (either correctly or incorrectly). So he was asking for some sort of escalation, that is a correct statement. That doesn't automatically mean he was asking to be shot, it just increased the probability of that occurring. Doesn't make the cop's action anymore right because it was obviously the wrong action. To me phrases like "asking for it" or generalizations about neighborhoods, etc. shouldn't be taken as literally as they are in this forum, just my opinion having been on the other side of the fence...

Yeah I don't agree with shooting them in the leg (unless they are armed). I think "asking for it" isn't the same as condoning the action though. I mean had the guy paid his child support he wouldn't have outstanding warrants thus no initial confrontation other than a taillight ticket or warning.

Gonna have to stop you right there...anytime a police officer stops you for anything, death is a possibility.

Not to pull a T, but I never said we should do any of those things.

It really gets on your nerves when someone accuses you if something you didn't say it intend to say doesnt it? Now imagine that with over half your post in some weird attempt to drive you away

We also live in a nation where criminals can afford lawyers that are capable of bending the law. Where civilians feel bad for the murder trying to kill a cop rather than the cop. We have criminals with access to handguns, assault rifles, grenades,rpgs, incredibly fast vehichles, control of parts of cities, and will cry victim over the least infraction to the media where our police are all turned into villians. Then on top of that we have the media who conveniently only shows the bad cops on tv. So yeah you are going to have militarized police because the criminals are militarized.

We also live in a nation where criminals can afford lawyers that are capable of bending the law. Where civilians feel bad for the murder trying to kill a cop rather than the cop. We have criminals with access to handguns, assault rifles, grenades,rpgs, incredibly fast vehichles, control of parts of cities, and will cry victim over the least infraction to the media where our police are all turned into villians. Then on top of that we have the media who conveniently only shows the bad cops on tv. So yeah you are going to have militarized police because the criminals are militarized.

A fraction of the population that are accused of crimes can afford good attorneys. The majority are stuck with overworked, underpaid public defenders.

Gonna have to stop you right there...anytime a police officer stops you for anything, death is a possibility.

Being white, I don't have the same perspective as you do so I can't agree nor disagree with that one but I certainly do think there's a problem with law enforcement overall...

A fraction of the population that are accused of crimes can afford good attorneys. The majority are stuck with overworked, underpaid public defenders.

You know which one that is when you are wrestling with him on the ground too? What about when he shoots at you? What about when he runs? Is he running you into a setup? Or do you have to prepare and respond as though every criminal though they might be the one to end your life and cry victim to the media. It's a two sided coin. Either stop criminals and you have less police enforcement and aggression needed or give the police the authority to stop them but don't be overly surprised when one snaps after being hit, shot at, stabbed, chasing criminals who run, watch partners get killed, or injured.

You know which one that is when you are wrestling with him on the ground too? What about when he shoots at you? What about when he runs? Is he running you into a setup? Or do you have to prepare and respond as though every criminal though they might be the one to end your life and cry victim to the media. It's a two sided coin. Either stop criminals and you have less police enforcement and aggression needed or give the police the authority to stop them but don't be overly surprised when one snaps after being hit, shot at, stabbed, chasing criminals who run, watch partners get killed, or injured.

That was in no way, shape, or form, a response to anything in my post you quoted. But ok.

lulz. I guess running from the cops is a good idea, then. I mean, it isn't illegal or anything.

Two people ****** up this whole situation. One of them is dead, the other is going to jail for life. Both made terrible terrible mistakes. Walter Scott didn't deserve to die, but he isn't innocent either.

so running is a reason to be shot?