Ali Marpet Is The Best Offensive Lineman In This Draft Class

Kayoh

He's a better G prospect than Sherff & Collins, who are both better G prospects than they are T prospects. That makes Marpet the best OL prospect in this class.

Disagree? I'm not surprised - I'm not expecting this to be a popular opinion. Then again, if somebody would have posted last year that Joel Bitonio was the best offensive lineman in that class, people would have been just as miffed, but as it turns out, he's been the best of the class thus far. Difference is, last year's draft class had some amazing OT prospects at the top, while this is one of the weakest OT classes I've ever seen in my entire life. It's truly terrible.

That said, let me fill you in on how I arrived at this conclusion.

1. Marpet was a LT at Hobart. I haven't seen more than a few highlight videos of him at Hobart, but what I have seen is 100% impeccable. And it's not even highlights of him, it's just highlights of Hobart in general, I just know to watch the LT because that's Marpet. Check out 1:16 on this video where he puts a DT on skates like he's a child. D3 or not, that's a grown man out there and Marpet treated him like a little boy. From what I've heard and read regarding scouts takes on Marpet, his entire film portfolio at Hobart is impeccable; near flawless. He dominated at LT at Hobart the way you'd expect an NFL player to dominate in D3.

2. Marpet was hands down the best offensive lineman at the senior bowl. He was beaten ONE TIME in the OL/DL 1-on-1 drills, by Danny Shelton on a bull rush. Shelton tried the bull rush again on Marpet and he completely stonewalled him. This also shows that Marpet is a quick learner, but most importantly it shows that he isn't out of his element playing against NFL quality talent. If you actually watch him in the game at the senior bowl, not only did he have a solid day run blocking, but in 31 pass blocking snaps he didn't get beat once. Didn't surrender a single pressure of any kind. He was impeccable. But this was at the senior bowl - against the best the country has to offer.

3. Athletic profile. Look at Ali Marpet's agility drills, jumps and bench numbers from the combine. Every single one of them jumps off the screen as exceptional for a man his size. He had the 2nd best times in the short shuttle and 3 cone drills, behind Jake Fisher who's 10 pounds lighter than him. He put 225 up 30 times, good for 4th best behind Flowers, Morse and Glowinski, and far more than any of the other top guard prospects this year like Scherff and Collins. Marpet is the 2nd most athletic OL prospect in this class behind Fisher.

To me, if we came into the post-season draft process under the impression that Marpet was already the best guard in this class, the only thing he's done in that time is solidify that stance. Brandon Scherff and La'El Collins aren't far behind him, but I don't think it's fair to say that they're better prospects just because they played against better competition in college when you look at the Senior Bowl tape - the best competition any college player will face prior to getting drafted - and Marpet dominated.

Ali Marpet is likely going to be Joel Bitonio, which would make him a top 5 guard in the NFL as a rookie, but I think he has the athletic upside to be Evan Mathis with a proper training regimen, something he's very likely to receive in the NFL. I don't think he's a talent you can pass up in a day and age where the highest paid defensive player in the NFL is a 3 technique DT who makes his living off unathletic guards who can't block him. Obviously he's not a top 8 player to me, but teams in the 10-20 range would be idiotic to pass him up for guys like Scherff or Collins in my opinion. You know they will - I just think they'll be dumb for having done it. Same thing with Greg Robinson last year to the Rams...you knew they were going to do it, but it's still a really stupid move to make. That's how I feel about Marpet. He's a top 10 value and he might fall all the way to us at 42, and we've GOT to snatch him. I'd rather have Marpet and a 4th round ILB than Stephone Anthony and a 4th round LG.

Good write up Kayoh. I agree with most everything you say; been of this opinion for awhile already with one caveat. I still believe that Scherff has the makings of a beast G so I am not ready to annoint Marpet as "better than" but I do believe Marpet can be an extremely good G, and perhaps also a C.

I was hopeful that he might fall to our 3rd, or we might trade up to late 2nd and get him. My opinion is that this class is noticeably weak overall in the pick 15 to pick 50+ range. There are a few exceptions sprinkled in there based on current draftnik projections but there are very few players in that range that I really like... at all. Unfortunately, i think this draft is going to depart greatly from the projections of where & when some players go... Marpet is likely one of those and could go in the 2nd.

