Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2015 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

1,909 posts in this topic

Its an odd one for sure. The tiebreaker is last seasons record. The Reds finished worse than Atlanta in 2014 so they get the higher pick.

That is seriously stupid!

Holy Crap! C'mon Rockies, they have scored 7 runs in the 9th to take a lead 7-3!!!

If we come out of the shutout sweep of the Cardinals and still have the 3rd overall slot then I'll be very happy with how they closed out this season.

Congrats and a Big Thank-you to the Colo Rockies for the comeback win ensuring the Braves garner the 3rd pick even though we sweep/shut-out the Cardinals. A very nice finish to what was a tough season.

Not that active on the forum this season for obvious reasons. Still enjoyed yet another year debating and crying here in TATB. Now the fun of putting together the 2016 Braves can begin. Should be a fun winter.

Falconsfan567 likes this

I am looking forward to this off-season, bringing in new players to improve the squad but first I would like to say way to fight until the finish by the 2015 Braves. It was not the season we all hoped for but their play during the final month of Sep brought some hope for 2016!

Heh, the 2015 Braves end the season scoring exactly the same number of runs as the 2014 Braves, 573.

Yep, getting rid of all those strikeouts sure did make a difference.

All this does is make me recall the wailing and gnashing of teeth the trades caused and the claims that this team would be lucky to score any runs.

All this does is make me recall the wailing and gnashing of teeth the trades caused and the claims that this team would be lucky to score any runs.

Well, they finished last in the league in runs, so I'd the gnashing was justified.

Well, they finished last in the league in runs, so I'd the gnashing was justified.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it seeing as how the rebuild lineup scored as many runs as the championship or bust lineup. At least this time around we have a worthwhile farm system to look forward to and the resources to make immediate upgrades to the roster.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it seeing as how the rebuild lineup scored as many runs as the championship or bust lineup. At least this time around we have a worthwhile farm system to look forward to and the resources to make immediate upgrades to the roster.

Sure, but there were many people (and I don't remember if you were one) who was putting forth the idea that somehow the offense would improve with less talented players.

And the 2014 team was also essentially the 2013 team that just stopped taking walks or hitting home runs in the second half of 2014.

Sure, but there were many people (and I don't remember if you were one) who was putting forth the idea that somehow the offense would improve with less talented players.

And the 2014 team was also essentially the 2013 team that just stopped taking walks or hitting home runs in the second half of 2014.

I said the lineup would improve with a more patient approach and getting more patient hitters. This season was a step in the right direction but they still need to assemble a talented enough roster for it to make a real difference.

I said the lineup would improve with a more patient approach and getting more patient hitters. This season was a step in the right direction but they still need to assemble a talented enough roster for it to make a real difference.

The problem with 2014 was that pretty much the same players were patient in 2013 (Melvin excepted, natch). High strikeouts by themselves don't always indicate a lack of patience. Lower walks and lack of deep counts indicate a lack of patience. Simply "putting the ball in play" by itself is not a good method of generating runs. Both offenses were equally inept, just in different ways.

There's no one set formula for good offense. Just in this postseason, three NL playoff teams are above league average in strikeouts, with the Cubs #1 in striking out. The Cards and Dodgers are both below league average, and the Dodgers struck out 150 more times than Atlanta.

Falconsfan567 likes this

The problem with 2014 was that pretty much the same players were patient in 2013 (Melvin excepted, natch). High strikeouts by themselves don't always indicate a lack of patience. Lower walks and lack of deep counts indicate a lack of patience. Simply "putting the ball in play" by itself is not a good method of generating runs. Both offenses were equally inept, just in different ways.

There's no one set formula for good offense. Just in this postseason, three NL playoff teams are above league average in strikeouts, with the Cubs #1 in striking out. The Cards and Dodgers are both below league average, and the Dodgers struck out 150 more times than Atlanta.

The 2013 lineup also had McCann, career years from players like Simmons and Chris Johnson, a weirdly clutch bench, and, at the very least, Uggla still hitting 20+ home runs. In 2014 the players went back to normal or regressed even more and though Gattis is a good slugger he does not have McCann's patience at the plate.

I will not argue that strikeouts are overrated though.

DOB had an article on the catching position. In it were quotes from Hart. He said the Braves will take a creative approach to the position this winter. I would think that means trade market. DOB also added it sounds like the Braves have no plans to go into 2016 with Bethancourt the projected #1. AJ is also wanted back in Atlanta but AL teams are expected to be involved in his market.