So I Picked Up My Cpap Machine Yesterday...

Anyone else have sleep apnea? I did a sleep study and was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. This machine is pretty state of the art. Over $1500 but my insurance covers 80%, which is nice. I tried it out last night while I watched the champ game and only ended up wearing it for about 3 hours. They say it takes some getting used to.

Anyone have a cpap machine and want to share their experience?

My wife works in the sleep center at a local hospital. She swears that I need a CPAP, but I'm still in that "NOPE" phase. We'll be out in public and she'll randomly point people out and tell me they need a sleep study or probably have sleep apnea, etc. I want to print up some spoof business cards and when she points some one out, run up to them and hand them a card.

I've had a CPAP for two years. My case was more severe, falling asleep at the wheel, etc. at my sleep study she told me that I stopped breathing several times a minute. It freaked me out the first time they put that mask on me, like being under water, now it would be hard to try and sleep without it.

I was in the "nope" phase for a while too, until I read that sleep apnea killed Reggie White, if it was a serious enough condition to take him out, wth kind of chance would I have.

The biggest drawback, you know that moment when your wife gets into bed and you decide to make a move. Having to take the mask off, turn the machine off, and then move forward pretty well telegraphs what used to be a subtle come on, not to mention how much more awkward it is from your point of view, but better that than her finding me dead one morning.

I've had a CPAP for two years. My case was more severe, falling asleep at the wheel, etc. at my sleep study she told me that I stopped breathing several times a minute. It freaked me out the first time they put that mask on me, like being under water, now it would be hard to try and sleep without it.

I was in the "nope" phase for a while too, until I read that sleep apnea killed Reggie White, if it was a serious enough condition to take him out, wth kind of chance would I have.

The biggest drawback, you know that moment when your wife gets into bed and you decide to make a move. Having to take the mask off, turn the machine off, and then move forward pretty well telegraphs what used to be a subtle come on, not to mention how much more awkward it is from your point of view, but better that than her finding me dead one morning.

My sleep study revealed I was waking up 18 times an hour. How long did it take to get used to it?

My sleep study revealed I was waking up 18 times an hour. How long did it take to get used to it?

A week at most, more likely a couple of days. Feeling great and rested in the morning again will help you adjust pretty quickly. The only thing that still freaks me out is the possibility of losing power during the night. When the machine is on, my God, you can feel the difference in ease of breathe, but when the mask is on without the machine being on, it just constricts your breathing that much more. All in all, I believe you made a great move, that seriously might save your life and will almost without doubt improve the quality of it.

A week at most, more likely a couple of days. Feeling great and rested in the morning again will help you adjust pretty quickly. The only thing that still freaks me out is the possibility of losing power during the night. When the machine is on, my God, you can feel the difference in ease of breathe, but when the mask is on without the machine being on, it just constricts your breathing that much more. All in all, I believe you made a great move, that seriously might save your life and will almost without doubt improve the quality of it.

how much draw does that thing have?

plug it up to this 2000VA/1200W UPS. That's a good price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xfinity-Pro-Series-2000VA-1200W-Uninterruptible-Power-Supply-Line-Interactive-/231292147122?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35da1615b2

One last thing, spring for the distilled water, you can get a gallon for $1.00 at Publix, it's more of a hassle than tap water, but tap will gunk up the tank (I tried it), it's one of the few "recommended" extra expenses on most any product that they are not just trying to sell\cost you more money to use their product.

One last thing, spring for the distilled water, you can get a gallon for $1.00 at Publix, it's more of a hassle than tap water, but tap will gunk up the tank (I tried it), it's one of the few "recommended" extra expenses on most any product that they are not just trying to sell\cost you more money to use their product.

As soon as she brought up the water tank, that's the first thing she told me. I stopped at Wegmans on my way home and got distilled water.

BTW, this is the machine I got:

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/commercial-partner/products/devices/airsense-10-autoset.html

airsense10pillow.jpg

I have one. I don't utilize it every night, except when the wife says my snoring is keeping her up. I do notice a difference in how I feel the next morning.

Like the person mention before, get you a gallon of distilled water, its easier on the machine and it smells a helluva lot better.

I have one. I don't utilize it every night, except when the wife says my snoring is keeping her up. I do notice a difference in how I feel the next morning. Like the person mention before, get you a gallon of distilled water, its easier on the machine and it smells a helluva lot better.

So I guess my next question would be, is there a reason why you don't wear it every night if you notice a difference in how you feel in the morning? I mean, I get that it's (as far as I witnessed after one nights use) slightly uncomfortable and doesn't make for a smooth transition to "bow chicka bow wow" as silentbob suggested earlier in this thread, but you probably have a trade off feeling about it (which I may also have soon...).

I don't wear it every night due to not wanting to be encumbered by the mask I utilize. Plus, it's not a HUGE difference in the way I feel vs other days. Also, losing 28 pounds has helped me.

Congrats on the weight loss. funny you mention that because I was just discussing with my wife that the 3 times I visited the sleep study place, all I saw were overweight people (not that I am the gym rat I used to be - I am currently 6 ft 225 lbs). I also had a visit to a neurologist at Strong hospital (here in Western NY) as I have diaphragmatic paralysis and am trying to figure out the cause of it. Anyways, it was very eye opening to me when I saw at least 7 out of 10 patients there (throughout the hospital) were certainly overweight.

It's amazing what losing some weight can do for your health...

No way I could sleep with some weird contraption on my face, I'm way too claustrophobic or some kind of phobic for that...

They save people's lives though.

My dad wore one every night. Before he finally got it, my mom said he would be snoring and would choke for air, and she started being able to count to 20 or more before he would take his next breath. So he finally relented and got one.

I tried it. Couldn't adjust and didn't get a good night of rest trying to use it. I got the surgery. Very painful and has some drawbacks they don't tell you about, but it was worth it.

I get brain freeze much more easily than I used to. Ice cream or even really cold ice water can give me brain freeze. I will also get fluid up my nose more frequently, though it's mostly from drinking too fast. Again though, it's not that frequent and I adjusted to it. It's better than wearing a mask every night IMHO.

My sleep apnea was really bad though. I went up to a minute without breathing at times. And I stopped breathing many times per hour, don't remember the exact number. That being said, I can hold my breath for over 2 minutes. I realized after the fact it was because I practiced all night while sleeping...

Well, last night was night #3 and I have been averaging actually using it about 4 hours per night (the machine brings up a report every morning to basically tell me how my sleep went). I just am not used to it enough yet to leave it on all night. I like to sleep on my side and with a full face mask, it's hard to get comfortable. I can go back to the Sleep Study place and swap out my mask for a different one as many times as I want at no cost over the first 30 days. I am going to swap out to another full face mask to try it as well as just the nose one - the only draw back with that is to train yourself to only breath through your nose. Most of the time I breath through my mouth...

Well, last night was night #3 and I have been averaging actually using it about 4 hours per night (the machine brings up a report every morning to basically tell me how my sleep went). I just am not used to it enough yet to leave it on all night. I like to sleep on my side and with a full face mask, it's hard to get comfortable. I can go back to the Sleep Study place and swap out my mask for a different one as many times as I want at no cost over the first 30 days. I am going to swap out to another full face mask to try it as well as just the nose one - the only draw back with that is to train yourself to only breath through your nose. Most of the time I breath through my mouth...

...mouth breather