Arguing With A Panthers Fan

JiveAF

I'm on a gaming board in an argument with a Pantie fan and he's blabbing about our last game. Saying how their future is brighter than ours and our defense is horrible etc.

I've thrown some heat talking about how their biggest FA move was getting a guy known more from a movie than actually playing football. Mentioned how our coaching was a huge problem and shouldn't be anymore .. Said how their secondary is Awful.

He said something bout two rookies being 5-1 in their secondary their last 6 or so games and didn't have a TD pass thrown on them and thinks they're stars now etc. I've said more stuff too tho.

What are some points you'd point out. Do you believe our future is brighter than the Panthers?

They shook up their roster mid season and ended up with a very good secondary To go along with their very good lbers and very good line.

Their oline also came together towards the end along with their run game. Their biggest issues were special teams and Cam not being very good.

You might just want to ease up on that argument because their team is about as solid as it gets.

As a Panther fan, I would not trade Cam for Ryan, he is still developing and is only going to get better, but opinions are opinions.

I was impressed that y'all didn't try to go out and buy a defense in free agency as Tampa tried and failed to do. Obviously building through the draft is a slow process, but sets a team up for success in the long run, so kudos to Dimitroff for that. Our last two drafts under Dave Gettleman have been outstanding, with only a couple guys not panning out. Ron Rivera slowly improved year to year to a point where his job is now secure, where you have no idea how Quinn will react as the man in charge.

As far as the Oline, we found a couple gems last year, Trai Turner in the 3rd and Andrew Norwell as an UDFA. Once these guys, and Mike Remmers at RT, were inserted in the line up our offense started clicking. We are still screwed at LT, but I'm very interested what Dave Gettleman will do in the draft to adress it as I think Oher and Martin were intended as depth and competition. Still concerned about the #2 WR position but I also believe that will be addressed in the draft after kicking the tires on Greg Jennings in FA.

Our defense is one good SS and another corner away from being solid top to bottom, not a big Roman Harper fan. Kony Ealy really was coming on toward the close of the season opposite CJ, and I feel that TD and Luke are the best tandem in the league. Not to mention KK Short and Star L who allow the LBs to run.

So my take in essence is other than Julio, y'all have a lot of room for improvement. However the Bucs are the Bucs, and the Saints are breathing their last gasp with Brees, I see a great rivalry between the Panthers and the Falcons for the near future. Enjoy reading this board, Pewter Report always seems to be on suicide watch, and Saints Report posters are convinced that they will be better next year despite losing two of their best recieving options.

Hope y'all had a blessed Easter, and here's to the Saints going back to the cellar where they belong.

As a Panther fan, I would not trade Cam for Ryan, he is still developing and is only going to get better, but opinions are opinions.

I was impressed that y'all didn't try to go out and buy a defense in free agency as Tampa tried and failed to do. Obviously building through the draft is a slow process, but sets a team up for success in the long run, so kudos to Dimitroff for that. Our last two drafts under Dave Gettleman have been outstanding, with only a couple guys not panning out. Ron Rivera slowly improved year to year to a point where his job is now secure, where you have no idea how Quinn will react as the man in charge.

As far as the Oline, we found a couple gems last year, Trai Turner in the 3rd and Andrew Norwell as an UDFA. Once these guys, and Mike Remmers at RT, were inserted in the line up our offense started clicking. We are still screwed at LT, but I'm very interested what Dave Gettleman will do in the draft to adress it as I think Oher and Martin were intended as depth and competition. Still concerned about the #2 WR position but I also believe that will be addressed in the draft after kicking the tires on Greg Jennings in FA.

Our defense is one good SS and another corner away from being solid top to bottom, not a big Roman Harper fan. Kony Ealy really was coming on toward the close of the season opposite CJ, and I feel that TD and Luke are the best tandem in the league. Not to mention KK Short and Star L who allow the LBs to run.

So my take in essence is other than Julio, y'all have a lot of room for improvement. However the Bucs are the Bucs, and the Saints are breathing their last gasp with Brees, I see a great rivalry between the Panthers and the Falcons for the near future. Enjoy reading this board, Pewter Report always seems to be on suicide watch, and Saints Report posters are convinced that they will be better next year despite losing two of their best recieving options.

Hope y'all had a blessed Easter, and here's to the Saints going back to the cellar where they belong.

Cam finished 26th in NFL QB rating. I think he's regressing, not getting better. He's not in the same QB Stratosphere as Matt Ryan

Wish we had your defense though.

If the franchise had a lick of sense then Ron Rivera's seat would be smoking hot. Instead most of the Panthers fans I know are walking around with their chests puffed out after winning one of the worst divisions in recent history with a laughable record. They were one Mike Nugent chip shot fg miss from being 6-10 and missing the playoffs last season.

They honestly remind me a lot of the Rankin Smith owned Falcons back in the day.

Obviously I'm going to disagree with the Cam/Ryan part but quality post nonetheless.

Cam finished 26th in NFL QB rating. I think he's regressing, not getting better. He's not in the same QB Stratosphere as Matt Ryan

Wish we had your defense though.

He's honestly one of the worst QB's I've ever seen at throwing the sideline out pattern. Laughably bad. When the Panthers tried to extend his career last season early on by keeping him in the pocket he failed miserably, when they said the **** with it brought back the read option (which he's taking a ton of punishment from) they started winning a few games again. Newton will have a very short effective career.

