Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

2015 Atlanta Braves Regular Season Thread

1,909 posts in this topic

Fairly interesting interview with John Schuerholz in the Atlanta Business Chronicle.

Some important pull quotes:

"Our payroll will remain fairly well static going into next year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have a different or better team because we will rearrange the roster and we’ve already begun that process. We are above $100 million and not up to $120 million, so somewhere in that range is where we operate and we will operate again next year."

"The fact that we haven’t generated as much revenue as we expected we would, the team has not performed as well as we projected they would, we’ve had to make adjustments to our expense side of the ledger and we’ve done it."

So the team was even worse than the front office anticipated. I guess they expected more sooner from the younger talent.

I think it's that and we also expected full seasons from Grilli and Freeman.

Thats true. Grilli was a big blow on and off the field for the team. Freeman was the only real power threat left. Well at least theres going to be a top 3 pick.

So the team was even worse than the front office anticipated. I guess they expected more sooner from the younger talent.

The biggest problem was that stretch where the young pitchers decided to have a collective implosion. They went, what? 1-19 during that time?

With the win in the books tonight by the Braves and if the Reds lose tonight we will have tie for #2 pick. Oakland 2 games back. Cincy has Chi Cubs and @Pitt. Oak has @LAA and @ Sea. Its going to be close.

Update on draft pick race after all games finalized:

Philly 3 games lead for #1 pick over Atl and Cincy. Atl and Cincy are tied for #2 pick with Oak 1.5 games behind, Colo 3 games behind & Milwaukee 4 games behind. Cincy is actually playing the worse ball equaling Atl run of ineptness a few weeks ago.

Coppy is officially being promoted to GM.

Awesome! It's been reported many times that Coppy did a lot of the work behind most of the Braves big trades and that John Hart just approved the deals.

Coppy is officially being promoted to GM.

He is promoted to GM, but the real GM is still Hart.

Awesome! It's been reported many times that Coppy did a lot of the work behind most of the Braves big trades and that John Hart just approved the deals.

So it's coppy fault this team sucks. Great.

I'm tired of the 4-headed monster leading this team. Back in the day, it was Schuerholz and that was it. Now it's Schuerholz, Hart, Bobby, and Coppy. Pick a guy and go with it.

We could use the money we are wasting on paying Cox and Hart on some decent talent.

Hey Bobby Cox, FIND A LAKE TO FISH ON AND LEAVE TOWN. WE DONT NEED YOUR LOSER MENTALITY!

I'm tired of the 4-headed monster leading this team. Back in the day, it was Schuerholz and that was it. Now it's Schuerholz, Hart, Bobby, and Coppy. Pick a guy and go with it.

It was never just Schuerholtz. When he was GM, it was Stan Kasten, then Terry McQuirk, working the business side of the front office. Schuerholtz had a series of assistants -- Doug Melvin, Dayton Moore, Frank Wren.

This season Hart called the shots, Coppellella was his assistant, and Schuerholtz was on the business side. I don't know what Coppellela's promotion will do regarding the balance of duties.

From all indications, Bobby Cox had very little to do with the team after Hart was hired.

AEFalcon and Falconsfan567 like this

Draft pick race: Atlanta now has the 3 pick slot after yesterday's win and Cincy lost. Cincy has played and lost already today and Oakland who is 1.5 games behind Atl does not play today. Both Colo and Milwaukee still have mathematical shot by being 2 and 4 games behind Atl.

Hart keeps the president of baseball operations title. This move might have been just so Coppy doesnt leave Atlanta. Assures him the GM title and a raise. Hart, JS and Coppy about to address the media so we'll know more.

AEFalcon likes this

I don't share the same resentment to Bobby Cox has you do Jim and I don't think he is as big as an influence now as you blame on him. He may be an influence on Gonzales (& I wish he would reconsider) but he also is the reason Hart came over as well. He did however play a major part in with Braves success by establishing scouting and a strong farm system, a formula they are going back too. Also Schueholtz stated came to Atl largely because he respected Bobby as did many great players. If you are not going to embrace the past then why even bother being a fan of one team. Show some respect.

Falconsfan567 likes this

If you really think John Schuerholtz made all the moves for the Braves all by himself back in those days then you're just wrong.

Draft pick race: Atlanta now has the 3 pick slot after yesterday's win and Cincy lost. Cincy has played and lost already today and Oakland who is 1.5 games behind Atl does not play today. Both Colo and Milwaukee still have mathematical shot by being 2 and 4 games behind Atl.

The Reds have now lost 12 straight games. They're tanking so hard! They're trying to get the #1 pick. Only 1 GB of PHI.

Coppy learned under the best, Frank Wren. I have no doubt he'll build us into a perennial franchise

Coppy learned under the best, Frank Wren. I have no doubt he'll build us into a perennial franchise

Wren took more a traditional approach while gunning for high floor, low ceiling prospects. Coppy has a reputation of being far more analytical and the draft suggests he prefers upside.

Wren took more a traditional approach while gunning for high floor, low ceiling prospects. Coppy has a reputation of being far more analytical and the draft suggests he prefers upside.

I'm glad you could see my sarcasm

Frank Wren = GOAT