Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Shotfather

White Cop Shoots Unarmed Black Guy In Back 8 Times, Plants Taser On Him. Just Another Day In America.

593 posts in this topic

Stereotyping black people on their porch as worthless lazy typical black people while you drive by and in movie theaters you get enraged when one dares to text and label his response as "typical black attitude" while ALSO condoning the practice of racially segregating businesses while saying, "let the market handle it" is the equivalent of promoting personal responsibility? LOL okkk.

Except I see white people on the porch all day doing nothing the same exact way. I'd also get angry (didn't say "enraged" but I know you have a flair for being melodramatic when paraphrasing) if a white person was texting all throughout a movie too but I notice you never choose to mention that because it doesn't paint the picture you want. As for the businesses remark, I actually said in an ideal world the market would handle it but obviously this isn't an ideal world. Not sure what your beef is with me but you really should let it go, not healthy to cling to stuff like you are. All you are doing is making yourself look like a spoiled brat who wants to be a cyber bully. Sorry, but you picked the wrong target...

I know it's tough for certain guys here, but I promise I will find a way to not blurt out anything prejudiced or otherwise depraved towards my fellow man. I have been made aware that that's really, really hard for whatever reason, but I won't let you guys down!

Remember simple is better. Don't make me read it 5 times to figure out what in the world you are talking about! (I'm a math guy not a wordsmith)...tongue.png

Except I see white people on the porch all day doing nothing the same exact way. I'd also get angry (didn't say "enraged" but I know you have a flair for being melodramatic when paraphrasing) if a white person was texting all throughout a movie too but I notice you never choose to mention that because it doesn't paint the picture you want. As for the businesses remark, I actually said in an ideal world the market would handle it but obviously this isn't an ideal world. Not sure what your beef is with me but you really should let it go, not healthy to cling to stuff like you are. All you are doing is making yourself look like a spoiled brat who wants to be a cyber bully. Sorry, but you picked the wrong target...

1: Your remarks were in direct relation to them being BLACK and how "typical it was for them." It's your stereotype of them that you stand by. Whether or not you get angry at white people for the same thing isn't the point. You're stereotyping and passing judgment on people you don't even know simply because of the color of their skin. There's an easy word defining that behavior.

2: It's funny that you don't know what my beef is with you. I am telling you. I have been. I just detailed it in #1. Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe it's that way of thinking that may annoy people? Doing so in a sweetheart way may win sympathy from some but not all.

3: Sweeping your ignorance under the rug in a passive way like a lot of the country is doing today while claiming that racism is overrated just so ya can wear a "nice guy" label doesn't cloud EVERYONE's memory.

Bunchy Carter likes this

As promised, I came back to this thread. Had to get caught up, but after reading through the posts after I left (and before), I can honestly say Serge did a much better job of articulating my position/thoughts on the issue than I could have. I have nothing more to add!

1: Your remarks were in direct relation to them being BLACK and how "typical it was for them." It's your stereotype of them that you stand by. Whether or not you get angry at white people for the same thing isn't the point. You're stereotyping and passing judgment on people you don't even know simply because of the color of their skin. There's an easy word defining that behavior.

2: It's funny that you don't know what my beef is with you. I am telling you. I have been. I just detailed it in #1. Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe it's that way of thinking that may annoy people? Doing so in a sweetheart way may win sympathy from some but not all.

3: Sweeping your ignorance under the rug in a passive way like a lot of the country is doing today while claiming that racism is overrated just so ya can wear a "nice guy" label doesn't cloud EVERYONE's memory.

Again, if I feel the same way about whites and blacks behaving in the exact same manner then I'm obviously not basing my opinion on color of skin. Just because a conversation is framed around one race as that one was doesn't mean what you are attempting to make it mean. Go back and see if you ever bothered to ask me if I felt the same about white people engaged in the same activity. I'll help you with that, you didn't. Now you try to say "Well, it doesn't matter if you feel the same way about whites doing the same thing, it's still based on race". To that I say, impossible. I can't have the same exact response and feelings regardless of who takes part in the behavior and it somehow be based on race. If that were true, I'd view the two races actions differently--except I don't. So your first statement doesn't pass muster at all. Instead, you decided to go on your personal crusade against someone you've never in your life met in person and have now pursued it for over a year (which is kind of scary IMO).

