Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Shotfather

White Cop Shoots Unarmed Black Guy In Back 8 Times, Plants Taser On Him. Just Another Day In America.

593 posts in this topic

In comparison to...

Officer shows 'great restraint' not shooting charging suspect, chief says

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/19/us/ohio-new-richmond-officer-does-not-shoot-suspect/

While that ended well, it could have easily gone a different way, especially with him losing his balance so not sure if it was the best decision but glad it worked out. The main thing I took away from the article is how effective body cameras can be. I don't think any of us have disagreed with the idea of every officer wearing a body camera. I didn't realize it picked up audio too. Shame that this officer's family had to purchase it instead of the police department...

But you can clearly see why! If the man was a black male charging that cop, I can guarantee the policeman would have emptied the clip on him!

Exactly!

And make no mistake, while it's great that another life was not lost here this guy DESERVED to be shot. Just amazes me how much restraint cops can show here but have itchy trigger fingers in others.

But you can clearly see why! If the man was a black male charging that cop, I can guarantee the policeman would have emptied the clip on him!

Eh, I can't get on board with that one. Thinking all cops would shoot just because they're cops facing a black suspect is no different than thinking all black people wearing saggy pants are gang bangers to me and all the other stereotypes...

Jimsmusic™ likes this

Eh, I can't get on board with that one. Thinking all cops would shoot just because they're cops facing a black suspect is no different than thinking all black people wearing saggy pants are gang bangers to me and all the other stereotypes...

Let me be clear, my father (R.I.P) was a cop for a few years, so whatever "itch" he might have had in his trigger finger was sufficiently scratched in Korea, and long and before he became a policeman, so I don't think all cops are/were bad! Don't fool yourself, cops show a whole heII of a lot more restraint when dealing with white people than they will ever show a black person! Mike Brown didn't get that treatment!

Let me be clear, my father (R.I.P) was a cop for a few years, so whatever "itch" he might have had in his trigger finger was sufficiently scratched in Korea, and long and before he became a policeman, so I don't think all cops are/were bad! Don't fool yourself, cops show a whole heII of a lot more restraint when dealing with white people than they will ever show a black person! Mike Brown didn't get that treatment!

Oh I don't doubt or argue that cops overall tend to give more leniency to whites, I know better than that...

For the most part I agree Andrews, but if a white goes for the officers gun?

I have family that are cops. It is like the military. 10 percent are the best. 80 percent are the population from great to below average. 10 percent should have never joined. A lot of your major city cops are trained in the academy and never receive any refresher training. It is not an excuse, it is a fact. A lot of cops just want to beat people up and not police. Some are in the good ol boy network and think they can do anything. It is amazing hearing the inside stories from the cops themselves.

Makaveli96 likes this

Officer shoots and kills unarmed civilian who didn't hear his initial commands because he had headphones on. No charges, no punishment, no change.

WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK. GRAPHIC VIDEO IN LINK BELOW. DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU'RE OKAY WITH SEEING POLICE MURDER A CIVILIAN.

LINK

Officer shoots and kills unarmed civilian who didn't hear his initial commands because he had headphones on. No charges, no punishment, no change.

WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK. GRAPHIC VIDEO IN LINK BELOW. DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU'RE OKAY WITH SEEING POLICE MURDER A CIVILIAN.

LINK

If the guy didn't hear the officer what prompted him to turn around? Why didn't he stop walking and try to figure out why the cop had a gun drawn on him? Guy turns around with his hands in his pockets, officer is in a bad spot there. It would be nice to be able to know the guy was unarmed but that's not possible. That's my first thoughts from the video. I'd have to know the context of the incident which the op page doesn't give...

If the guy didn't hear the officer what prompted him to turn around? Why didn't he stop walking and try to figure out why the cop had a gun drawn on him? Guy turns around with his hands in his pockets, officer is in a bad spot there. It would be nice to be able to know the guy was unarmed but that's not possible. That's my first thoughts from the video. I'd have to know the context of the incident which the op page doesn't give...

laugh.png

He had his hands in his waist band and partially lifted his shirt. Bottom line though, is that the guy turned around to the guy pointing a gun at him and screaming. We've trained our police force to have itchy trigger fingers and a shock and awe approach to dealing with suspects. There's a reason why our police force had more documented kills in a month or two than some countries have had over several decades.

was the officer justified in his actions?

He had his hands in his waist band and partially lifted his shirt. Bottom line though, is that the guy turned around to the guy pointing a gun at him and screaming. We've trained our police force to have itchy trigger fingers and a shock and awe approach to dealing with suspects. There's a reason why our police force had more documented kills in a month or two than some countries have had over several decades.

I don't disagree that there's a problem, I'm just not certain that this one incident is one of them...

was the officer justified in his actions?

As the last sentence of my post said "I'd have to know the context" before answering that question...

Sadly, the police apologists are all focusing on the fact that you said clip instead of magazine

I think a big part of the problem is the push to hire large amounts of cops by politicians. You don't hire a hundred thousand people and maintain a high standard. However, you do succeed at adding nice chunk of voters who owe their jobs to you.