Nfl Media Analyst Davis Says Falcons Take Gurley #8

PokerSteve

NFL Draft Analyst Charles Davis sees the Atlanta Falcons going for the best player available at #8 instead of taking a second-tier pass-rusher, and Davis says that guy is none other than Georgia Dawg star RB Todd Gurley.

Davis said that Randy Gregory is "no longer" on the draft board of the Falcons because of his pot problems and that Beasley is more Quinn's type of hybrid, multi-position player than Ray.

Here's the link:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/Davis-I-Have-the-Falcons-Taking-Todd-Gurley/5c566f6d-2c68-44d8-819e-38b1f7cd400f

Davis: I Have the Falcons Taking Todd Gurley

Posted 5 hours ago

Reid_Ferrin_Headshot.jpg Reid Ferrin Twitter

NFL Media draft analyst Charles Davis was a recent guest on 92.9 The Game, sharing why he predicted the Falcons will select running back Todd Gurley with their top pick in the upcoming draft.

The 2015 NFL Draft is quickly approaching and the debates continue to heat up over which position the Falcons should target with their No. 8-overall pick on April 30. It's safe to say the majority of the team's fans want a fierce pass rusher selected with the pick, but there are others who believe the best-player-available approach may in fact lead to drafting a running back.

NFL Media draft analyst Charles Davis shared his latest prediction about the Falcons' top pick Wednesday on 92.9 The Game.

"My latest mock draft, I have them taking Todd Gurley," Davis said.

"The reason I did it that way, remember I did it before they announced (Nebraska's Randy) Gregory's stuff (failed drug test), I had a major run on edge rushers. I didn't have an edge rusher that I could give Atlanta, unless I elevated (Kentucky's) Bud Dupree by (Virginia's Eli) Harold, and (No.) eight felt too rich for me.

If the medical is good with Gurley, let's just play like Dallas, running the heck out of the football, keep the ball away from other people for a while, while you continue to build your defense."

Davis was later asked to make a choice for the Falcons between three of the top edge rushers in the draft, Gregory, Missouri's Shane Ray and Clemson's Vic Beasley, assuming each is available with the eighth pick.

"I think that ultimately based on what I've seen from Dan Quinn and his defenses over time, he loves hybrid guys," Davis said.

"He loves guys who can do multiple things. Gregory is not coming off the board if this is the Atlanta that I know. They've already taken him off their board, so that's done.

Beasley is the better athlete, between him and Ray. I think Ray is a better football player, but I would see Beasley coming off the board for Dan Quinn."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they choose him at 8 I'm going to be extremely pissed off. No God given reason a running back needs to be picked that high as deep as the position is this year

Guess it's back to the idea if they got a super star RB, the running game would become part of the defense in terms of time of possession as well as producing more excitement and more points to sell those PSL's.

Guess it's back to the idea if they got a super star RB, the running game would become part of the defense in terms of time of possession as well as producing more excitement and more points to sell those PSL's.

as a fan, I say f that. #8 is extremely too high

The thing is, I like Gurley as a player. I really do. I just don't get why people think it's a good idea to take a RB - a RB at pick #8, no less, and one coming off of an ACL injury - when the top several pass rushers are the most talented we've seen since 2011 and our defense was the worst in the league last year, with arguably the worst pass rush as well. It's about wanting a phenomenal flashy player instead of a better team. Especially when you consider that the RB class this year is incredibly deep compared to the last couple years, and much better than next year's.

The thing is, I like Gurley as a player. I really do. I just don't get why people think it's a good idea to take a RB - a RB at pick #8, no less, and one coming off of an ACL injury - when the top several pass rushers are the most talented we've seen since 2011 and our defense was the worst in the league last year, with arguably the worst pass rush as well. It's about wanting a phenomenal flashy player instead of a better team. Especially when you consider that the RB class this year is incredibly deep compared to the last couple years, and much better than next year's.

good post

Sums it all up nicely. +1

Ryan would pick the league apart off PA with him....and there is no way he will avg less than 5 YPC in the NFL....would have the same impact that Turner had and that Jamal had in 98....but WTF, why even consider him when we could probably land the incredible Randy Gregory at #8 ? .............unsure.png

If they choose him at 8 I'm going to be extremely pissed off. No God given reason a running back needs to be picked that high as deep as the position is this year

Not to mention the fact how god-awful falcons are in overall defensive personnel in general, and at pass rusher talent in particular.

Gurley in the 2nd, not in the first... if Gurley didn't get hurt, he would've been drafted in the top 10 though. Also we are not ruling out Randy Gregory, if he is there and Beastly and Fowler Jr are gone, he will be the pick.

I'm not condoning drafting Gurley at 8, even though he's totally worth it, but everyone crying about it will totally forget their outrage by half way through the season when he's one of the top 3 RBs in the league.

We are just so desperate for a pass rusher, I can't see us taking him. If we had landed a pair of elite passrushers in FA, I'd take him at 8 no questions asked.

I'm not condoning drafting Gurley at 8, even though he's totally worth it, but everyone crying about it will totally forget their outrage by half way through the season when he's one of the top 3 RBs in the league.

We are just so desperate for a pass rusher, I can't see us taking him. If we had landed a pair of elite passrushers in FA, I'd take him at 8 no questions asked.

I would trade down from #8 and draft Gurley in mid to late first round in that case, that's if Beastly, Fowler Jr and Randy Gregory are gone.