Stay Away From Energy Drinks!

Nono

I have been drinking Redbull for the last 3 months because it isn't as acidic as coffee and frankly gets me going quicker in the morning, well all that was fine till yesterday. My heart started beating over 200 times per minute and ended up at the ER till they brought it back down.

It was scary and I was confused till I realized what I had done to myself.

I am in decent shape, middle-aged no previous heart or health problems then boom.

My strong advice to you is stay away from them!! I can't believe now knowing what I do that they are even being sold in stores--huge health risk.

Edited by Nono

I have been drinking Redbull for the last 3 months because it isn't as acidic as coffee and frankly gets me going quicker in the morning, well all that was fine till yesterday. My heart started beating over 200 times per minute and ended up at the ER till they brought it back down.

It was scary and I was confused till I realized what I had done to myself.

I am in decent shape, middle-aged no previous heart or health problems then boom.

My strong advice to you is stay away from them!! I can't believe now knowing what I do that they are even being sold in stores--huge health risk.

dam it I meant to post in ABF

I remember drinking a 5 hour energy a few years ago in attempt to keep me awake so I could finish my college work for my business degree which was due later that morning. I drunk one bottle and it did nothing. I then drunk a second one.

I was pacing back and forth around the house for about 3 hours until I passed out and woke up on the floor later that day. Didn't even finish my work.

I was really messed up.

did your doctor directly correlate the energy drinks to your problem? how many fl oz do you usually drink?

iunno, I just finished a 7 month deployment pretty much alternating water and energy drinks, never had anything like that happen

I think it may be because I am 40 and in ok health--not young anymore when I could have a few frinks and be at work the next day

I have worked in cardiology for 15 years and it's been my experience that while overdoing the caffeine can certainly cause arrhythmias, other things are more often to blame when young people come in with that problem. Many times it's due to dehydration or electrolyte imbalances. In rare cases, electrical pre-excitation syndromes like Wolff-Parkinson-White are to blame.

Anyway, those tend to be more likely causes than one energy drink every morning.

You know you ask why they are sold in stores when they can cause heart problems.

it should be common sense too much caffeine is not a good thing.

however alcohol is sold everywhere and that has worse effects than any energy drink.

alcohol impairs your ability on multiple levels whereas energy drinks heighten it for a short time until you crash (if you do crash)

I have worked in cardiology for 15 years and it's been my experience that while overdoing the caffeine can certainly cause arrhythmias, other things are more often to blame when young people come in with that problem. Many times it's due to dehydration or electrolyte imbalances. In rare cases, electrical pre-excitation syndromes like Wolff-Parkinson-White are to blame.

Anyway, those tend to be more likely causes than one energy drink every morning.

Yep thats true if you don't have any underlying issues, but **** who knows. I know it's wrong but I'm 50 and haven't gotten a check up once and rarely go to the doctor, unless it's something major. Got to imagine that is how it is for most men especially when you are younger, you feel fine and something potentially harmful goes unnoticed. Therefore unless you get regular check ups might be a better idea to stick with ginseng and B-12. LOL I like to believe I did so much damage to my heart, liver lungs and brain in the 80's that it has an barrier of scar tissue that everything bounces off of now. But after seeing what has happen to my Dad, issues can creep up on you pretty fast, going to have to go in just for peace of mind.

When dieting I have taken Hydroxy-Cut in capsule form and it has driven my heart rate up around 120 or 130. It usually runs about 90 anyway.

Some that stuff makes my heart rate zoom and some doesn't, took Ephedra before it was banned in the 2000's and lost weight big time but **** sometimes it was worse than a cocaine binge weekend in the 80's.

Not saying that energy drinks are healthy. In fact, most of them are pretty awful for you. But one a day is most likely not going to be the cause of arrhythmias.

The doctors and I think this is the cause--did enzyme test, ekg, and going in for an echo---

pretty sure its all the caffeine and other crud in those drinks--thats in my body anyway--gonna drink water instead now

Edited by Nono

Does it contain guarana? Most of them do:

Guarana is a plant named for the Guarani tribe in the Amazon, who used the seeds to brew a drink. Today, guarana seeds are still used as medicine.

Guarana is used for weight loss, to enhance athletic performance, as a stimulant, and to reduce mental and physical fatigue. It is a frequent addition to energy and weight loss products.

Some people also use guarana to treat low blood pressure and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), and to prevent malaria and dysentery. It is also used to enhance sexual desire, to increase urine flow, and as an astringent.

Other uses include treatment of ongoing diarrhea, fever, heart problems, headache, joint pain, backache, and heat stress.

In food manufacturing, guarana has been used as a flavoring ingredient in beverages and candy.

How does it work?

Guarana contains caffeine. Caffeine works by stimulating the central nervous system (CNS), heart, and muscles. Guarana also contains theophylline and theobromine, which are chemicals similar to caffeine.

I work day shifts Monday through Thursday and the overnight shift on weekends. Because of that, my sleep schedule is atrocious and I rely on Red Bulls to keep me alive on weekends. This isn't even including my full-time college schedule. I would do coffee, but can't for religious reasons.

I've averaged 2 Red Bulls a week for the last 5 years. Outside of being 5'10 and 205 pounds, I think I'm generally a healthy guy.

Why is coffee not allowed while Red Bull is kosher?