Pretty Much The Entire 2013 And 2014 Draft Were Devoted To D

takeitdown

Doing a third in a row is franchise suicide. I understand we need to improve the D...it's critical.

But you can't neglect a side of the ball for 3 straight drafts. That's why we have aging players there and no one to develop under them. And that side being a strength is our only short term hope of relevance.

On the plus side, that means we have 2 full drafts of young guys on D some of whom should be able to become real players. All it takes is a few of guys like Shembo and Goodman to come on to make a real difference.

I think this is the reason a "developmental" coach was the huge focus in the coaching search. We were spending virtually all of our draft resources on defense, and getting zero return.

For a second, since we were the worst defense in the league, imagine we had put draft equity elsewhere, in the offense. Even just 1/2.

So, we'd have a 2nd round TE developing, a 3rd round WR, another 3rd round RB, and a 2nd round OG. The offense would be completely "done" and the defense would be no worse than what it is. So, either these defensive players drafted in the mid rounds need to come along, or the FO needs to change their stance and put the first round to D, and the mid rounds to O.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Right now we only have Babs, Kroy, the FAs, and Willy Mo who have over 3 years in the league. Literally EVERYBODY ELSE is at 3 years or less. There are a dozen guys on defense who could reasonably develop into starting-caliber players, and a handful who could be Pro Bowlers if they get it together.

Our offense is old and the only long-term starter prospects we have are Freeman, Schraeder, and Matthews. Toiolo and Stone may become something, but chances are slim.

I would load this draft up on offense and see who's a keeper on defense this season. For all we know, our defense could be set right now, with one slot open for a LEO at 8.

Our offense is older than people realize.. after our first couple of picks, we need offense.. we need our wr2 of the future, rb of the future, and we can cheat and take Darren Waller who can be our TE of the future or another Freak WR on the outside!

I agree, but the needs on offense aren't truly pressing. We have a QB, 4/5 OL, #1 WR, #2 WR. We just need a LG, TE and RBs.

If we went defense with the first two picks, that doesn't mean we can't address those offensive positions still. Given the offensive scheme, early round RBs aren't a requirement. It's looking like they aren't pressing the issue at TE neither. My favorite offensive player in the draft? Phillip Dorsett. If we take him at #42, watch out.

Even though I hear what you're saying, you can't ignore the deficiencies we have on the defensive side of the ball, still to this day.

Remember, we lost the NFC Championship to the 49ers bc we couldn't stop them on defense. And what have we done since that time to say we're in a better place defensively? We have Tru & that's pretty much it. That's not enough.

I think it's imperative that we come out of this draft with a true pass rusher and not somebody who we think we can turn into one. We don't have the luxury like other teams to experiment with picks.

On the surface I totally understand where you're coming from because you're right, but the truth is we haven't done a good job drafting the right players.

Even though I hear what you're saying, you can't ignore the deficiencies we have on the defensive side of the ball, still to this day.

Remember, we lost the NFC Championship to the 49ers bc we couldn't stop them on defense. And what have we done since that time to say we're in a better place defensively? We have Tru & that's pretty much it. That's not enough.

I think it's imperative that we come out of this draft with a true pass rusher and not somebody who we think we can turn into one. We don't have the luxury like other teams to experiment with picks.

On the surface I totally understand where you're coming from because you're right, but the truth is we haven't done a good job drafting the right players.

But what would have constituted the "right" picks?

Nobody on the face of this earth could understand what Smitty and Nolan were trying to do schemewise. That makes a GM's job, to buy the groceries, very hard because he has no clue what recipe his chef is making and what the "right" ingredients he needs would be.

I truly believe they wanted to run a 4-3 Under, but neither had any idea because it's not in their background so they got stuck midway and had no clue what to do. The second Saints game shows me there was talent but the scheme was in the way. Quinn not making many more moves backs that up too. I mean seriously, the moved a DE/OLB to MLB and a 3T to DE. Up was down with these guys.

We need more talent on offense but where is our offense old? Matt Ryan will be 30 this year so he has 7 more prime years left. Our Left Tackle is what - like 23 years old? our star WR is like 26.

I agree w/ you that we need much more talent on offense - starting or tandem RB, a guy to take over #2 WR duties (to groom) - a starting TE - more talent on the O-Line.

where are the aging players though outside of Roddy?

But what would have constituted the "right" picks?