As for #2, I've told you twice now that I feel the same way about white people engaged in the exact same behavior but you didn't bother to ask that question. So this beef that you have isn't based on fact but instead what you want the facts to be. If you choose not to accept those facts, that's on you not on me.

As for #3, I believe your rejection of the fact that I view whites engaged in the exact behavior the exact same way doesn't mean it isn't true and therefore isn't based on race at all. Now if you want to classify me as ignorant of the plight of the poor and that I'm somehow an elitist, at least then you would be arguing based on facts that have actually been stated. Problem with that is I grew up broke in a single parent home and got out of it so hard to claim that which is why I guess you choose to ignore the statements made in #1 and #2 in the first place.

What I've come to determine is that the reason I got out of the low income status is because I had a mother who cared enough to instill a great work ethic and to never give up. Maybe these people we talk about sitting on the porch drinking the day away (and again, regardless of color because my feelings are the same either way) didn't have that type of upbringing.

Maybe the good that has come of your personal crusade with me is the revelation of what I just typed: I think we all may be having the wrong discussion...

As promised, I came back to this thread. Had to get caught up, but after reading through the posts after I left (and before), I can honestly say Serge did a much better job of articulating my position/thoughts on the issue than I could have. I have nothing more to add!

I wish you did, I'd understand it better! wink.png

It's not about what you get angry about. It's the manner that you pass excessive judgment on a specific race as "typical blacks." You didn't say typical jerkoffs or typical bums. You made it a point to state TYPICAL BLACKS and THAT is not just some innocent little comment. You keep whining about why we keep rehashing this and it's because you refuse to address your own prejudices and pass yourself off as an innocent guy that's misunderstood. While you may not be as blatant as some here, that doesn't diminish that playing it close to the vest is no less destructive than those that do it arrogantly. Take one look outside at those you're shoving your stereotypes on. It isn't blatant prejudice that has shifted the black community into segregated parts of town with no jobs and opportunities. It is the PASSIVE prejudice that is being overlooked that has resulted in these societal problems.

NEITHER should be downplayed or overlooked. You fight ignorance with confrontation, NOT tolerance. When it comes to the hippies of the left, where they pillow fight over the topics, and the fascists on the right, that deny a problem even exists; As soon as they finally realize that it is changing nothing, or they wither away, maybe we can address these issues like men with a backbone instead of wimps that need a smiley sticker and a hand hold while we evolve out of ignorance as a society.

I think I've shown that playing the "Cappy is a Falcon fan and an ok guy so I'll be tolerant of his prejudice remarks" has not made an inch of progress since you just cannot understand why someone may have a problem with it. "it's just that angry guy with a beef." No, it's your actions. It's your blatant refusal to acknowledge that what you said is as wrong as anyone else that we talk about in these types of topics. Beating around that bush for decades and centuries by sweeping it under the rug with a smiley face is changing nothing. Just look around you.

At least I have struck a nerve that may one day make you look in the mirror, as most people should, and as I have done, to hopefully stop the cycle of ignorance that happens on BOTH sides. We, as a society, need to stop being divided over petty issues like those you get hung up enough to rant about on ABF. While we're all fighting over dumb **** like that, the real perpetrators of these societal problems only chuckle at how well they can divide and conquer. Putting it on a bumper sticker or being sweethearts about it has not and will not do a thing. Confrontation. One person at a time.

Bunchy Carter and biloxifalcon like this

It's not about what you get angry about. It's the manner that you pass excessive judgment on a specific race as "typical blacks." You didn't say typical jerkoffs or typical bums. You made it a point to state TYPICAL BLACKS and THAT is not just some innocent little comment. You keep whining about why we keep rehashing this and it's because you refuse to address your own prejudices and pass yourself off as an innocent guy that's misunderstood. While you may not be as blatant as some here, that doesn't diminish that playing it close to the vest is no less destructive than those that do it arrogantly. Take one look outside at those you're shoving your stereotypes on. It isn't blatant prejudice that has shifted the black community into segregated parts of town with no jobs and opportunities. It is the PASSIVE prejudice that is being overlooked that has resulted in these societal problems.

