It's Time To Face It Michael

You are not NFL caliber talent. Maybe a camp body or even practice squad but that is all.

It has been proven. You say you don't believe you are being discriminated against, but make subtle remarks suggesting you are.

I'm all for not giving up on your dreams, but when you consistently fail it is time to move in another direction to pursue that dream or pursue a different dream.

Michael Sam, you are not being discriminated against, you just aren't as good as you think you are.

Michael Sam: “I am not the only gay person in the NFL”
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 27, 2015, 7:09 AM EDT
50c38ba3ce3b99a655cec1c682408dd2.jpeg?w=AP

Michael Sam was going to be the first openly gay player in the NFL, when he was drafted by the Rams last year.

But he said he quickly found out he’d have been far from the only gay player in the league.

During an appearance at an event in Dallas last night, Sam declined to offer a number, but said there were many players who reached out to him last offseason to thank him.

I am not the only gay person in the NFL,” Sam said, via Charean Williams of theFort Worth Star-Telegram. “I’m just saying there is a lot of us. I respect the players that did reach out to me and had the courage to tell me that they were also gay, but they do not have the same courage as I do to come out before I even played a down in the NFL.

“Was it a risky move? Yes. But at that moment, the reason why I came out is I thought it wasn’t going to be a big deal. Maybe I was naive. Maybe I thought it was 2014, and people will understand that there’s gay NFL players. There’s gay athletes everywhere. But I was clearly wrong. It was a huge deal.

“The players who have reached out to me and told me about their sexual orientation, it just means a lot. But I will never say anything about who they are, what teams they are [on]. I’m just saying there’s some famous people, and I’m not the only one.”

Of course, Sam’s not an NFL player at the moment, and after his subpar showing at last week’s veteran combine, he might not be one anytime soon. But he said he was confident he’d play this season, indicating a stint in the CFL might be in his future.

Sam had a stint on the Cowboys practice squad after the Rams cut him, and doesn’t have anything pending this season. He said he didn’t think the reason was his sexual orientation, but thinks his unemployment could be the reason others haven’t made the decision to come out.

“Hopefully I’m not being discriminated [against] because I’m gay,” Sam said. “I don’t believe that I’m being discriminated [against] because I’m gay. I just want to know if I’m truly not in the NFL, it’s because of talent. Let it be because of my talents. But you’ve got to prove that I can’t play this game. If you look at the film, clearly I can. So, I’ll leave it at that. . . .

“Dancing with the Stars is my employer. That’s my main source of income. … I’m unemployed, and I don’t believe I’m out of the NFL because I’m gay. But if it was a reason, it can hurt their livelihood, and you don’t want to take that chance.”

Regardless his personal life, Sam’s lack of prototype size and speed is the primary reason he doesn’t have a spot on an NFL roster at the moment. He was a good college pass-rusher (11.5 sacks and the SEC defensive player of the year), and a stint in Canada might help him put together enough game tape to get another shot at the NFL.

And if he does, perhaps others will join him in his openness.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After running an already disappointing 4.73 40 at the rookie combine, he ran a 5.01 and 5.03 at the veteran combine. I think that sank his chances of making it with an NFL team. If I were him, I'd look at the CFL.

Or, I'd save my brain and go ahead and start cashing in on his celebrity while it still lasts, like being on DWTS.

No way to know or prove this, but does anybody think Sam might have at least made the team somewhere as a special teams guy IF he had stayed in the closet ?

He had the kind of preseason that earns you the 52nd or 53rd spot on a roster. The odds were already stacked against him on making the rams with their deep D-line rotation though. They really didn't do him a favor by drafting him, it was an uphill battle for any rookie d-lineman to make that squad.

This is a league that just last week had teams falling all over themselves to sign a guy accused of beating up his girlfriend while laying on a bed of guns. I find it hard to believe that no team would sign Sam because of his sexuality. If he could play like Greg Hardy, teams would be lining up around the block.

Michael Sam killed himself in the veteran combine. People were saying that is was a slow field, but that itme was terrible. He is slow and weak. I have not seen him get any faster or stronger, which is what he needs to do to play in this league. He had a **** of a preseason, which I thought he should have been signed on, but I do not think he is good enough for people to deal with the drama that comes with him.

It still astounds me that people believe the only reason he isn't being given a shot is his sexual preference. I'm not saying the dude could never play in the league, but to pretend he isn't fighting an uphill battle is to ignore the obvious. He's just not that talented.

It still astounds me that people believe the only reason he isn't being given a shot is his sexual preference. I'm not saying the dude could never play in the league, but to pretend he isn't fighting an uphill battle is to ignore the obvious. He's just not that talented.

I don't think he'll ever play another snap (did he even play one) in the NFL. If he wants to be involved in football, he should play in the CFL or try to get on with the NFL corp office. They would probably love to have him on in some capacity.

No way to know or prove this, but does anybody think Sam might have at least made the team somewhere as a special teams guy IF he had stayed in the closet ?

Without question. Even if he hadn't panned out in the league there is literally NO WAY he has the Senior year he has, performs like he did in preseason and doesn't make a roster anywhere.

