Atlanta Falcons Unlikely To Be Scared By Randy Gregory's Issues

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481710/article/atlanta-falcons-unlikely-to-be-scared-by-randy-gregorys-issues

One, according to NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport, could be the Atlanta Falcons.

Keep an eye on No. 8, the Atlanta Falcons," Rapoport said on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft." "Not only do they need edge rushers, but there's been a little bit of a directive from owner Arthur Blank to take edgier players and not be scared by some of these issues. Dan Quinn, the new head coach coming from Seattle, can handle some of these issues in this culture."

If Atlanta were to take Gregory at No. 8, it could be argued that the failed drug test didn't damage his draft status at all. He was considered a potential option for Atlanta before news of the failed test, although with several elite pass rushers possibly going ahead of Gregory anyway, the No. 8 pick could now be a best-case scenario for him.

As NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah noted: "He doesn't have to convince all 32 teams. He just has to convince one."

The Falcons pass rush was abysmal last year,ranking No. 30 in the NFL with just 22 sacks. The fact that pass rushers are considered a premium asset on draft day -- and with no shortage of teams in need of one this year -- could serve to mitigate whatever damage Gregory has done to his status.

NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks addressed the task Gregory faces in convincing NFL clubs that his marijuana use is behind him.

Atlanta could be the club that listens with the most open ears.

Just curious, does this count as a strike against Gregory for a failed drug test? Meaning, lets say we draft him and he fails a drug test in October, is that then considered his second failed test?

yes, it counts as a strike and he enters the league getting help and under the substance abuse program.

yes, it counts as a strike and he enters the league getting help and under the substance abuse program.

He will already be in the NFL's substance abuse program due to his failed drug test @ the combine.

Once he's actually on a team, if he tests positive he'll be suspended for six games to start.

He will already be in the NFL's substance abuse program due to his failed drug test @ the combine.

Once he's actually on a team, if he tests positive he'll be suspended for six games to start.

Did they change the rules last couple of years? Thought it was 4 games,6-8 games, then a season.

Wonder if he quit smoking 3 months before the test and that just wasn't enough time?

^ This is probably the biggest concern coming out of all of this. Drafting a player who is already under the substance abuse program is at a minimum an inherent risk right off the bat.

Since he will already enter the league with a strike and in the program - is it legal to structure the contract to further protect the team financially? obviously a suspension causes the player to lose game-checks so don't know - guess there could be less guaranteed money - but isn't everything "slotted" now?

america needs to lighten up on the weed thing.. BIG FRIGGIN DEAL a guy smokes a little weed. i mean geez.. Alcohol is 10 times worse. A guy just destroyed his body on the field and he;s not allowed to relax and puff a little? its not enhancing his performance nor hindering it.. its a joke

america needs to lighten up on the weed thing.. BIG FRIGGIN DEAL a guy smokes a little weed. i mean geez.. Alcohol is 10 times worse. A guy just destroyed his body on the field and he;s not allowed to relax and puff a little? its not enhancing his performance nor hindering it.. its a joke

Although i agree with your point,

Think you can argue that weed hurt Vick's performance. Think Vick being stoned would explain many of the bad decisions he made on the field.

I'm pretty confident if you were one of the 32 owners shelling out millions of your own dollars to these guys you'd have a slightly different opinion.

Guest Mr Plow

That's not the freaking point. The point is whether or not we want to risk the # 8 pick on a guy with multiple failed drug tests in his past who is now one failed drug test away from a 4 game suspension. I think it's fair to say that if Marijuana caused him to get a 4 game suspension, it absolutely DID hinder his performance.

Nothing to do with America. Has everything to do with NFL. It doesn't matter if you think it's harmless , if you or I are pro-weed or anti-weed. What matters is the NFL. The NFL is currently anti-weed and firmly so.

Not with the 8th pick, if the Falcons trade back into the 20s and Gregory drops that far, think they'd be willing to take the chance.

Just remember what I said in the other post,, Gregory will never be a Falcon.... You would still have to give a high pick for him in one of the greatest Drafts ever.. This Draft is so loaded with talent, How stupid it would be to take a chance on one Drug head?? Let me answer that. ......(Cripple to high for crutchs!!)

I'm not pro-pot or anything, but referring to a guy who gets busted for marijuana as a "drug head" is pretty irresponsible.

Marijuana is a drug , and it affects your head.. , Here's the key,, This just shows how stupid and child like this young man is to know he's going to be tested and still smoke it ??? Ah .... Helloooooooooo !!!!!!! The guy is cripple to high for crutches. Do you really want to take a chance in the deepest and strongest draft's I've ever seen, And I was a draftnut most likely before you were ever born.. Been a hugh hobby of mine for 20 years, Been a huge Falcon fan for 41 years...