Nobody on the face of this earth could understand what Smitty and Nolan were trying to do schemewise. That makes a GM's job, to buy the groceries, very hard because he has no clue what recipe his chef is making and what the "right" ingredients he needs would be.

I truly believe they wanted to run a 4-3 Under, but neither had any idea because it's not in their background so they got stuck midway and had no clue what to do. The second Saints game shows me there was talent but the scheme was in the way. Quinn not making many more moves backs that up too. I mean seriously, the moved a DE/OLB to MLB and a 3T to DE. Up was down with these guys.

Drawing the conclusion it was a scheme issue because we beat a terrible saints team is premature.

We were not absolutely last in defense in 2013 even with all the injuries and rookies starting on defense. In 2014 TD continued to address the defense with picks and free agents and we took another step backwards.

Talent is a big issue.

Drawing the conclusion it was a scheme issue because we beat a terrible saints team is premature.

We were not absolutely last in defense in 2013 even with all the injuries and rookies starting on defense. In 2014 TD continued to address the defense with picks and free agents and we took another step backwards.

Talent is a big issue.

I get tired of people always blaming the scheme. Yes, the scheme was part of the problem. The refusal to play younger/better players was a problem. But a huge undeniable issue is the lack of talent. I've said it. Others here have said it. Heck Brian Billick even said it. Basically, TD has pissed away three consecutive drafts, save one or two solid contributors. But yet and still, you can't question him here on the message board in fear of being called a whiner!! Forget that.

Trying to "scheme" our way out of this current situation would be a mistake. Drafting talented players should be this teams focusing. Not masking talent deficiencies through schemes, i.e., the zone blocking scheme. I think it will definitely help our run game. We just need to acquire talented players to execute it. Not players off the scrap heap.

I get tired of people always blaming the scheme. Yes, the scheme was part of the problem. The refusal to play younger/better players was a problem. But a huge undeniable issue is the lack of talent. I've said it. Others here have said it. Heck Brian Billick even said it. Basically, TD has pissed away three consecutive drafts, save one or two solid contributors. But yet and still, you can't question him here on the message board in fear of being called a whiner!! Forget that.

Trying to "scheme" our way out of this current situation would be a mistake. Drafting talented players should be this teams focusing. Not masking talent deficiencies through schemes, i.e., the zone blocking scheme. I think it will definitely help our run game. We just need to acquire talented players to execute it. Not players off the scrap heap.

Blows my mind how many different mocks we come up with on here that end up being wayy better than TD's actual Drafts.. Could it be a case of too much information being a problem from our front office? We have limited resources on these guys and go by film only pretty much, with no other insights.. How is it we are able to spot what our GM and coaches can't?

I agree. While I claim ZERO love for Mike Smith - Mike Nolan was a very good defensive coordinator in the NFL for 20+ years - he could come up with exotic schemes and had run the 3-4 and the 4-3 - at every other stop he had good defenses - Giants, Ravens, Dolphins, Broncos - but not in Atlanta.......why? because of extremely poor talent. Everybody on this board that thinks "if we run the Seattle Defense with our players" - we will be fine - big mistake.

I love the Seattle scheme because it is aggressive and fairly simple - but turning this defense over save a handful of players - is essential. We don't have any stars now but we have some nice pieces in Trufant, Hageman, WillyMo, and now some of the new free agents who hopefully will contribute - Brooks Reed, Justin Durant, O'Brein Schofield and Adrian Clayborn.

Falcons need at least two more defensive starters out of this draft - the defense is a "two year rebuild" so we are not going to be worldbeaters this year - even if we do everything right - we just need to see a jump this year from #32 ranked defense to about #18 or so - and then leap up again the following year.

The right players are guys like Tru and Hageman. Was Hageman a guy that the Falcons "needed" when they drafted him in the 2nd round? No, because we still needed a pass rusher (and still do), but we went with talent over conventional thinking.

On this team, when it comes to the defense, we need to be more dedicated to adding more talent than just targets. Adding targets get you locked in on guys like Jamal Anderson, even when someone like Patrick Willis is still available.

On offense, we can be a little bit more precise in our draft approach bc we have had more success on that side of the ball. I just hope Quinn brings a different approach to drafting players than before. That's my biggest hope.

Edited by uga_falcons_braves

Blows my mind how many different mocks we come up with on here that end up being wayy better than TD's actual Drafts.. Could it be a case of too much information being a problem from our front office? We have limited resources on these guys and go by film only pretty much, with no other insights.. How is it we are able to spot what our GM and coaches can't?

