Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2015 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

1,909 posts in this topic

All good points.

And boy do we miss McCann.

I'll make that statement without even thinking about offense. Just defense. Brian McCann's such a great defensive catcher and we miss that so much.

Braves young pitchers really finished strong. Just need that success to carry over to next spring.

Williams Perez - 5 G, 5 GS, 30 2/3 IP, 33 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 3 HR, 8 BB, 21 SO, 2.35 ERA - .289/.339/.456 (.795)

Julio Teheran - 17 G, 17 GS, 106 IP, 89 H, 39 R, 38 ER, 13 HR, 40 BB, 97 SO, 3.23 ERA - .228/.305/.372 (.677)

Ryan Weber - 5 G, 5 GS, 28 1/3 IP, 25 H, 15 R, 15 ER, 3 HR, 6 BB, 19 SO, 4.76 ERA - .248/.303/.396 (.699)

Matt Wisler - 6 G, 5 GS, 36 2/3 IP, 30 H, 9 R, 9 ER, 4 HR, 10 BB, 26 SO, 2.21 ERA - .219/.277/.350 (.627)

That Teheran line includes a start against the Yankees where he gave up 8 runs in just 4 1/3 innings pitched. Take that start out and Teheran posted an ERA of 2.66 in 101 2/3 innings pitched. That's really good and falls much more in line with the 2.89 ERA he posted in 2014.

That Weber line includes a start against the Marlins where he gave up 7 runs in just 2 innings pitched. Take that start out and Weber posted an ERA of 2.73 in 26 1/3 innings pitched. Pretty freaking good.

The only one that concerns me is Williams Perez. His slash line suggests that he was a bit lucky to not give up more runs.

I agree with k26dp that the Braves will go out and bring in a veteran starter to go with all these young kids.

Oh, and I didn't even mention what Arodys Vizcaino did this year after coming back from suspension. He was lights out and I think he firmly locked down the closer's job for next year.

36 G, 33 2/3 IP, 27 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 1 HR, 13 BB, 37 SO, 1.60 ERA - .218/.292/.323 (.615)

Hart says he thinks the Braves will be 15 to 20 wins better in 2016. He said the bullpen is top on the to do list this winter. He did say they plan to boost the offense but they wont discuss the plan for that until next week when the organizational meetings begin in Orlando. The Braves do plan to increase payroll in 2016 but the biggest jump will come in 2017.

Braves will keep a close on Olivera this winter. He'll begin work right away. He'll be working with Braves assistant hitting coach Jose Castro in Miami. He'll have another Braves assistant on the coaching staff of his winter league team.

Hart says he thinks the Braves will be 15 to 20 wins better in 2016. He said the bullpen is top on the to do list this winter. He did say they plan to boost the offense but they wont discuss the plan for that until next week when the organizational meetings begin in Orlando. The Braves do plan to increase payroll in 2016 but the biggest jump will come in 2017.

Braves will keep a close on Olivera this winter. He'll begin work right away. He'll be working with Braves assistant hitting coach Jose Castro in Miami. He'll have another Braves assistant on the coaching staff of his winter league team.

So a .500 team at best? Sweet....

Wonder how much the payroll will jump in 2017

Wonder how much the payroll will jump in 2017

I'm pretty sure they reworked the TV deal where the money increases incrementally on an annual basis and that takes effect in 2017. Attendance will probably go up now that their stadium will be in the heart of their primary fanbase instead of at the very edge of it. I wouldn't expect them to be top spenders but I'll guess the budget will be in the $115-120 range.

I'm pretty sure they reworked the TV deal where the money increases incrementally on an annual basis and that takes effect in 2017. Attendance will probably go up now that their stadium will be in the heart of their primary fanbase instead of at the very edge of it. I wouldn't expect them to be top spenders but I'll guess the budget will be in the $115-120 range.

I think the plan all along was for the payroll to go up into that $115-120M range that you speak of. 2017 is also the year where the big money on Freddie's deal kicks in.

I think the plan all along was for the payroll to go up into that $115-120M range that you speak of. 2017 is also the year where the big money on Freddie's deal kicks in.

He'll be about 1/6 of the payroll if the budget is in that range in 2017.

For those that hate what the Braves did all you need to do is see what the Astros and Cubs are doing this year to see the future!!

The Cubs hit on more prospects in that lineup than the Braves have in 10 years.

The Cubs hit on more prospects in that lineup than the Braves have in 10 years.

A lot easier to do when you are consistently picking in the top 5 for 10 years straight.

AEFalcon likes this

Agree that the Braves will be similar to the Cubs and Astros in that the roster will be peppered with young players brought up from the minors....and as hard as this last season was and for those that hated the moves, Hart accomplished way more in one offseason than any offseason by the Astros or Cubs. My guess, and it is only as a guess, is that Hart reduced the rebuilding time by about half by being so assertive and aggressive this offseason. I'm looking forward for a few roster tweaks this offseason through minor/mid-range FA signings and/or trade plus a really nice draft.

Agree that the Braves will be similar to the Cubs and Astros in that the roster will be peppered with young players brought up from the minors....and as hard as this last season was and for those that hated the moves, Hart accomplished way more in one offseason than any offseason by the Astros or Cubs. My guess, and it is only as a guess, is that Hart reduced the rebuilding time by about half by being so assertive and aggressive this offseason. I'm looking forward for a few roster tweaks this offseason through minor/mid-range FA signings and/or trade plus a really nice draft.

They also reportedly have Kevin Maitan lined up in international amateur free agency, which is nice.

Yeah Maitan is pegged as the next elite hitter coming over. He's seriously young still at 15 but he's already agreed to be a Brave. Scouts do compare him to Miguel Cabrera. The Braves had to be aggressive and different so they were. The plan all along was to have a contender for SunTrust Park so there was no time to waste. It hurt in 2015 but in 2016 we should start seeing some of the work. The Cubs are a year ahead of schedule so who knows

Falconsfan567 likes this

Yeah Maitan is pegged as the next elite hitter coming over. He's seriously young still at 15 but he's already agreed to be a Brave. Scouts do compare him to Miguel Cabrera. The Braves had to be aggressive and different so they were. The plan all along was to have a contender for SunTrust Park so there was no time to waste. It hurt in 2015 but in 2016 we should start seeing some of the work. The Cubs are a year ahead of schedule so who knows

So are the Astros and Mets.

I'm not sold on the Mets as a long-term winner the way that I am with the Astros and Cubs.

Outside of Conforto and an oft-injured d'Arnaud, that offense is pretty light in its long-term projections.

Outside of Conforto and an oft-injured d'Arnaud, that offense is pretty light in its long-term projections.

Yeah they don't have the long-term offensive players but with that pitching staff they'll have a chance.

Yeah they don't have the long-term offensive players but with that pitching staff they'll have a chance.

We'll see how well those power arms hold up to multiple seasons of wear and tear.