Nuclear Deal With Iran Looks Imminent.

My understanding is that Iran will shut down 13000-14000 of its 20,000 nuclear centrifuges. They are not allowed to make any more centrifuges under the agreement. Currently, if Iran stopped everything and focused just on making a nuclear weapon, they could do so in about three months. Under the deal, that capacity would be pushed back to one year. They also have to allow outside inspectors full access to the remaining facilities.

In exchange, the European sanctions would be dropped now and the US sanctions dropped only after they met all of the requirements. If at any point they violate the agreement then all of the sanctions are immediately reimposed.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been hearing that same prediction for over 20 years. But it's going to happen this time. Seriously.

Yep, let's lift all sanctions and encourage their nuclear programs and they promise not to use it to make a bomb. Well as long as they promised.

My understanding is that Iran will shut down 13000-14000 of its 20,000 nuclear centrifuges. They are not allowed to make any more centrifuges under the agreement. Currently, if Iran stopped everything and focused just on making a nuclear weapon, they could do so in about three months. Under the deal, that capacity would be pushed back to one year. They also have to allow outside inspectors full access to the remaining facilities.

In exchange, the European sanctions would be dropped now and the US sanctions dropped only after they met all of the requirements. If at any point they violate the agreement then all of the sanctions are immediately reimposed.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

sounds like a good deal provided there is a reliable system in place to make sure they follow it

The funniest thing out of all this is Boehner and other Republicans calling Obama and anti war president.

I'm like duh isn't that what Presidents are supped to be? Why would any sane person want war to always be the first option? Didn't Iraq and Afghanistan teach them anything? WTF is wrong with them.

Good on Obama for avoiding another pointless war that would destabilize the middle east and kill more American lives.

Sure. As long as you gloss over all that NSA spyin' and drone strikin' plus rampant corporatism.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Bush did it too. So I guess it's OK.

The last president who had nothing negative on his resume...well, that person doesn't exist. I'm horrified by the drone strikes, but that one black mark is more than counterbalanced by multiple historic positives. The NSA thing was going to happen independent of who won the White House. We've also lacked oversight on these shadowy government departments. It's why The Good Shepherd is such an engrossing film.

The funniest thing out of all this is Boehner and other Republicans calling Obama and anti war president. I'm like duh isn't that what Presidents are supped to be? Why would any sane person want war to always be the first option? Didn't Iraq and Afghanistan teach them anything? WTF is wrong with them. Good on Obama for avoiding another pointless war that would destabilize the middle east and kill more American lives.

They have a hard on for Netanyahu and he hasn't made it a secret that he wants us to invade Iran.