What Could Lead To A Team Being Better On The Road

alwaysfallforward

Some teams, like the Cowboys of 2014 or the Giants of 2007 seem to actually be better on the road than at home, and I don't know why that would be. I can see why a team would be better at home, for reasons such as having the crowd noise on their side. However, why would a team be better on the road? I do think there are reasons a team would be able to play well on the road. A good defense I think helps that out a lot, and a good offensive line.

However, there is a difference in being good at overcoming the lack of an advantage, and actually being better without it.

What could make a team be better on the road than at home. Is it just a coincidence that they lost more on the road, or were the Cowboys and Giants actually better teams on the road. With the Cowboys, they had 4 losses at home. The Niners, Redskins, Cardinals and Eagles. It could be the case that these losses happened to be at home, but that didn't make it worse for them.

They had a few turnovers vs the Niners, Romo was out versus the Cards, plus the Cards seem to play them well, their front 7 seems to match up well with their O-line. With the Skins, it may have been a bad game for them. The Eagles series seems to be the biggest indicator though, Philly dominates them in DAL, to get soundly beat at home in PHI. It could be that DAL was better on the road, or that PHI had an edge on them and they adjusted to play them better.

What could lead to a team actually being better on the road than at home, did it happen with Dallas? What do you guys think?

Some teams "think" homefield gives them an automatic advantage and they play down to the competition. Road teams need to come in sharp and ready from the opening kickoff. If they jump out to the early lead, the home team falls many times. Coaches drill this win early mentality into their players. And if the team has true leaders, they make it happen. I played on a team for several years where this was a focus area of the coaches.

Some teams "think" homefield gives them an automatic advantage and they play down to the competition. Road teams need to come in sharp and ready from the opening kickoff. If they jump out to the early lead, the home team falls many times. Coaches drill this win early mentality into their players. And if the team has true leaders, they make it happen. I played on a team for several years where this was a focus area of the coaches.

This does make a lot of sense. In the case of a team like Dallas, if they get an early lead things could go very well for them, as it would seemingly play into their run oriented offense.

I figured things like defense and things like being able to dominate at the LOS would help a team traveling on the road, however that helps you at home also. That's why I think there is probably more to it if a team is actually BETTER on the road than at home, and this does explain well why it could happen in my opinion.

I'm curious as to what kind of team you were on that did this. Was it High School, College, Semi Pro, or another kind of league? I haven't had a coach that preached this mentality.