I love Marpet, I really do, but if Anthony is there I'd much rather we snatch him up and try to trade back into the second if we think Marpet's gone. Have we even been associated with him though? I dunno. Also, Scherff is a better tackle prospect imho, so as a complete lineman, I'd rank him above. Collins just gets hate because his film is boring...like, really boring. In a good way.

Back to Marpet, I just don't think he's likely to be taken that early by other teams. More likely at the bottom of the second/sometime at the top of the third. It's only recently people have been talking about him as even a top 75 pick. But I agree with him being so good, and he did so well even with below average technique. Really hope we look at him.

Also, the late first and the entire second round are going to be jam packed with talent, if there's a year to trade down (like Dimi has been hinting over and over we're willing to do) it's this one. Assuming Beasley and Gregory aren't there at 8 and we're not enamored with Ray or Dupree.

I'm sorry, but Brandon Scherff is the best guard prospect I have seen in years. Better than Zack Martin, Cooper and Warmack. It's not even close, actually. There's no discussion. Athletically, physically and technically Scherff is better and he played against better competition. I'm a massive Marpet fan, but hold your horses.

I'm sorry, but Brandon Scherff is the best guard prospect I have seen in years. Better than Zack Martin, Cooper and Warmack. It's not even close, actually. There's no discussion. Athletically, physically and technically Scherff is better and he played against better competition. I'm a massive Marpet fan, but hold your horses.

I'm sorry, but Brandon Scherff is the most overrated guard prospect I have seen since Chance Warmack.

Find a professional scout who thinks Scherff is the best G in the last 3 plus years and you'll have a point.

Find anyone other than yourself that think Marpet is the best OL man in the draft. Other than combine numbers and some senior bowl clips there is nothing to substantiate your claim. Scherff's 3 cone drill was better than Amari Cooper's and had a 40 time barely over 5 seconds yet you write him off like he's not the athletic freak Marpet is. His film is incredible from a run blocking standpoint, better than Greg Robinson's, and it was against DIV1 teams. His pass blocking vs the speed rush has been literally his only knock from scouts and that wont be a problem at guard. He has a nasty mean streak. He is tough as nails. How on earth is Marpet better??

Keep in mind, I am a huge Marpet fan.

Find anyone other than yourself that think Marpet is the best OL man in the draft. Other than combine numbers and some senior bowl clips there is nothing to substantiate your claim. Scherff's 3 cone drill was better than Amari Cooper's and had a 40 time barely over 5 seconds yet you write him off like he's not the athletic freak Marpet is. His film is incredible from a run blocking standpoint, better than Greg Robinson's, and it was against DIV1 teams. His pass blocking vs the speed rush has been literally his only knock from scouts and that wont be a problem at guard. He has a nasty mean streak. He is tough as nails. How on earth is Marpet better??

Keep in mind, I am a huge Marpet fan.

I've posted everything to back my opinion up in the OP. If I wanted to just regurgitate what every mainstream draftnik was saying I wouldn't bother wasting my time scouting these players myself. I've seen Scherff and he's good, but I can't find a single game of his where he's as technically sound and dominant as Marpet was at the Senior Bowl, including in the running game.

I've posted everything to back my opinion up in the OP. If I wanted to just regurgitate what every mainstream draftnik was saying I wouldn't bother wasting my time scouting these players myself. I've seen Scherff and he's good, but I can't find a single game of his where he's as technically sound and dominant as Marpet was at the Senior Bowl, including in the running game.

It's pretty naïve to judge a player almost hollistically from one game that is pretty much a college pro bowl. While I understand these guys are trying hard in order to impress teams, the senior bowl isn't 'proper' football. I've watched as many snaps the internet allows me on both players, and I'm having a really hard time figuring out how you can downplay Scherff's dominance in the run game so much. There's a reason he has like a 4 minute highlight video. How many OL men have highlight videos????

It's pretty naïve to judge a player almost hollistically from one game that is pretty much a college pro bowl. While I understand these guys are trying hard in order to impress teams, the senior bowl isn't 'proper' football. I've watched as many snaps the internet allows me on both players, and I'm having a really hard time figuring out how you can downplay Scherff's dominance in the run game so much. There's a reason he has like a 4 minute highlight video. How many OL men have highlight videos????

I've never seen Scherff dominate a player who's going to be in the NFL.

I've seen Ali Marpet dominate Grady Jarrett and Kaleb Eulls.