NEITHER should be downplayed or overlooked. You fight ignorance with confrontation, NOT tolerance. When it comes to the hippies of the left, where they pillow fight over the topics, and the fascists on the right, that deny a problem even exists; As soon as they finally realize that it is changing nothing, or they wither away, maybe we can address these issues like men with a backbone instead of wimps that need a smiley sticker and a hand hold while we evolve out of ignorance as a society.

I think I've shown that playing the "Cappy is a Falcon fan and an ok guy so I'll be tolerant of his prejudice remarks" has not made an inch of progress since you just cannot understand why someone may have a problem with it. "it's just that angry guy with a beef." No, it's your actions. It's your blatant refusal to acknowledge that what you said is as wrong as anyone else that we talk about in these types of topics. Beating around that bush for decades and centuries by sweeping it under the rug with a smiley face is changing nothing. Just look around you.

At least I have struck a nerve that may one day make you look in the mirror, as most people should, and as I have done, to hopefully stop the cycle of ignorance that happens on BOTH sides. We, as a society, need to stop being divided over petty issues like those you get hung up enough to rant about on ABF. While we're all fighting over dumb **** like that, the real perpetrators of these societal problems only chuckle at how well they can divide and conquer. Putting it on a bumper sticker or being sweethearts about it has not and will not do a thing. Confrontation. One person at a time.

The only "we" rehashing it is YOU. I fully admit I'm not the most eloquent guy. I'm certainly not as well read as most of you and definitely do not have as deep of a vocabulary as Serge or JDaveG. Sometimes I think that may be a large part of the problem but I do my best. My deal is numbers and I'm good at numbers. That conversation that you keep referring to was only about blacks so why would I reference how I felt about another group? I generally respond to what's asked of me and attempt to keep it brief. If I'm guilty of anything it's not explaining exactly what I mean in the best phrasing or depth. I can accept that. At the end of the first paragraph it's clear you've not spent much time in Macon apparently. In my particular neighborhood, the neighbor to my left (who I'd do anything for and we help each other all the time) is a white female and black male married with 3 kids. The neighbor across the street from me is a single black mother with a son who I talk to all the time (he's a bright young man who's an excellent basketball player). The neighbor to their left are also black. Was a single mother with two kids and now has married but has been there for quite a while. The neighbor two houses over from me to my right is a single black mother with two children. Explain to me how all of these neighbors I have that are black are somehow segregated into parts of town with no jobs. They all work, they all live in the same middle class subdivision I do and we all get along great. When I experience that (and keep in mind I grew up in minority majority neighborhoods as a child for the most part), why would I think color plays a part in how people end up? I've seen more than just 1 or 2 anecdotal cases succeed at the same level I have and greater. It's hard for me to understand how such blatant racism and prejudice have affected some while not affecting others. Then again, I also grew up in a time where segregation was over and certainly by the time I entered school in 1978 as a 1st grader, there were kids of all colors and backgrounds in the same classes I was in. Racism was simply not something I knew much about growing up.

You know, if everyone on this forum was as charged up as you are about it then I would give your statements some credence but the fact is you are the only one taking this approach. If you think something I say is wrong then instead of making a mockery of it or me and badgering me on and on and on about it, don't you think it would probably be more productive to simply talk civilly about it? I'm certainly not going to be receptive to hostility and you know that so perhaps you'd get more out of it with a change of tactic. I have had several offline discussions with people about some of the statements you referred to and they came away with a better understanding of what I was trying to get at (at least that was the feedback I received from them). I won't mention them by name as I don't want to put them on the spot but I can't understand why you refuse to take a non-confrontational approach to this. I'm more than willing to talk with you about it at whatever level you want, I just don't think everyone else really cares to read our exchanges at this point because they've read them plenty of times already and they never change because the approach is always the same. Definition of insanity applies here: Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. It gets old man.

Not sure what you feel I've ranted about but remember, you are doing this on a thread where no one else is doing so and in a thread where I am on the side of the black victim. I chime in with my opinion where I feel the urge to do so. I look at myself in the mirror all the time and work on things that I can. I'm all for constructive criticism but honestly, that's not what you come with. Your posts are filled with sarcastic insults, accusatory tones and an attempt to try to paint a very negative image of someone.

