Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artys Arryn

Great Film Study Of Randy Gregory

300 posts in this topic

Watching the film on him he can pressure and get quick bursts in the B gaps but fails to cover the edge and play the flats. I would draft him as a OLB but definately no to DE, he would get buried on the line.

I think most are projecting Gregory as an OLB - the LEO position in Quinn's defense is basically an OLB

dozer likes this

lol, he is the best of all the passrushers against the run - what are you talking about?

Are you saying that based on fact or based on the film? I saw very bad blocking and he tends to run inside and not contain. The play against Mich state he doesn't read the LT and goes with flow and gets buried from the pulling RG, if he is a true top DE he should stay his position and maintain edge coverage and know the guard is coming and blow up the edge.

dozer and Knight of God like this

I think most are projecting Gregory as an OLB - the LEO position in Quinn's defense is basically an OLB

Ya that makes sense. He isn't big enough on the line IMO

Gregory is the definition of Boom or Bust & I expect him to slide to the Saints @ 13.

For me he's too much of a risk to bust for us to pick him @ #8.

Hoping the FO agrees, if not & he is our pick I'll pull for him to destroy opposing QBs, hit the weights & put down the bong.

freebird310 and Knight of God like this

This is why he was rated number 1 months earlier then all the fluff comes about how deep the draft is, Gregory and Fowler have most upside, Beasley has potential but there is too much of a question about keeping on that wieght plus his short arms, and he was reading the qb cadence - doesnt matter the scouts know this, Gregory is not dropping to the Saints. Vics advantage is going to shrink massively in the pros, it helps if he can hold his wieght Gregory is the based all around though. period. and has been since last year, because the tape doesnt lie.

Complete BS.........

Knight of God likes this

Hau'oli Kikaha is probably the best pass rusher in the draft, it's just that he doesn't offer much other than that, but it terms of speed and explosion off off the edge he's right up there with the top rated OLB's/DE's

Edit: His injury history has probably scared a lot of teams too.

I don't know what you guys are watching but I'm not impressed. He gets sealed to easy and horrible against the run. I am not saying he doesn't have potential, but if we draft at 8 still and he is there and along with his off field issues, I would hope they pass on him and look at other options.

Actually, after watching this very well-presented review, I am convinced that Gregory would be a significant upgrade to our pass rush.

If, after interviews and vetting, Gregory is not an off-the-field concern, then I am all for drafting him at #8.

Knowing what we do about both Dupree & Gregory, it's alot easier (for me anyway) to believe in Dupree & that he will ball out in the NFL over Gregory.

Dupree was a team capt., SEC & a high character guy, 6'6" & his legs are tree trunks (explosive) & I give him points for all those facts.

Gregory has too many issues for the 8th pick imho (assuming we do not trade down).

I just can't trust him to put in the hard work & time that it will take to excel @ the next level.

We have seen too may athletic freaks with issues & tons of potential never live up to it too many times.

Gregory reminds me too much of the coaching saying," Hard work beat talent when talent doesn't work hard."

I don't trust him to work hard & realize his full potential (like others here do) until I actually see it in the NFL.

If we draft him I hope he proves me wrong.

The people hating on Gregory seriously have to watch this vid from beginning to end.

And if nothing else, just watch the play at 8:38 where he bowls over Erik Flowers:

http://youtu.be/S8AdCCOD4iw?t=8m38s

It's not hating on him it's more about drafting him at #8, he has great bursts and speed but he isn't a top ten draft IMO

Hau'oli Kikaha is probably the best pass rusher in the draft, it's just that he doesn't offer much other than that, but it terms of speed and explosion off off the edge he's right up there with the top rated OLB's/DE's

Edit: His injury history has probably scared a lot of teams too.

very true...hopefully its the guy we find in the middle rounds....Definitely would take him in the 3rd or 4th

all the Randy Gregory haters need to watch this. Gregory's "get-off" was slow in most cases because it was designed to be "tackle reads" and not snap-reads or cadence reads.

The things that Gregory's critics hold against him - were things he was designed to do in the defense he was in. He was not free-wheelin' like Beasley and Ray.

As much time as we all spend arguing over these prospects - take the 15 minutes here to get watch this video - well worth the time and you will know Randy Gregory (on the field) better after having watched this vid.

I agree with this to an extent, but the video didn't show me anything I didn't know before. It only takes a few minutes of watching him to realize that he's being asked to play contain a lot. However, they also chose his good get-offs almost exclusively on plays where he was asked to make a snap read or anticipatory read - he's still inconsistent in that facet. He shows a lot of potential with that, but it's not that great, and his overall burst even on ones that he anticipates well isn't on par with someone like Beasley or Ray (not that I'd expect it to be).

