Sean Payton

SuperAINTSfan

"With regards to Jimmy, [we received] a pick that's later in the first round and a player that we identified (center Max Unger), so it's kind of two checks there. You're getting an interior lineman, which is one of these musts that we're discussing. You're also getting a first-round pick that you can hopefully help put towards one of your other needs or musts. Obviously we've gotta get better on defense. So there's a give and take there, and obviously there's that challenge in parting with a real good football player like Jimmy."

The Saints have beefed up their interior offensive line with Unger and invested heavily in running backs Mark Ingram and C.J. Spiller this offseason. Payton said it's not part of a specific plan to change the offensive philosophy. But Payton and Loomis have both stressed that the Saints have been confident in their consistent ability to generate a top offense, even while many of the playmakers have changed around Brees.

“He’s physical. He’s the most explosive player on the field a lot of times when you’re watching him. And you know, he’s someone who’s been in the AFC, he’s not someone we see a lot of on film. So he’s an exciting player that clearly heading into free agency there wasn’t any thought about, and then after that first rush there was some interest. And I think to his agent’s credit, they looked at it from a ‘how he was going to be used’ standpoint, the system, the offense and wanting to be a part of it. And we feel the same way.”

When asked how Spiller compares to another former Saints dual threat, Darren Sproles, Payton said there are some similarities and differences.

“I think that Darren’s got this unique quickness that, 10 steps can take place in a second. Spiller can hit the edge and all of sudden go 80,” Payton said. “And you see a [passing game] route tree from Darren that’s pretty encompassing, and then from CJ you see X-number of routes [in how he was used in Buffalo]. So I’m anxious to see some of the things he can do in the passing game.

“I think [spiller] is a little bit bigger. But they are both playmakers that are explosive, so there will be a lot of similarities that way. ... I would say the thing that’s most apparent, though, is I know how much Darren loves playing, and you can tell you get that feel from C.J. as well. I mean it’s everything to him. You can’t put a value on that enough. They really love playing, and that’s contagious.”

The New Orleans Saints have been in talks with defensive end Cameron Jordan about a long-term contract extension, according to coach Sean Payton.

No deal is imminent, but Payton told reporters at the NFL owners meetings in Phoenix that the team considers Jordan part of the “solution” going forward . And the team would like to work something out long term since the former first-round draft pick is heading into the final year of his deal.

An extension also could offer some salary-cap relief for the Saints, since Jordan is playing under a one-year, $6.969 million contract that all counts against the 2015 cap. That’s the amount of the fifth-year option the Saints chose to extend last year.

It's pretty obvious they made a lotta these offseason moves to improve the defense and interior lines. Despite what the know-nothings claim...you build a good team from the inside...out, or frontside...back, on both sides of the ball, with quarterback being the only exception simply because they're so hard to find.

It's pretty obvious they made a lotta these offseason moves to improve the defense and interior lines. Despite what the know-nothings claim...you build a good team from the inside...out, or frontside...back, on both sides of the ball, with quarterback being the only exception simply because they're so hard to find.

I agree, one thing the Cowboys of the 90's had was a beastly line on both sides of the ball, particularly their O-Line.

We shall see. I'm excited to see what my guys put our their. Last year was more than a little bit humbling, so maybe this team will be focused.

I agree, one thing the Cowboys of the 90's had was a beastly line on both sides of the ball, particularly their O-Line.

We shall see. I'm excited to see what my guys put our their. Last year was more than a little bit humbling, so maybe this team will be focused.

Last season, the Saints lack of leadership on defense was quite apparent.

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Last season, the Saints lack of leadership on defense was quite apparent.

Again, I agree. Last year our offense as erratic as it was, got the lead late in the 4th on several occasions only to have our D give up 70+ yard drives that ended in TDs or game tying/winning FGs. And that horrible 4th and 19 play against the 49ers where Colin Kaepernick, whose release is uglier than Charles Barkley's golf swing, threw a wounded duck pass that was in the air long enough for me to do my taxes and got converted for a 51-yard gain. That was on the defense COMPLETELY.

Drew has been battered, knocked down, and hit more than ever due to poor line play and yet he STILL led one of the top offenses last year. We were Top 5 in a few offensive categories and Top 10 in others, meanwhile our defense was 28-31st in most defensive stats. And folks wanted to put the onus on Brees. Yes, he had a few bad INTs, mind-numbingly dumb ones but you can't have a D consistently in the bottom and blame the QB who is one of the few reasons you were able to win any games.

Don't think people will play that crap with Browner from everything I hear about him.

I saw on a Patriot forum they used to put Revis on the offenses #2 receiver and remove him from the game. Then they would put Browner on the #1 receiver with a Safety over the top of him. Browner, being as big as he is, would beat the crap out of the receiver inside of 5 yards. It was a very effective scheme. Routes were disrupted and the Dline had more time to pressure the QB.

They Saints could do this with Lewis and the Safety combo of Byrd and Vaccaro.

I saw on a Patriot forum they used to put Revis on the offenses #2 receiver and remove him from the game. Then they would put Browner on the #1 receiver with a Safety over the top of him. Browner, being as big as he is, would beat the crap out of the receiver inside of 5 yards. It was a very effective scheme. Routes were disrupted and the Dline had more time to pressure the QB.

They Saints could do this with Lewis and the Safety combo of Byrd and Vaccaro.

No fly zo.....nevermind

Don't think people will play that crap with Browner from everything I hear about him.

He's battle tested and is an unquestionable leader. His strong suit is press play where he gets to jam receivers at the line and that's where we'll likely see him all season. If Vaccaro can get back to 2013 form and Byrd can stay healthy I like our secondary. The only pos I'm worried about is the nickel bk, I like Breaux there but maybe we'll add someone in the draft, let's not forget about SJB and Dixon though, SP and Co knew SJB was a developmental player when they took him, hopefully it pays off this year.