So yeah, this is as far as this needs to go. I'm sure you will respond but this is my last one on this subject as I'm tired of constantly going over and over and over this with you. If you want to talk about it then PM me. If not then ignore me or whatever you need to do but it's old and needs to end one way or the other. I'm certain other posters would much rather read about the thread topic than how much credence you put into my opinions and my rebuttals...

*Has no idea what any of this means and goes to talk about programming in tears*

laugh.png I can relate (except the programming part, I go to my cap spreadsheets and such in TATF instead)...

Agreeing with the idea that businesses should be allowed to racially discriminate under the guise of "woohoo, free market!" wasn't taken out of context but I don't need you to agree with me. I'm not getting into the ABF's game of "let's make a deal."

You don't need to respond. You don't need to defend it. Just don't act like prejudice doesn't exist. It's easy to remind you that it does. Even if it hits close to home. Don't immediately assume(as you always do) that a dead or assaulted victim may share more of the blame simply because he is of a race of which you apply your stereotypes.

Moving on..........

Bunchy Carter likes this

Don't immediately assume(as you always do) that a dead or assaulted victim may share more of the blame simply because he is of a race of which you apply your stereotypes.

Moving on..........

You mean like when I'm taking the side of Walter Scott and not of the cop yet Walter Scott is black and the cop is white---is that the "always" you are referring to? That's what I've done in this thread which is what makes your whole set of responses so bizarre to me and others have commented to the same effect, perhaps you should go back a page or two and see that for yourself...

..................It isn't blatant prejudice that has shifted the black community into segregated parts of town with no jobs and opportunities. It is the PASSIVE prejudice that is being overlooked that has resulted in these societal problems.

................ALL OF US SHOULD look in the mirror, as most people should, and as I have done, to hopefully stop the cycle of ignorance that happens on BOTH sides. We, as a society, need to stop being divided over petty issues like those SOME get hung up enough to rant about on ABF. While we're all fighting over dumb **** like that, the real perpetrators of these societal problems only chuckle at how well they can divide and conquer......................... One person at a time.

Cappy, taking out the personal stuff, this is what I'm trying to say (see above,quoting Memphisto and changing some). Just take everything in context (and I'm not bashing YOU either.

To be more than honest, Serge and Memphisto have summed up exactly how I feel (with the exception of the personal)! Mind you, I've never been poor and never lived in the hood either, but I can sure as all heII identify with the plight of all black males just trying to exist in the USA (again, mind you, I've never been called the N word (to my face), AND (from experience, the military (IMNSHO) is the closest thing to a true meritocracy that I have ever experienced)! Again, black males (and black people) just want to LIVE and not be the scapegoats for all that is wrong with America! Black people fought and died to be treated equally, and you will not find a race of people that bought into the American dream almost 100%, until the puppetmasters took over in the 80's and started to put the screws to us!!!

To be honest, dam near everything that is blamed on blacks (for example, crime and welfare), we are either statistically equal to whites (or within the margin of error), or whites outnumber blacks by far, but you wouldn't know it by watching TV, listening to talk radio or politics (again, IMNSHO), which plays a LARGE role in shaping the minds of a lot of people, both good and bad, and perpetuating (mostly negative) stereotypes of black people! But as was said earlier, this is all part of a plan, and it is clearly being implemented. People need to wake up and see what is going on!

My $.02

Bunchy Carter likes this

Cappy, taking out the personal stuff, this is what I'm trying to say (see above,quoting Memphisto and changing some). Just take everything in context (and I'm not bashing YOU either.

To be more than honest, Serge and Memphisto have summed up exactly how I feel (with the exception of the personal)! Mind you, I've never been poor and never lived in the hood either, but I can sure as all heII identify with the plight of all black males just trying to exist in the USA (again, mind you, I've never been called the N word (to my face), AND (from experience, the military (IMNSHO) is the closest thing to a true meritocracy that I have ever experienced)! Again, black males (and black people) just want to LIVE and not be the scapegoats for all that is wrong with America! Black people fought and died to be treated equally, and you will not find a race of people that bought into the American dream almost 100%, until the puppetmasters took over in the 80's and started to put the screws to us!!!

