Quinn Can "make" A Pass Rusher Like Shanahan Can "make" A Rb

The ZBS is supposed to practically make a probowler out of any RB you throw in it.... allegedly.

I have just as much confidence in Quinn doing that with any pass rusher he wants. There's a quote out that he likes 8 LEOs in this draft. I think he could make Eli Harold or Anthony Chikfilo into potential 10 sack guys just like he could Beasley or Fowler.

Now I do want a pass rusher at 8, but that's only because I want to see if he take an elite talent and make him a potential 15+ sack guy. With Quinn though, we can get a pass rusher to be a key player anywhere in the first 3 rounds.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ZBS is supposed to practically make a probowler out of any RB you throw in it.... allegedly.

I have just as much confidence in Quinn doing that with any pass rusher he wants. There's a quote out that he likes 8 LEOs in this draft. I think he could make Eli Harold or Anthony Chikfilo into potential 10 sack guys just like he could Beasley or Fowler.

Now I do want a pass rusher at 8, but that's only because I want to see if he take an elite talent and make him a potential 15+ sack guy. With Quinn though, we can get a pass rusher to be a key player anywhere in the first 3 rounds.

Nobody can 'make' mediocre players into good ones, that's a media myth. We would have finished at or near bottom of NFL last season in defense with Quinn, we had too many injuries and too many bad players. Quinn isn't superman. I think he will be a good coach if given time and we invest in getting good players thru FA and in the draft.

But it's not gonna be a quick fix, and there will be a lot more personnel changes coming before we get there.

Nobody can 'make' mediocre players into good ones, that's a media myth. We would have finished at or near bottom of NFL last season in defense with Quinn, we had too many injuries and too many bad players. Quinn isn't superman. I think he will be a good coach if given time and we invest in getting good players thru FA and in the draft.

But it's not gonna be a quick fix, and there will be a lot more personnel changes coming before we get there.

There's this thing called "player development" that, like, exists. As a fellow Falcon fan, I'm sure you were just as unaware of its existence as I was, but I assure you it is real.

Quinn will make at least two of our front 7 young guys into studs. I am certain of it.

There's this thing called "player development" that, like, exists. As a fellow Falcon fan, I'm sure you were just as unaware of its existence as I was, but I assure you it is real.

Quinn will make at least two of our front 7 young guys into studs. I am certain of it.

Hold on to that dream, TG, we'll revisit later in year.

I believe good coaching helps good players find themselve. However, other than Hageman, I just don't see anyone 'good' on our DL..., although we'll add one or two more from this draft.

the great onesv(l LT, Watts, Deion , Mean Joe ) were born with it, and will find it no matter who their coach is.

Quinn was always my first choice for our new HC....I'm a old school defense guy, and watched this team get far away from that, philosophically, so I want his mindset here. But he didn't make Seattle's defense, it was a core organization philosophy'(GM, HC, asst coaching, scouts) that made them into what they are, Quinn was just a piece of that puzzle. He's no miracle worker, anymore than Nolan obviously wasn't

It's gonna take time and luck (we had major injury,losses last year, and signed mostly injury prone players this offseason) to turn this D into playoff caliber

Edited by Vandy

We still need talent though. You can have all the player development in the world. The coaching staff still needs to be able to work with guys that have talent worth drawing out. Giving Quinn nothing but low ceiling players and guys that are mediocre at their best really is doing this team a disservice.

The whole " give him mediocre edge rushers and let him work" mentality is such a gamble. At this stage, is gambling wise?

Hold on to that dream, TG, we'll revisit later in year.

I believe good coaching helps good players find themselves, other than Hageman, I just don't see anyone 'good' on our DL, although we'll add one or two more from this draft.

the great onesv(l LT, Watts, Deion , Mean Joe ) were born with it, and will find it no matter who their coach is.

