Coaching Up In The Nfl.

peterpiper

I hear a lot of people talking about our former coach and how he did not coach up his players or put them in the wrong positions and this makes me want to scream. Obviously these people have never played professional football. A head coach does NOT coach up in the NFL. As a matter of fact MOST NCAA coaches do NOT coach up. Ex. Urban Meyer makes each of his position coaches responsible for their players. Where they are. Their grades. Keeping them out of trouble. Etc. Urban has meetings with coaches and they report to him what is going on. Urban is not out there teaching tackling technique. Saban same way at Alabama. So when I hear someone say this it grates me. And if this theory is correct what happened the years Smitty was 13-3? Was he coaching up then? Stupid argument and an excuse by poor Falcons front office to protect their jobs. Absolutely ridiculous. You win in the NFL on talent not coaching just like NBA. This is evidenced by coaches like Shanahan that have talent at Denver and win a Superbowl and then go to Washington with no talent and cant win crap. TALENT not coaching wins in the NFL. Until Falcons get a new front office whoever the head coach is is irrelevant.

So a coach that goes 13-3 and then 7-9 just woke up one morning and forgot how to coach? Or did a front office make a irrational move and sign a QB to too much money and had to make up for it by letting go of all of our good talent. Then coaching staff had to scramble to make ends meet with sub standard talent? Clabo, Abraham, several key pieces all let go. And Smitty was left with absolute garbage. And now a fan base is supposed to have confidence in the same front office personel? Seriously? And it is not just me. Sports Illustrated ranked the Falcons 31 out of 32 teams in terms of talent on roster last year. 31 out of 32. So how do we have the SAME people still drafting and picking free agents and building our roster? Durant? Biermann? Look at the free agent signings. Outside of Clayborn and Tamme they are all wasted money. Same issues continuing at Flowery Branch.

My football knowledge tells me if you have a team that has this many holes on a roster you don't have the same people responsible for drafting or free agency. Doesn't take Bear Bryant to see that. Sports Illustrated ranked Falcons roster 31 out of 32 teams in regards to worst talented rosters in NFL so I support my claims with fact not emotion.

So a coach that goes 13-3 and then 7-9 just woke up one morning and forgot how to coach? Or did a front office make a irrational move and sign a QB to too much money and had to make up for it by letting go of all of our good talent. Then coaching staff had to scramble to make ends meet with sub standard talent? Clabo, Abraham, several key pieces all let go. And Smitty was left with absolute garbage. And now a fan base is supposed to have confidence in the same front office personel? Seriously? And it is not just me. Sports Illustrated ranked the Falcons 31 out of 32 teams in terms of talent on roster last year. 31 out of 32. So how do we have the SAME people still drafting and picking free agents and building our roster? Durant? Biermann? Look at the free agent signings. Outside of Clayborn and Tamme they are all wasted money. Same issues continuing at Flowery Branch.

Please explain oh great one what good talent was let go because of Ryan's contract? Edited by nomak

I'm no fan of the front office either but your claim that coaches don't develop or coach up players is ridiculous. There are numerous reasons a team can go from a winning season to a losing season the next year the least of which being the amount of talent on the roster. Also no contract the FO has given out has crippled the team as we have entered every offseason with an 8 figure cap space.

Please explain oh great one what good talent was let go because of Ryan's contract?

Yeah I don't know how many times we have to say it but no one was cut because of Ryan's contract.

The problem is that the 'talent evaluators,' (which includes coaches), seriously overestimated the talent on the o-line and changing the strength and conditioning coach seemed to coincide with many more injuries to many more players.

I hear a lot of people talking about our former coach and how he did not coach up his players or put them in the wrong positions and this makes me want to scream. Obviously these people have never played professional football. A head coach does NOT coach up in the NFL. As a matter of fact MOST NCAA coaches do NOT coach up. Ex. Urban Meyer makes each of his position coaches responsible for their players. Where they are. Their grades. Keeping them out of trouble. Etc. Urban has meetings with coaches and they report to him what is going on. Urban is not out there teaching tackling technique. Saban same way at Alabama. So when I hear someone say this it grates me. And if this theory is correct what happened the years Smitty was 13-3? Was he coaching up then? Stupid argument and an excuse by poor Falcons front office to protect their jobs. Absolutely ridiculous. You win in the NFL on talent not coaching just like NBA. This is evidenced by coaches like Shanahan that have talent at Denver and win a Superbowl and then go to Washington with no talent and cant win crap. TALENT not coaching wins in the NFL. Until Falcons get a new front office whoever the head coach is is irrelevant.

Because you could do better...... Right?