Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artys Arryn

Great Film Study Of Randy Gregory

300 posts in this topic

Since Mike Vick fiasco in 2007, the Falcons have been foundationally built for the last 8 years to "avoid risk" - how's that workin' for ya with a mostly talentless roster.

Exactly. Its also the reason why I'm scared we draft Bud Dupree. Team captain and senior.

Been trying to tell yall about Gregory.

Good to see some people opening their minds and actually watching the guy play.

He's going to be phenomenal in a system like Quinn's. If he goes to the Saints I will puke, because they'd be getting one heck of a player.

Yeah, I think Beasley is the best pure pass rusher in this draft. I'd also be cool with Gregory at 8, though I think we might be able to trade down slightly (2-3 spots) and still get him while picking up a mid rounder in the process. Which would be awesome if Beasley isn't available.

Falcons can't afford to take that chance, as they have to come out of this draft with a pass rusher, if for no other reason than PR. If Gregory is who they believe is the right guy, they have to draft him at 8.

Since Mike Vick fiasco in 2007, the Falcons have been foundationally built for the last 8 years to "avoid risk" - how's that workin' for ya with a mostly talentless roster.

I agree & honestly I saw this post coming. I believe there is a happy medium between drafting "choir boys" & drafting any player already in the NFL's substance abuse program.

No one is concerned with Gregory testing positive again as a Falcon this time & getting suspended for X number of games?

Falcons can't afford to take that chance, as they have to come out of this draft with a pass rusher, if for no other reason than PR. If Gregory is who they believe is the right guy, they have to draft him at 8.

You won't hear me complain.

Yep and I think the Giants take him if we don't. They usually always go BPA and reports from there beat writers say there pretty high on him (pun intended).

Been trying to tell yall about Gregory.

Good to see some people opening their minds and actually watching the guy play.

He's going to be phenomenal in a system like Quinn's. If he goes to the Saints I will puke, because they'd be getting one heck of a player.

I've been there from day 1, he's the one with most upside IMO of the 5 amigos (Beasley/Fowler/Ray/Gregory/Dupree).

Now if Leonard Williams was still there at 8, I'd run to the podium and grab him....but he'll be gone by then.

I'm fine with drafting character risks. My line is when it comes to people that harm women, children, and animals. Drugs, bar fights, DUIs, while concerning, don't concern me as much, because those are things you can outgrow, recover, or learn from. Harming women, kids, and animals tells me that person is fundamentally broken.

I'm not saying it's impossible, Brandon Marshall has really impressed me in treating his borderline personality disorder, but i'd rather just stay away from those types.

Francis York Morgan likes this

I'm fine with drafting character risks. My line is when it comes to people that harm women, children, and animals. Drugs, bar fights, DUIs, while concerning, don't concern me as much, because those are things you can outgrow, recover, or learn from. Harming women, kids, and animals tells me that person is fundamentally broken.

I'm not saying it's impossible, Brandon Marshall has really impressed me in treating his borderline personality disorder, but i'd rather just stay away from those types.

I don't care that he smokes. I do care if as a Falcon he tests positive again, only because he won't be on the field to make any impact or contribution.

Honestly I don't know if he's smart enough or cares enough to test clean when the NFL randomly tests him, which they will, for me anyway that's the bottom line.

btw, DUI's harm & kill women & children, but toking up will only potentially hurt him & his team.

Monolith2001 likes this

I won't even pretend to get into an evaluation of available film - not that I'm opposed to people doing so and posting their opinions (in fact, I enjoy seeing what people have to say) - but Quinn is supposed to be an expert on defense, and pass rushers in particular. Even within the rarefied air of the NFL he is supposed to stand out in that regard, so I'm assuming that he knows a lot more about how to evaluate the draft class than I do, and that he is particularly well-suited to fix what is the Falcon's biggest issue. If he isn't, then yes, we are in big trouble.

Exactly. Its also the reason why I'm scared we draft Bud Dupree. Team captain and senior.

Except Bud Dupree has off the chart athletic ability. He just hasn't been coached up much, but UK isn't exactly known as a football school anyway.
Artys Arryn and dozer like this

Except Bud Dupree has off the chart athletic ability. He just hasn't been coached up much, but UK isn't exactly known as a football school anyway.

A red flag to me is when I read of players who underproduced in college who come into NFL needing to be 'coached up'....

We already have one of those guys on team in Hageman.......

Watching Za'Darius Smith at the East West Shrine game really encouraged me in terms of Dupree being able to be coached up. Still, he's a redshirt Senior...he's been playing college ball for 5 years. I'll trust Quinn if he thinks he can coach him up. So much potential.

PokerSteve and YoungHeezy like this

Except for his off the chart athletic ability doesn't show out on the field.

beasley is situational....pass rush only...gregory is the real deal from the line of scrimmage. Brasley is a linebacker with rush ability.....different positions completely

cool-story-bro1.gif
i guess you think beasley is a 1st down run stopper... i think you need to research football more than silly sigs
JJC28 likes this

Except for his off the chart athletic ability doesn't show out on the field.

All those sacks and tackles for loss in a power conference is nothing to ho hum over in my opinion.

What about Mike Vick? he has been out of the police blotter and has been exemplary citizen since then.

KRUNKuno likes this

The Falcon Filter is going to be adjusted. Quinn is looking for FOOTBALL players, not boy scouts. I too like the Team Captains but some times require Spit, Grit and Meanness. Our team will be far better when we stop over analyzing this stuff. Question #1 - Can the man play football? #2. Can he stand up to the harshness of the NFL? #3. Does he have upside?

Round 1- Gregory/Nebraska - He will be all pro within 3 years. Motor, length and a desire to dominate.

Let me tell you another 2 Hopeful Falcons. Grady Jarett/Clemson - Tough as heck, former State Champion wrestler, attitude and strength to play a long time in the NFL. Grab him in the 3rd round.

Ilb Stephone Anthoney/Clemson - Grab this playmaker in the 2nd round.

i guess you think beasley is a 1st down run stopper... i think you need to research football more than silly sigs

The LEO isn't a run stopper. He's almost always asked to rush the passer. A 4-3 under with Cover 3 is very, very similar to a lot of 3-4 looks...start thinking of the LEO as a 3-4 OLB and you'll see why Beasley is so tantalizing.

Meanwhile, I see Gregory as more of a SAM, which is pretty much the strong side 3-4 backer. Also asked to pass rush a decent bit, but required to be more comfortable playing in space and against the run.

I don't think we'll be confined to one scheme, that's just the barebones explanation.

freebird310 likes this

I played football for 14 years bro, how long did you play ? ....or are you just a MB wonder that buys into so called conventional wisdom, matrixes and metrics that are parroted ad nauseum ? ...my gifs are stellar by the way, I work hard at them....cool.png

PokerSteve likes this

I played football for 14 years bro, how long did you play ? ....or are you just a MB wonder that buys into so called conventional wisdom, matrixes and metrics that are parroted ad nauseum ? ...my gifs are stellar by the way, I work hard at them....cool.png

not 14 but i played 8. Vic beasley plays football as a linebacker this team needs a defensive end. We just beought in 2 linebackers and drafted 4 last year. The DE we brought in is on a 1 year deal. If you think that the leo doesnt stop the run, you are just sadly mistaken mr 14 year football player. This team needs an all around player with the #8 pick. Beasley is a nice piece to have. But he doesnt project to help on the run game period. You have to stop the run to be in position to rush the passer. Quinn wants long athletic players at the leo, and gregory fits that as much as fowler does