Quinn was always my first choice for our new HC....I'm a old school defense guy, and watched this team get away from that, so I want his mindset here. But he didn't make Seattle's defense, it was a core organization philosophy'(GM, HC, asst coaching, scouts) that made them into what they are, Quinn was just a piece of that puzzle. He's no miracle worker, anymore than Nolan was

Idk if you're an NBA/Hawks fan, but I see Quinn as Coach Bud part 2. The scheme/regime he is bringing with him is not to be underestimated. No, he didn't build the Seahawks, but he was there. He was a major part in that. I don't he's gonna come in and be Belichick day 1, but I do think he's gonna be a "miracle worker" of sorts.

I think Goodman, Shembo, Worrilow, and Spruill have a lot more potential than given credit for, despite having bad years. He's gonna pull it out of at least one of these guys.

We still need talent though. You can have all the player development in the world. The coaching staff still needs to be able to work with guys that have talent worth drawing out. Giving Quinn nothing but low ceiling players and guys that are mediocre at their best really is doing this team a disservice.

The whole " give him mediocre edge rushers and let him work" mentality is such a gamble. At this stage, is gambling wise?

at THIS stage are there any other options?

I have hope for a good turnaround season, but I also have to temper that expectation with the knowledge our roster is full of holes and mediocre talent. We only have a three or four talented players on D, the rest is pretty much garbage.

Realistically, I think Blank, TD and Quinn are looking toward 2017 as the timeline to get this team up to SB competitiveness. But no matter what our record is this year, I can watch with enthusiasm and optimism, because we're finally going to be playing aggressive again and trying to win instead of playing not to lose. I couldn't have endured another season of Shlttyball, er Smittyball. That would've been the last straw for me as a fan.

Idk if you're an NBA/Hawks fan, but I see Quinn as Coach Bud part 2. The scheme/regime he is bringing with him is not to be underestimated. No, he didn't build the Seahawks, but he was there. He was a major part in that. I don't he's gonna come in and be Belichick day 1, but I do think he's gonna be a "miracle worker" of sorts.

I think Goodman, Shembo, Worrilow, and Spruill have a lot more potential than given credit for, despite having bad years. He's gonna pull it out of at least one of these guys.

I hope you're right my friend, I see that 'bud' potential in Quinn too, but don't see what you think you do in Goodman, Shembo, et al, but we'll see....

Hawks were a sub.500 team last year, no?

Edited by Vandy

Yep I firmly believe only people who don't play football IRL or just play Madden think a player is a player. A great coach molds players - look what Belichick does with no namers in NE.

Yep I firmly believe only people who don't play football IRL or just play Madden think a player is a player. A great coach molds players - look what Belichick does with no namers in NE.

I played a little football in college. Doesn't make me an expert, but doesn't make me a 'Madden' novice either.

Nobody here knows what kind of head coach Quinn will be. And you pointing toward Belechick supports what I said, see his stint in Cleveland..

Or the packers

Packers go with Rodgers. In fact, that's a pretty mediocre team defensively surrounding him, very similar to us around Ryan. Without Rodgers staying healthy, their drafting strategies would be called into question just as much as ours is.

The Hawks were a playoff team 5 years in a row before Coach Bud arrived. Coach Bud's system maximizes the Hawks current roster and helped them become a legitimate eastern conference playoff contender but comparing them to the Falcons is a huge stretch.

The Falcons were DEAD last in defense and have a questionable offensive line. We only have a handful of bluechip players on the entire roster.

The Falcons are a below .500 team with one of the weakest rosters in the NFL.

It's going to take time to reload the roster and get players in that fit and excel in Dan Quinn's system.

It took Pete Carol time to build up Seattle and it could have taken longer if they didn't find a franchise QB in Russell Wilson.

Belichick could not win with Atlanta's current roster. He is a exceptional coach but not a miracle worker.

Belichick and Pete Caroll both failed miserably as 1st time NFL coaches. They both positioned themselves to have overall control of personnel when they were rehired which is a big difference from what's occurring in Atlanta.

On a side note, Nolan was a highly regarded defensive coach. Many thought who would elevate Atlanta's defense but the exact opposite occurred.

Edited by insight