To be honest, dam near everything that is blamed on blacks (for example, crime and welfare), we are either statistically equal to whites (or within the margin of error), or whites outnumber blacks by far, but you wouldn't know it by watching TV, listening to talk radio or politics (again, IMNSHO), which plays a LARGE role in shaping the minds of a lot of people, both good and bad, and perpetuating (mostly negative) stereotypes of black people! But as was said earlier, this is all part of a plan, and it is clearly being implemented. People need to wake up and see what is going on!

My $.02

Andrew, I went and took a look because obviously we all hear from the media that black people commit more crimes.

According to the FBI database, white people account for 69.2% of all arrests. Also, what has to be factored is that the FBI lists Hispanics as white which means that it is overstated. By how much, it is impossible to say. Black people account for 28.4%

According to US Census in 2013, white people account for 72.41% of the population (with Hispanics) and black people 12.61%.

Those ratios are nowhere near equal or within acceptable statistical margin of error.

If I am looking at the wrong statistics, please let me know.

I would also like to add that I am not drawing any conclusion from this as we have no idea how much of the variance would come from racial profiling and targeting but I am sure it is a significant amount

Look at the only statistics blacks lead whites in (Murder, Robbery and Gambling) out of 28 categories. Only 3. Once you mention that, people try to leap towards the "per capita" argument in an attempt to portray blacks as more violent by nature. In doing so, they ignore the economic inequalities at such a drastic rate that produce those crimes. People like to separate social issues from economic issues to further pigeon hole the argument.

Then we sit here and debate the FBI tables as if we're too stupid to see the problems for ourselves.

Factor in all of the Fergusons across the US (especially south where the disproportional number of arrests are black for no **** good reason. Also, a LOT of people get caught up in the system where they are MADE criminals.

I'll give you an example: I was caught speeding in East Point Ga a few years back. I was wrong, but so was all of the people who were passing me by!. I just happened to be the one that was pulled over. There was no fine amount on the ticket. I was told I had to go to court. I tried to find out how much I would owe before I got there. No where could I get that info, not even by calling the court itself.

All they kept saying was that I had to appear. By now, I'm freaking a little because I have no idea how much money to bring. So, I go to court, the fine was HUGE! I didn't have 600 plus in cash on me. I asked if I could go to the ATM. Nope, take a check? Nope. Credit Card? Nope. They wanted cash and they wanted it right then.

So I was told to go to the probation officer to be assigned on probation until the fine was paid! PROBATION for a speeding ticket! I go talk to the probation officer, now I not only have the fine, I also have to pay for my probation!

I was given a year probation man, that **** ended up costing me over a 1000$. I wasn't prepared for that, but I paid it off way before the year was up. Also, because I was on probation, I couldn't break the law for any reason or I would get locked up. If I missed my **** probation meeting, a warrant would be sworn for my arrest! If I missed a payment, a warrant!

I was lucky I had a good job that enable me to get outta that crap fast. But the few times I went to that office, all I ever saw were black people in there. All for minor **** like tickets. I'd be willing to bet some of them eventually had warrant worn for missing payments, and were then an official criminal.

Look at the only statistics blacks lead whites in (Murder, Robbery and Gambling) out of 28 categories. Only 3. Once you mention that, people try to leap towards the "per capita" argument in an attempt to portray blacks as more violent by nature. In doing so, they ignore the economic inequalities at such a drastic rate that produce those crimes. People like to separate social issues from economic issues to further pigeon hole the argument.

Then we sit here and debate the FBI tables as if we're too stupid to see the problems for ourselves.

Here's where I think the problem is though, att least for me. I had all the criteria of being a statistic. Single parent household, lower level of middle class, less than desirable neighborhood, etc. Yet I didn't end up a statistic because of how my mother raised me and the values she instilled in me. I had no advantages getting my college education over anyone else. I had to pay for it myself and I did so and by "I", I don't mean any of my mother's income. I held down a full-time job and went to school. I had zero economic advantages (other than a parent that worked her butt off to pay the bills, feed and cloth me). This is why it's hard for me to accept "the economic issues" reasoning. What stops anyone from following that same path?