That being said, he has more length and a higher ceiling overall, just with bigger risks (injury history and drug use, last one doesn't concern me THAT much but it's worthy of mention) and slightly less consistency. Better run stopper than a lot of the top ranked pass rushers. Would still prefer him as a SAM but I'm warming up to him as a LEO, at least some of the time. Good video for those less familiar with Gregory's game.

g-dawg, KRUNKuno, FalconKick and 1 other like this

It's funny how easily most people's minds get swayed by watching a video or two. I personally have Gregory behind Fowler and Beasley. I recommend everyone to go to draft breakdown and watch all the film you can on the top edge rushers then make a decision based off that.

He basically said Dupree is a phenomenal athlete but very raw. Boom or bust guy and probably not a day 1 starter.

Gregory might be the most NFL ready of all of them.

Whoever we draft in the first round will start for us. How many games would Gregory play in the NFL next year with two failed drug tests like he had in college? He is going to enter the NFL already in the substance abuse program thanks to his third failed drug test @ the combine. I am looking to eliminate any risk we can with our pick not welcome them.

How many games would Gregory play in the NFL next year with two failed drug tests like he had in college? He is going to enter the NFL already in the substance abuse program thanks to his third failed drug test @ the combine. I am looking to eliminate any risk we can with our pick not welcome them.

The risk is worth the reward in Gregory's case. The reason why we miss out on defense talent is because of thinking like that. How many players really come into the leauge and get suspended?

After seeing that breakdown, I have to admit, I missed some things when I watched before. I still want Beasley but after watching the breakdown, he might be a lot less of a project than I thought. He certainly has moved from being in trade back territory to a workable 8th pick on my mockables. I might even say he might be a better pick than Ray for me at the moment. Still he does need to put the weed down. As he has a name now, Goodell and crew are going to be all over him.

After seeing that breakdown, I have to admit, I missed some things when I watched before. I still want Beasley but after watching the breakdown, he might be a lot less of a project than I thought. He certainly has moved from being in trade back territory to a workable 8th pick on my mockables. I might even say he might be a better pick than Ray for me at the moment. Still he does need to put the weed down. As he has a name now, Goodell and crew are going to be all over him.

beasley is situational....pass rush only...gregory is the real deal from the line of scrimmage. Brasley is a linebacker with rush ability.....different positions completely

beasley is situational....pass rush only...gregory is the real deal from the line of scrimmage. Brasley is a linebacker with rush ability.....different positions completely

cool-story-bro1.gif

The risk is worth the reward in Gregory's case. The reason why we miss out on defense talent is because of thinking like that. How many players really come into the leauge and get suspended?

Tell me how many other players are dumb enough to fail the most important (drug) test of their lives, when they know its coming,

To me he's not worth the risk if/when he's suspended. Too much other pass rushing talent in the draft to have to make that call.

He has to be on the field to be worth the risk & make an impact. In the NFL he'll be tested randomly, that's the risk I am referring to.

Let somebody else figure that out & have to deal with him, there are safer options that will help us just as much if not more, jmho

I don't expect to change anyone's mind & if we draft him I'll pull for him but he's not even my 3rd choice for our pick @ 8.

To me he's not worth the risk if/when he's suspended. Too much other pass rushing talent in the draft to have to make that call.

Tell me how many other players are dumb enough to fail the most important (drug) test of their lives, when they know its coming,

He has to be on the field to be worth the risk & make an impact. In the NFL he'll be tested randomly, that's the risk I am referring to.

I honestly think there's a big drop off after Beasley Fowler Gregory and Ray. I think if we drafted him we would be able to get him the support and help he needs to stop smoking.

Whoever we draft in the first round will start for us. How many games would Gregory play in the NFL next year with two failed drug tests like he had in college? He is going to enter the NFL already in the substance abuse program thanks to his third failed drug test @ the combine. I am looking to eliminate any risk we can with our pick not welcome them.

Since Mike Vick fiasco in 2007, the Falcons have been foundationally built for the last 8 years to "avoid risk" - how's that workin' for ya with a mostly talentless roster.

I honestly think there's a big drop off after Beasley Fowler Gregory and Ray. I think if we drafted him we would be able to get him the support and help he needs to stop smoking.

Assuming he actually wants to stop. If we draft him I hope that you're right. No doubt he's a beast & that he can & will put on more weight.

In a normal year pass rushers are not as deep as this year, so imho we have other options without the baggage Gregory will carry into our locker room.