If You Had To Designate Two June 1 Cuts Who Would You Choose?

We're still $18.4M under the cap. We could free up even more cap space with a couple June 1 cuts. That would put us in a good position to sign a couple free agents and/or front load a couple extensions. If you had to designate two June 1 cuts, which two players would you choose?

2015 June 1 Cap Relief

Sam Baker - $4.5M

William Moore - $4.0M

Roddy White - $3.7M

Jonathan Babineaux - $3.0M

Joe Hawley - $3.0M

Devin Hester - $2.4M

Tyson Jackson - $2.3M

Lamar Holmes - $1.5M

T.J. Yates - $1.1M

Peter Konz - $0.9M

Baker is obvious and he is the only one i actually would want to designate a June 1st right now because i don't see him winning the LG position and don't think he can play RT.

Some will say Tyson Jackson, but with his run stuffing ability he will have value to the team in our base defense and goal line packages.

My other option if i HAD to would be Roddy. He doesn't beat 1v1 very often anymore and relies on being moved around to get open. We could have replaced him with Torrey Smith or even a WR or 2 WR's in this draft since this class is so deep.

Had we done free agency differently i would be more open to designating people as June 1st cuts.

Since we are not up against the salary cap, I dont see the utility in cutting anyone for financial reasons. We simply dont need the money right now.

Now if they didnt make the final 53, it would be Jackson and Baker. Baker because he has legitimate durability isuues and Jackson becuase I think his cap hit gets higher every year.

Edited by FentayeJones

We used the entire cap last year minus 2.3 mil. Where do you get your info?

NOT VERIFIED but I did read

there is an NFL requirement that a certain percentage of the salary allotment MUST be used.. Don't remember the exact numbers but it's roughly 90%

At what 403 this year that means they can only have a cap of 4.03 when the effective date comes. Then I believe it can changes later in the season as players get cut etc.

the big caps number (25) only come at seasons end when contracts expire.

the article said Atl was usually in the middle of the pack at about 95%

We're still $18.4M under the cap. We could free up even more cap space with a couple June 1 cuts. That would put us in a good position to sign a couple free agents and/or front load a couple extensions. If you had to designate two June 1 cuts, which two players would you choose?

2015 June 1 Cap Relief

Sam Baker - $4.5M

William Moore - $4.0M

Roddy White - $3.7M

Jonathan Babineaux - $3.0M

Joe Hawley - $3.0M

Devin Hester - $2.4M

Tyson Jackson - $2.3M

Lamar Holmes - $1.5M

T.J. Yates - $1.1M

Peter Konz - $0.9M

Your list is the reason I am not locking on a position in this draft or any other. White is here till he retires if he wants to be even if his PT drops as we prepare for his retirement. Baker is likely here for another season. This is why we do not reach for a position this year. This is not a one year turn around. We should improve this year but we will not be in a position to go deep in the playoffs but with Ryan anything is possible. Do not look for us to start taking out the trash till next year after we see just what we have here.

Your list is the reason I am not locking on a position in this draft or any other. White is here till he retires if he wants to be even if his PT drops as we prepare for his retirement. Baker is likely here for another season. This is why we do not reach for a position this year. This is not a one year turn around. We should improve this year but we will not be in a position to go deep in the playoffs but with Ryan anything is possible. Do not look for us to start taking out the trash till next year after we see just what we have here.

yet in 08 TD Smith Signed 10 FAs pre draft

7 of 11 draftees made the 53 roster (2 IR, 1 Cut, 1 PS)

and 10 more FAs signed post draft and during season

that a 50% turnover and they went 11-5

do you think the returning players from 07 were that much better than the returning players from 14?

We don't need the money. I haven't looked at bakers contract but I don't think his dead money is very large next year. Id rather just wait and cut him outright, then do it now and spread his dead money out over this year and next. Id rather just bite the bullet and have more money next year. No reason to do it now.

yet in 08 TD Smith Signed 10 FAs pre draft

7 of 11 draftees made the 53 roster (2 IR, 1 Cut, 1 PS)

and 10 more FAs signed post draft and during season

that a 50% turnover and they went 11-5

do you think the returning players from 07 were that much better than the returning players from 14?

