Does San Fran, Baltimore, Seattle, Denver, Pittsburg,green Bay, New Engalnd, Have A $15 Millon Dollar Receiver?

peterpiper

I'm of the addage of keeping and paying my best players.

Off loading them when there is NO need to me is ridiculous and replace them with what.There is this huge assumption here that by off loading Juilo we can go fix the defense because we'll have all this money.

I disagree with that completely elite players get elite money there's no way around it.We have plenty of cap room to do it and in all essense this won't affect the team at all of getting guys Quinn wants.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First off my post here is referencing that none of the above franchises (who have a more successful Lombardi trophy history than us BTW) put that much money into their WR position. My post last week was in reference to not re-signing Julio so again this is not against the rules of the web site. Secondly, for those people that are saying we have the money to invest to keep one of our best players. I would like to say, I see this two ways, yes Julio is one of your better players. But is that much money in a WR position money well spent? NO. This money needs to be invested in balancing out a roster that is pathetic. Our o-line is a joke, our d-line is a joke, and our best linebacker was an undrafted player. So instead of making the same mistake franchises like Detroit, Cinn, and other perennial LOSERS make. Why don't we run our ship like perennial WINNERS for once. Put the money where it needs to go. O-line, D-line, LB, and TE. New England has shown you can pick a RB off the freaking street and he will be successful with a good o-line. And you don't need a stud WR if your QB has a line to stand behind and go thru his progressions.

It's just crazy enough to work!

Tell you what sometimes I wonder round here.

Act like there's another Julio Jones sitting round in college or FA hahahahaha.

People keep talking about his injuries yesthey are a concern I will conceed that.

BUT is the GB game on MNF last year or his 2012 NFCCG game performance not a clue here what we have as a talent.Injuries be damned I'm resigning this guy and taking the risk and am not blinking an eyelid doing it.

I'm of the addage of keeping and paying my best players.

Off loading them when there is NO need to me is ridiculous and replace them with what.There is this huge assumption here that by off loading Juilo we can go fix the defense because we'll have all this money.

I disagree with that completely elite players get elite money there's no way around it.We have plenty of cap room to do it and in all essense this won't affect the team at all of getting guys Quinn wants.

This free agency illustrates your point even further. This off season with 30 million in cap space lets say we choose to not retain him and he was a free agent this year.. Wtf would we be doing with all of the money he would free up? Julio is a transcendent talent. If people think we could just let him walk and somehow convert that flexibility into anything close to a transcendent talent on defense I think they are missing the main point. Even if we traded him, unless it was some unrealistic trade scenario like Julio for jj Watt, there's just no way for us to ensure that we can get a fair return on him.

Julio is going to be a Falcon for a long time. Get over it.

there have been a lot of players I've thought would be with a particular pro team for a long time only to see them eventually leave. Not saying it's happening in the near future but I don't think JJ will be a career Falcon.

*he's a Falcon now and you'd like him to stay but some team comes calling with a great offer, I don't think they'd turn it down immediately.

Edited by HotLantaFalcon

GB and Denver have lots of money tied up in WR's

Seattle has a great OL and a QB that seems to pull great plays out of his a**. All their money is on defense

Not sure why San Fran is in the discussion. They had one good year where they beat us by stopping us the last play. Now all their players are quitting as well as their coach hitting the road.

Iceman Ryan, I would trade Julio, get Williams out of USC, OL out of Iowa at #8 and if he is not there then I would get Perryman out of Miami. Williams is THE top D-lineman in this years draft, Scherff from Iowa is THE top O-lineman in this years draft and Perryman is THE top LB in this year's draft. Tennesse will trade the 2nd pick because they want Mariotta who will be available late first round early 2nd. Which is stupid in my opinion because Mettenberger is a fine QB but hey this is Tennessee problem not mine. Trade Julio get the man.

You're either crazy or stupid if you think Perryman is the best. Also, why would teams trade for Julio? If Falcons don't want him then he'll become a FA next off-season.

Graham and Gronk are both going to cost a fortune to retain. Even with Gronk's health history that team was like night and day this season before and after he came back. Thomas also costs over $12 million with the franchise tag and the safe money would be on him getting more than that AAV for his next contract. As for the others, Green Bay is paying nearly $20 million AAV on their starting WRs and the other teams you pointed out don't have much talent at the position... the 49ers signed Torrey Smith but he isn't really a #1 WR.

superbowl winners with big time big money stud receivers.... WO or TE

san fran - rice and t.o.

dallas - michael irving and novacek

denver- shannon sharp... cant remember is rod smith was there then or not..

baltimore- anguan boldin - shannon sharp

maybe they didn't make 15mm a year, but those teams all had very good receiving threats

The 15 mil is a pretty recent figure anyway correct? I don't think no WR has ever really made that much before. All skill position prices are going up, and unless you're over paying for mid-tier I don't see the issue.

I'm not saying I condone paying Julio that much, or even want to...but I understand why they would.

No, these teams consistently go to SuperBowls and make play-offs without overpaying WRs. So why would we? Trade Julio to Tennesse and get Leonard Williams out of USC. We need an identity of toughness as a franchise and this guy brings it. Then use #8 pick to get OL out of Iowa or Perryman LB out Miami. We still have Hester, Roddy, and now Hankerson. All serviceable receivers. We don't need Julio. Julio will be constantly hurt throughout his career. Bank on it. And for all you people saying that we need Julio to sell tickets that is incorrect. Winning sells tickets. If Julio caught 14 TDs a year on a 5 to 7 win team no one cares. When we went to the SuperBowl we had Tony Martin and Terrance Mathis. But we played good defense and RAN the football. Back to basics.

Most of those teams had a defense, Pats had Tom Brady, Brady would've loved Julio.

Like it or not Julio Jones is the best player on our team and he's not going anywhere. Dan Quinn already said he wants Jones here for a long time. I don't understand why anyone would suggest trading a top 3-5 WR for an unknown outcome player. The teams mentioned in the headline are all known for drafting well and having top notch coaching. Hopefully our coaching can now join these ranks. If we can put together some great drafts now we will be set.

The 15 mil is a pretty recent figure anyway correct? I don't think no WR has ever really made that much before. All skill position prices are going up, and unless you're over paying for mid-tier I don't see the issue.

I'm not saying I condone paying Julio that much, or even want to...but I understand why they would.

In reality, it's unlikely that Julio's functional cap hits will be $15m a year. Calvin's first three years of his MASSIVE extension (which will be bigger than the extension Julio will get) came with cap hits of $11.5m, $8.7m and $13m. After that, they jumped to higher numbers.

The difference is, the cap continues to increase as revenues continue to grow. So you get to rework his deal in a way that keeps his cap hits around $10m or so for the first three years. With an additional 3 years of cap growth, you're looking at a cap that will be around $170m at a minimum. More than enough money to minimize the effect of later larger cap hits.

Megatron has a higher amount per year than that, Larry Fitzgerald was right at 15 a year prior to his restructure this year. Those are off the top of my head, there are probably a few more though, 15 is not that bad.