Does San Fran, Baltimore, Seattle, Denver, Pittsburg,green Bay, New Engalnd, Have A $15 Millon Dollar Receiver?

peterpiper

You have a semi successful company that has recently fallen on hard times. Luckily you have one solid but expensive product that is doing well despite the rest of the company is doing poo . Are you going to get rid tbat product for cheaper alternatives and risk destroying the only successful thing about your company?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess that question should have been clarified because all those teams have at least 1 wr making 15+ already except green bay.

You need bargain players, either thru draft or savvy FA signings to win a SB. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pay to keep your own. How can so many not recognize that JULIO AFFECTS THE SCOREBOARD.

We aren't cap strapped, we can keep him and still draft and sign more good players.

So, you going to make this thread once a week? You might want to read the spam rules in the COC.

Hey Peterpiper, guess who disagrees completely with you? Dan Quinn. He loves Jones and wants him re-signed. You know, the guy who has final say on the roster? With quotes like :

“The things I’ve heard about him just in terms of the leader he’s become on and off the field, can’t wait to connect with him,” Quinn said, via ESPN.com. “For me, just to have the chance to start the process with him, I can’t wait. … We love great players, and we want to celebrate all the good guys that we have. We’re trying to collect more great players, not the other way around.” linky thing

No, these teams consistently go to SuperBowls and make play-offs without overpaying WRs. So why would we? Trade Julio to Tennesse and get Leonard Williams out of USC. We need an identity of toughness as a franchise and this guy brings it. Then use #8 pick to get OL out of Iowa or Perryman LB out Miami. We still have Hester, Roddy, and now Hankerson. All serviceable receivers. We don't need Julio. Julio will be constantly hurt throughout his career. Bank on it. And for all you people saying that we need Julio to sell tickets that is incorrect. Winning sells tickets. If Julio caught 14 TDs a year on a 5 to 7 win team no one cares. When we went to the SuperBowl we had Tony Martin and Terrance Mathis. But we played good defense and RAN the football. Back to basics.

No, these teams don't have a max dollar receiver, but they do pay their best players the max dollars. Julio is one of the best players on the team, so to keep him you pay an above average salary. You can not rely on an aging Roddy...You can not put the pressure on Hester to be a number 2 (his crucial drops proved that last year), and Hankerson is not legit at all, he just looks the part. Not to mention, as of now the Falcons still have not proven that they can get by with a running game, which they can't. Also, the defense is still garbage until proven otherwise. So why would you trade away a legit scoring threat in the hopes that who you trade him for will actually match the same effort that Julio brings? Why would you do this in hopes that some rookies would come in and play lights out?

You don't *need* an elite anything to win a SB, that's the only thing that's been proven as far as SB's go; no two teams win the same exact way.

You talk about no two teams winning the same way but refuse to point out that there is a constant with Superbowl winners. A defense that doesn't blow it in the playoffs and decent quarterback play. Having those two gives you the best opportunities.

If this front office showed they could build through the draft and craft a tough defense that way, I'd be all for paying Jones big money. I simply don't trust them to execute in such a way that makes the Falcons an exception to documented history. I'd love to be wrong but this front office has left a lot to be desired regarding team building.

You need bargain players, either thru draft or savvy FA signings to win a SB. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pay to keep your own. How can so many not recognize that JULIO AFFECTS THE SCOREBOARD.

We aren't cap strapped, we can keep him and still draft and sign more good players.

Exactly.

You talk about no two teams winning the same way but refuse to point out that there is a constant with Superbowl winners. A defense that doesn't blow it in the playoffs and decent quarterback play. Having those two gives you the best opportunities.

And you can have those things while still having a highly paid WR on the team. We were talking Elite players, yes? You don't absolutely need any single position on the team to be elite to win a SB.

It is because these franchises don't over spend at the WR and invest their money in their Lines, LBs, and TEs. That they are successful. If you do what you always do you get what you always get. I know it is cliché but success in football is built from inside out. O-line, D-line, TE's, LBs. This is where you spend your money. There are 1000s of serviceable receivers and RBs available. WR and RB is where you should spend least amount of money. Who is Green Bays RB? , New Englands? Denver? See a pattern? Money should be in o and d lines. First and foremost.

Tight End?? So that's the secret formula!??

And you can have those things while still having a highly paid WR on the team. We were talking Elite players, yes? You don't absolutely need any single position on the team to be elite to win a SB.

All that I'm getting from your constant word playing is that you are a gambler. Your willing to gamble on this front office being able to build a great team while spending 20 mil on two people on the offensive side of the ball.

Obviously, there is always an exception to the rule but we're talking about this front office being able to do something that doesn't happen often in this league.

I think I get it now. The difference between me and you is that you obviously see Dimitroff and co in a much brighter light than I do. We might as well stop right here because I'm not a gambling man.

All that I'm getting from your constant word playing is that you are a gambler. Your willing to gamble on this front office being able to build a great team while spending 20 mil on two people on the offensive side of the ball.

Obviously, there is always an exception to the rule but we're talking about this front office being able to do something that doesn't happen often in this league.

I think I get it now. The difference between me and you is that you obviously see Dimitroff and co in a much brighter light than I do. We might as well stop right here because I'm not a gambling man.

I see it as more of a gamble to let arguably your best player walk instead of signing him just because you don't want to spend money. You have to spend money on great players to win, what position those players are isn't as important as people make it out to be. You don't let players as good as JJ walk if you can stop it, that's as simple as it gets for me mate, nothing to do with TD. Though if anything, your argument is counting on TD finding other great players, I just want to keep the one we already have.

First of all, giving up almost an entire Draft to aquire Jones was pure insanity. A WR will never be on the field enough to warrant that kind of outrageous cost.

Next, to pay him a fortune to keep him around just continues the lunacy.

I respectfully disagree. If we where to fail to retain Julio, the bounty we gave up to get him would suddenly become even more expensive seemingly. I just think it would basically make an expensive deal look a whole lot worse. It's not like we would be throwing good money after bad, like we did with Baker. Edited by Atlfanstckndenver