I do think it is information overload with this crew. Just watch the college games and film. All that force plate shittt is irrelevant. Can he play? That's all I want to know. Edited by rollo lawson

But a huge undeniable issue is the lack of talent. I've said it. Others here have said it. Heck Brian Billick even said it. Basically, TD has pissed away three consecutive drafts, save one or two solid contributors. But yet and still, you can't question him here on the message board in fear of being called a whiner!! Forget that.

I'd argue having bad drafts is franchise suicide. But that's just me.

We need talent everywhere. Offense and defense. When you are a team that doesn't draft well, you obviously need talent. With or without a franchise quarterback.

It's a MUST for any team that wants to go all the way to have a good defense. I don't care how good the offense is or what quarterback is throwing the ball, you gotta have a defense. The last three Superbowl winners have had some semblance of a good defense with actual talent on it. Those defenses didn't rely on scheme + mediocre talent.

As long as we have good drafts going forward, we'll be fine. Teams constantly find ways to fill offensive positions like OG and WR positions of the draft outside of the first two rounds.

Well thats what happens when you draft a bunch of developmental players. Plus we really havent just drafted d players in both drafts.

Matthews was our first pick and the yr before that was tru and alford which cam as a surprise since TD hasnt drafted a d player higher then the 3rd round since 08..

I agree with you! There is a reason why coaches receive less money than blue chip players!

Owners and GM's know talent is the biggest deciding factor in terms of wins.

Arguably the best coach in the league Bill Belichick makes 7.5 million a year. His QB makes twice as much money.

Believing a coach can come in a turn a bunch of below average players into a playoff team is ridiculous. All the coaches on the NFL level are smart and knowledgeable.

Man oh man...

I read this whole thread. It's a good one. Good points all around.

The thought that I can't shake now though:

How in the world does Thomas Dimitroff still have a job?

Man. This roster is BLEAK.

He conned Blank into thinking it was all Smitty's failure to develop the talent.

We need more talent on offense but where is our offense old? Matt Ryan will be 30 this year so he has 7 more prime years left. Our Left Tackle is what - like 23 years old? our star WR is like 26.

I agree w/ you that we need much more talent on offense - starting or tandem RB, a guy to take over #2 WR duties (to groom) - a starting TE - more talent on the O-Line.

where are the aging players though outside of Roddy?

We are aging (or non existent) at the skill positions if we are to remain a top offense at all.

I agree with you that we don't need a ton of offensive players, that's why it's criminal not to get the few to help. Everyone and their mother on the draft board was screaming for Martavis Bryant in the 4th (I wanted a WR in the 3rd) and even that would have helped.

We have zero talent at TE, age at WR (an injury prone 1, an old 2, and an aging punt returner 3, and then UDFAs.) We have nothing at RB (a combined 250 carries ever).

So, I'm not saying the offense needs an overhaul. I'm saying what ails this offense could be fixed with 4 solid 3rd rounders (a TE, a WR, a RB, an OG). Or, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounder and vet OG.

That's why it's so frustrating. I thought we were taking some of these guys in the mid rounds the last few years.

If we let out offense drop from elite to average, we will be a poor team. Being able to have a good chance at a fix, and have developing talent that shields you against Julio injuries, and Roddy's age related decline, is only common sense.

Well thats what happens when you draft a bunch of developmental players. Plus we really havent just drafted d players in both drafts.

Matthews was our first pick and the yr before that was tru and alford which cam as a surprise since TD hasnt drafted a d player higher then the 3rd round since 08..

When was Moore drafted, weatherspoon, Peria?

My favorite offensive player in the draft? Phillip Dorsett. If we take him at #42, watch out.

dude, I swear it's almost like we share a brain. I was pretty big on #4 but once I saw him at the senior bowl practices and how he was having his way with DBs, I probably would take him in the second round, draft grade be d@mned. I can just imagine him and Antone on the field at the same time

I agree with you! There is a reason why coaches receive less money than blue chip players!

Owners and GM's know talent is the biggest deciding factor in terms of wins.

Arguably the best coach in the league Bill Belichick makes 7.5 million a year. His QB makes twice as much money.

Believing a coach can come in a turn a bunch of below average players into a playoff team is ridiculous. All the coaches on the NFL level are smart and knowledgeable.

Neglecting the fact that bill makes more than 90% of the team doesn't really prove your point.