They embarrassed us 34-3 at home, you can't win that argument.

Who cares about last season it's over. We will play them next year twice and see who is the better team.

In the mean time GO HAWKS!

Edited by insight

Cams regression IMHO is a function of the worst OC in the NFL. Schula is terrible, but we're stuck with him for now. Hes been bad everywhere he's been, and I really don't see him ever improving. Would not have a job if he wasn't Dons son.

He's honestly one of the worst QB's I've ever seen at throwing the sideline out pattern. Laughably bad. When the Panthers tried to extend his career last season early on by keeping him in the pocket he failed miserably, when they said the **** with it brought back the read option (which he's taking a ton of punishment from) they started winning a few games again. Newton will have a very short effective career.

Judging by your avi, you're privy to some Panther games as am I. Cam is undoubtedly one of the most inaccurate passers I have ever seen when it comes to sideline throws. Is he awful? No. But he ain't good. Just an athlete at the QB position.

Screw the Panthers. I still believe they are going to fall hard. Very similar to what we did after 2012.

I think Can is a sham, and I see their defense falling apart.

I respect the Bucs more than them. I just can't bring myself to respect that team and never have I been able to. An expansion team with terrible fans and many many other things I just find laughable.

Screw the Panthers!

From a neutral standpoint.

QB: I kinda like Cam Newton, but have to go with Matt Ryan here.

WR: Both teams have a really good #1 WR. Julio Jones is a beast when healthy and Kelvin Benjamin had a great rookie year and I expect him to get better. After that, Atlanta have an aging but still solid Roddy White as #2 WR and the Panthers don't have any really depth at the position. I think both teams will use another deep WR class (probably not as great as last years but still very solid) to improve their WR core.

RB: Jonathan Stewart can't stay healthy but right now I'd still take him over Devonta Freeman. But this is one of the positions which will be better evaluated after the draft. I think both teams will use a pretty high draft pick (round 2-4) in a very deep and one of the best RB draft classes in a long time, maybe ever.

OL: To be fair I don't know much about both teams OL units because I don't watch teams so close. Carolina bring in Jonathan Martin and Michael Oher in the offseason, so I think they are seeking for a help at both tackle positions. I didn't watch them in many games but based on the playoff game in Seattle, I think Carolina OL played really good. For Atlanta, I liked Jake Matthews coming out of A&M last season. I've read he struggles a bit in his rookie season because of injuries, but he'll get better in the future.

TE: Greg Olsen is a top 10, maybe top 5 TE right now and Atlanta have a really big hole at that position. It will be also hard to get better in not so good TE class.

Offense: I'll choose Atlanta here because of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones connection, but they need to improve running game. Carolina needs to get another target for Newton and both teams should probably also improve their OL.

DL: I love the Panthers DL and think they are second best in the league after Buffalo. Atlanta will improve their pass rush in the draft and with better Dan Quinn's scheme, but talent-wise I still think they won't be close to Carolina's DL.

LB: I don't know much about the Falcons LB core, but from what I've read in my time here they need to improve a lot. On the other side, Luke Kuechly is arguably the best MLB in the league and Thomas Davis is also still very good despite his age and injuries, so I have to go with Carolina here.

Secondary: I don't know much about Panthers secondary to be fair, but we probably all agree that Desmond Trufant (as a UW fan I loved him before you Falcons fans did, lol) is the best secondary player of both teams. I'll also say that overall secondary play for the Falcons will improve a lot under Quinn, Raheem Morris and Marquand Manuel, so I go with Atlanta here.

Defense: Atlanta will improve to (I quess) around top 15-20 in most statistics but Carolina's defense will still be better overall.

HC: I love Dan Quinn as our former DC and think he has everything to be a good to potentially great HC, but he's still unproven, so for now I have to go with Ron Rivera.

To conclude: Despite losing their best offensive playmaker I can't totally write off Drew Brees and the Saints (and the Bucs with Jameis Winston will most likely also be a better team), but as of right now (before the draft) I think it's between Carolina and Atlanta for the divisional title. The Falcons are better at key positions like QB, #1 WR, #1 CB and probably LT, but the Panthers are defending back to back NFC South champions so I think they should be considered favourites again. I think it will take 9 or maybe 10 wins to win the division this year. Both teams will benefit to play against AFC South and also NFC East (yes, Dallas and Philadelphia should be good, but both the Giants and Redskins are beatable). Of course, there is still a draft before us and a lot of other things can happen betwen now and September.

And when talking about AFC South opponents - Falcons@Jaguars is one of the non-Seahawks game on the schedule I look forward the most. I hope it will be a good defensive battle between the teams lead by our two former DCs. Hopefully a young Jags offense around Bortles will improve this season, so we'll see a good game.

Wait, the Panthers have fans? i thought that was a basketball state.

Go Duke!

Lol

I liked Trufant a lot in the draft and he has become what I thought he could be. If you check PFF Josh Norman ended the year as one of the top corners in the league, and Bene Benwikere was solid as a rookie. Tre Boston, (rookie from UNC) took over the safety spot from DeCoud and Never looked back, while Roman Harper returns for what seems like his 18th season at SS. Our secondary is better than most people realize. 8 of the 11 spots on our D are young guys playing very well and should continue to improve. I like are secondary situation much better than I did this time last year.