That poses the question I raised earlier, is it really an economic issue or is it a matter of poor child-rearing? Now, where I "get it" is on the drug aspect. I know exactly what Andrews is referencing in the 80's and I don't disagree with it a bit and know that part of it is 100% accurate. As I stated in the drug thread, the MJ prohibition act and ultimately the war on drugs was nothing but based on racial reasoning. That's exactly why I'm in favor of legalizing drugs (and treated no different than alcohol or tobacco), releasing all non-violent drug offenders, converting the empty prisons to temporary housing/learning centers that are funded by all the government dollars wasted on the drug war. To me, this is an attempt to help right the wrongs. It gives people a chance to learn skills to get a good job, it gives them a place to get back on their feet and if addicted to drugs to get help if they choose to do so.

To me that's a good start. On top of that we do need to make a LOT of improvement in law enforcement training to prevent a large majority of the controversial arrests. Add in black officers patrolling predominantly black neighborhoods until trust is regained and relationships on the mend. I think these are all steps that we can take as a society that would encourage the black communities to have hope if they lack it or inspire to change the attitudes of people they know. I do think summits of different people (not just politicians but average everyday people) getting in a forum and discussing these issues in a civilized manner so everyone understands where the other person is coming from without judgment would also be helpful to raise the level of understanding of each other.

Is it a fix all? Of course not, I never claimed to be smart enough to solve every problem in the country but I think these are all good steps to at least making progress...

my post was more of a semantic issue which is why I asked if there were better sources. additionally, I pointed out two major reasons why those statistics would be wrong.

The problem is not 1 thing but a whole host of things one of which is our plutocracy run media that wants to make sure you keep fighting about race instead of looking at why there is an ever growing gap in wealth distribution in america. It's a magic trick. Keep looking at race and keep looking at the political parties while I take your money and your rights.

Precisely.

Fight about race, politics and religion. There's a new outrage for the people to argue about every week.

The problem is not 1 thing but a whole host of things one of which is our plutocracy run media that wants to make sure you keep fighting about race instead of looking at why there is an ever growing gap in wealth distribution in america. It's a magic trick. Keep looking at race and keep looking at the political parties while I take your money and your rights.

and pay no attention to the military vehicles and weapons your local police force is amassing

and pay no attention to the military vehicles and weapons your local police force is amassing

But when people bring up cutting back defense spending............

Andrew, I went and took a look because obviously we all hear from the media that black people commit more crimes.

According to the FBI database, white people account for 69.2% of all arrests. Also, what has to be factored is that the FBI lists Hispanics as white which means that it is overstated. By how much, it is impossible to say. Black people account for 28.4%

According to US Census in 2013, white people account for 72.41% of the population (with Hispanics) and black people 12.61%.

Those ratios are nowhere near equal or within acceptable statistical margin of error.

If I am looking at the wrong statistics, please let me know.

I would also like to add that I am not drawing any conclusion from this as we have no idea how much of the variance would come from racial profiling and targeting but I am sure it is a significant amount

Sorry Dago, I can't take this seriously. Any site that conveinently forgets that Hispanics make up almost 16% of the population of the U.S., but can tell me EXACTLY how many blacks are in the U.S. is highly suspect (and I don't believe for a second the FBI forgot too) and proves my point.

Sorry Dago, I can't take this seriously. Any site that conveinently forgets that Hispanics make up almost 16% of the population of the U.S., but can tell me EXACTLY how many blacks are in the U.S. is highly suspect (and I don't believe for a second the FBI forgot too) and proves my point.

well exactly. I pointed out the fault in their methodology (or lack thereof) and asked if there was a better source available

supposedly they have given Hispanics their own category starting this year (which will be 2014 stats)

well exactly. I pointed out the fault in their methodology (or lack thereof) and asked if there was a better source available

supposedly they have given Hispanics their own category starting this year (which will be 2014 stats)

Then why post flawed data to prove your point? I missed something. Can't shift the burden of proof to me when you posted the info! Also, when I stated earlier the blacks and whites were statistically dam near the same, I was referring to the stat where 80 (something) percent of blacks die at the hands of other blacks, but for whites killing whites, it was in the mid-seventies (IIRC).

If I don't talk enough about the state of mainstream media and the ways that our country's leaders create conflicts for people to argue over, it's because the people want that enough to build their personalities around their pretensions of individuality and ability to comprehend our society's "real" problems.