Once again I think the offensive roster is in much better shape apart from Turner. We really have no idea how the Oline is because of injuries the last 2 years but what has been on the field has not been overly impressive or even adequate. That is the group that ended Jackson's career. Winning our division is a very real possibility but do you really think we are just a pass rusher away from beating the Seahawks or Greenbay at home in the playoffs? With Ryan and a improved run game it may be possible to upset one but I do not bank on twice.Then there is a scheme change and who can adjust to it and who can not?

No there are no questions those last 2 seasons were just a fluke. We are a pass rusher away from from being able to beat the Seahawks, and Greenbay at home in the playoffs.

What is the dead money next year if we cut Baker?

Hmm it's 6.5

So cutting him now spreads his 9 million over 2 years which would be cheaper.

How late can you do june 1st? I'm guessing you cant wait till TC?

No reason to june 1st anyone. We arent using the space this year

Why shouldn't we? We're sitting around $18.4M. Rookie pool is projected at $7M. We usually keep $3M for emergencies, so that leaves around $8M. We could add another $7M with a couple June 1 cut designees and get to $15M. That would allow us to add more pre-draft free agents. Just think, if we fill in some more holes before the draft we could take even more of a BPA approach and add real talent vs positional reach talent. There are still several free agents on the market. Some are old heads, but many are young guys that could fill some of our holes:

QB - Jason Campbell. Matt Schaub, Matt Flynn

RB - Knowshon Moreno, Ahmad Bradshaw, Pierre Thomas

FB - John Kuhn

WR - Darious Moore, Michael Crabtree, Ricardo Lockette

TE - Zach Miller, Rob Housler, Michael Palmer

OT - Joseph Barksdale, Anthony Collins

OG - Davin Joseph, Rob Sims

OC - Stefen Wisniewski, Chris Meyers, Brian de la Puente

DE - Anthony Spencer, Da'quan Bowers, Mathias Kiwanuka, Osi Umenyiora

DT - Red Bryant, C.J. Moseley, Barry Cofield, Terrance Cody, Alex Carrington

OLB - Geno Hayes, Phillip Wheeler

ILB - Brandon Spikes, Michael Wilhoite, Chris White

CB - Tarell Brown, Zachary Bowman

S - Stevie Brown, Dawan Landry, Brandin Ross, Jaiquwan Jarrett, Laron Landry

We also could use some of it to front load a few extensions for guys we plan to keep around, whose contracts expire in the next year or so.

Let me rephrase all this for you

"DRAFT GURLEY , AMARI COOPER , OR KEVIN WHITE WITH THE TOP 8 PICK"

I'm tired of people around here keep saying "WE NEED TO GO BPA WITH OUR PICK BECAUSE THIS IS A 2 YEAR BUILD"

Bull!!! That's just an excuse to draft a flashy pick player on offense that we def don't NEED! Not we could use a OG which they have one that is worth a top 10 pick BRANDON Scherif that dude is a monster. OT from lsu L"oel Collins is a beast. What about CB trae Wayne's? We do need help in those positions and none of those are reaches. Now I do agree a player like Bud Dupree is a reach at 8 at this point I would def trade back if he is our last option as a pass rusher.

It's not about just getting a pass rusher but its def not about just grabbing a dumb pick just because you guys want a flashy pick. That's just like saying

If the Green Bay packers go 6-12 and end up with a top 10 pick (pick8) to be exact, and they need badly a pass rusher but by the time they pick all the top pass rushers are gone they should draft mariota at 8 or Todd GURLEY at 8 or Amari cooper at 8 cause BPA??? That's just stupid if you are smart then you followed my point there.

And if you didn't let me break it down.

The Green Bay packers have a beast running back in Eddie lacy,

The Falcons have devonta freeman and anyone smith who I think both will be good enough in this zone scheme this year and easy better than what Smitty nem allowed us to see.

Green Bay Packers have good WR's they don't need to draft none with a top 10 pick that's just stupid!

Atlanta Falcons have Julio jones, And Roddy white I don't care how old roddy is since when's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with two top 10 pick WR's?? Julio drafted at 6 overall and amari copper drafted 8 overall? That's dumb!!!

On to my next point

QB GREEN BAY PACKERS HAVE AARON RODGERS IM NOT GONNA EVEN GO THERE!! NEXT!!!!

QB ATLANTA FALCONS HAVE Matt RYAN MARIOTA WHO AND WHY at 8?