Lesson learned to the gay prospects: Come out after your playing days are done or almost done like Jon Amechi and Jason Collins. The NFL isn't ready.

I give you gentlemen Kerry Rhodes and his lover... now tell me Mr Sam.. what is the difference here? Talent.. it was well known Kerry was gay. Talent is your ******* issue

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kerry+Rhodes&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CIUVVai_GMHVggSylILYAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=320&bih=407

You realize that didn't come out until about a year ago and Kerry Rhodes didn't get a sniff in the league after it came out. Of course people claimed he was an "aging veteran" but that dude was plenty good enough to be on a roster. Like I said, people can deny it all they want but it's pretty obvious the league isn't ready for it.

This is a league that just last week had teams falling all over themselves to sign a guy accused of beating up his girlfriend while laying on a bed of guns. I find it hard to believe that no team would sign Sam because of his sexuality. If he could play like Greg Hardy, teams would be lining up around the block.

Guys in the locker room aren't outraged about things like that. They just aren't. Never have been. Terrell Suggs, Warren Moon, etc. The list is a mile long with guys that have had domestic violence issues and it's never been a real topic of conversation until the Ray Rice incident because it was caught on tape. I don't think that's a great comparison because guys in a locker room don't really care about domestic abuse enough to be truly uncomfortable in the locker room.

Guys in the locker room aren't outraged about things like that. They just aren't. Never have been. Terrell Suggs, Warren Moon, etc. The list is a mile long with guys that have had domestic violence issues and it's never been a real topic of conversation until the Ray Rice incident because it was caught on tape. I don't think that's a great comparison because guys in a locker room don't really care about domestic abuse enough to be truly uncomfortable in the locker room.

If they don't care who a teammate is beating up at home, why should they care about who he's sleeping with at home?

If they don't care who a teammate is beating up at home, why should they care about who he's sleeping with at home?

You're asking me to make sense about something that makes no sense. Does not make it any less true though. We're going to act like guys aren't homophobic in that culture? Of course they shouldn't care about it but...they do. Sophomoric attitudes about something they don't understand I guess and convinced that "the gay" will spread or that they're going to attack them.

You're asking me to make sense about something that makes no sense. Does not make it any less true though. We're going to act like guys aren't homophobic in that culture? Of course they shouldn't care about it but...they do. Sophomoric attitudes about something they don't understand I guess and convinced that "the gay" will spread or that they're going to attack them.

But the locker room isn't making personnel decisions. If Sam could play, an team executive would sign him and tell the homophobic players to deal with it.

But the locker room isn't making personnel decisions. If Sam could play, an team executive would sign him and tell the homophobic players to deal with it.

So now we're going to pretend that executives don't make decisions on how it's going to go over in the locker room or how the coach thinks it's going to go over? Like I said, I get that people may feel it's more about his talent than anything but I think people aren't being genuine with a lot of the arguments when it comes to Sam. Acting like he's the first undersized LB or pass rusher with a 40 time that wasn't great. Now we're going to act like GMs and the parties responsible for making decisions aren't thinking about "distractions" or how it will be received in the locker room? Come on, we know that's horsesh*t.

It's unfortunate, but guys should still just stay in the closet until they're playing days are over if they want to ensure they'll be in the league. Kerry Rhodes got outed and hasn't played an NFL down since. Not because he couldn't play.

So now we're going to pretend that executives don't make decisions on how it's going to go over in the locker room or how the coach thinks it's going to go over? Like I said, I get that people may feel it's more about his talent than anything but I think people aren't being genuine with a lot of the arguments when it comes to Sam. Acting like he's the first undersized LB or pass rusher with a 40 time that wasn't great. Now we're going to act like GMs and the parties responsible for making decisions aren't thinking about "distractions" or how it will be received in the locker room? Come on, we know that's horsesh*t.

It's unfortunate, but guys should still just stay in the closet until they're playing days are over if they want to ensure they'll be in the league. Kerry Rhodes got outed and hasn't played an NFL down since. Not because he couldn't play.

His 40 time wasn't great? 5.1 is what offensive tackles run. It's all a moot point because he clearly isn't an NFL caliber player, but I still refuse to believe that the entire league would blackball a guy who could legitimately play given all of the scumbags that they have welcomed with open arms.

His 40 time wasn't great? 5.1 is what offensive tackles run. It's all a moot point because he clearly isn't an NFL caliber player, but I still refuse to believe that the entire league would blackball a guy who could legitimately play given all of the scumbags that they have welcomed with open arms.

He ran a 4.9 at the combine, which is poor but are we STILL going to pretend that D linemen and rush ends aren't frequently in the 4.6-4.9 range? I'm not going to waste time digging but seriously GB you know for the 4.55 pass rusher there are plenty of guys in the 4.8-4.9 range. Pretty sure James Harrison (not drafted but clearly had a great career) ran a 5.2.

ETA: 40 times from this year's draft prospects and draft projections. Everyone isn't Jadaveon Clowney in the 40 at that position. Not a huge issue if they show they can get to the QB.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2015OLB.php

Like I said, people are being extremely disingenuous with this "Sam is the worst prospect" talk so it makes sense to ignore what he did when he was actually on the field. That's fine though, but I call BS.