All I'm basically saying is you guys need to slow down with the BPA CRAP!! Just another word for lets just draft a flashy guy that we already have smh bad GM you guys would be!

Ending note

I REALLY WANT VIC BEASLY BAD IF TRADING UP WONT COST US OUR 2nd round pick this year and our first next year than I'm all for it.

I'm not saying trade up to 1,2,3 or 4 but to at least 5!

But if not I WOULDnt BE Mad WITH OG, CB, or OT at 8. If not trade back a couple spots and grab bud Dupree who I think mite be worth a top 15 pick!

You guys gotta chill with the BPA thingy

Edited by GvGrizzy

We're still $18.4M under the cap. We could free up even more cap space with a couple June 1 cuts. That would put us in a good position to sign a couple free agents and/or front load a couple extensions. If you had to designate two June 1 cuts, which two players would you choose?2015 June 1 Cap ReliefSam Baker - $4.5MWilliam Moore - $4.0MRoddy White - $3.7MJonathan Babineaux - $3.0MJoe Hawley - $3.0MDevin Hester - $2.4MTyson Jackson - $2.3MLamar Holmes - $1.5MT.J. Yates - $1.1MPeter Konz - $0.9M

It's hard to say without knowing the draft results, and if Sam is ready to play. I'd say Holmes for sure. Konz knows zbs if I remember correctly, and given the choice of Holmes at 1.5 and Sam at 4.5, I'll take a healthy Sam Baker. Jackson is just not useful for our needs, so I guess I'd say cut him as well.

I'm tired of people around here keep saying "WE NEED TO GO BPA WITH OUR PICK BECAUSE THIS IS A 2 YEAR BUILD"

Bull!!! That's just an excuse to draft a flashy pick player on offense that we def don't NEED! Not we could use a OG which they have one that is worth a top 10 pick BRANDON Scherif that dude is a monster. OT from lsu L"oel Collins is a beast. What about CB trae Wayne's? We do need help in those positions and none of those are reaches. Now I do agree a player like Bud Dupree is a reach at 8 at this point I would def trade back if he is our last option as a pass rusher.

It's not about just getting a pass rusher but its def not about just grabbing a dumb pick just because you guys want a flashy pick. That's just like saying

If the Green Bay packers go 6-12 and end up with a top 10 pick (pick8) to be exact, and they need badly a pass rusher but by the time they pick all the top pass rushers are gone they should draft mariota at 8 or Todd GURLEY at 8 or Amari cooper at 8 cause BPA??? That's just stupid if you are smart then you followed my point there.

The Falcons have devonta freeman and anyone smith who I think both will be good enough in this zone scheme this year and easy better than what Smitty nem allowed us to see.

Green Bay Packers have good WR's they don't need to draft none with a top 10 pick that's just stupid!

Atlanta Falcons have Julio jones, And Roddy white I don't care how old roddy is since when's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with two top 10 pick WR's?? Julio drafted at 6 overall and amari copper drafted 8 overall? That's dumb!!!

On to my next point

All I'm basically saying is you guys need to slow down with the BPA CRAP!! Just another word for lets just draft a flashy guy that we already have smh bad GM you guys would be!

Ending note

I REALLY WANT VIC BEASLY BAD IF TRADING UP WONT COST US OUR 2nd round pick this year and our first next year than I'm all for it.

But if not I WOULDnt BE Mad WITH OG, CB, or OT at 8. If not trade back a couple spots and grab bud Dupree who I think mite be worth a top 15 pick!

I started to write a reply, but that's way too much rambling for me before a cup of coffee.

On to my next point

Ending note

Well now you seem like you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes I am a BPA to a degree and I see that the BPA when we draft as being Scherff and I would of still took Scherff if Cooper made it till 8 for several reasons Gregory would be a consideration but can not justify it at 8 with his history. No way do I take a player coming off a injury with the 8th overall that is almost as stupid as taking a player that can not stay clean for the combine at 8. No CB in this draft is worth a 8 overall with all the talent that will still be on the board.

Then in the last paragraph we get to the heart of the matter "WHAT YOU WANT". We can end any discussion now about what would be the right smart thing to do for the Atlanta Falcons and talk about what you want and how you feel.

Edited by Sobeit