No Compensatory Picks For Atlanta

NO team has ever gotten a comp pick if they are in a Net Gain situation, ie, the team has signed more qualified FAs than they lost in a given year.Right now Atlanta is in a Net Gain situation for this year. Yes the Falcons have lost Spoon and Peters, but they have signed Reed, Durant, Hankerson, and Tamme for a Net Gain of a least 2 qualified free agents. The Falcons of also signed several other FAs who probably don't make enough annual compensation to figure into the comp formula, which if they did, would make the Net Gain even more.

NO team has ever gotten a comp pick if they are in a Net Gain situation, ie, the team has signed more qualified FAs than they lost in a given year.Right now Atlanta is in a Net Gain situation for this year. Yes the Falcons have lost Spoon and Peters, but they have signed Reed, Durant, Hankerson, and Tamme for a Net Gain of a least 2 qualified free agents. The Falcons of also signed several other FAs who probably don't make enough annual compensation to figure into the comp formula, which if they did, would make the Net Gain even more.

Yes, And I love getting the proven players more than late rd Iffy's ...

But salary also comes into play. It's not completely based on the number of players. Spoon got a decent payday. But you're right, peter's might be washed away with our pickups and reed might equal out spoon

Don't forget about Robert McClain signing with New England. Plus, we've still got a handful of free agents out there...

Osi Umenyiora

Steven Jackson

Jacquizz Rodgers

Gabe Carimi

Mike Johnson

Josh Wilson

Javier Arenas

Dwight Lowery

Bear Pascoe

Drew Davis

Jonathan Scott

But even if the majority of those guys wind up signing with teams before training camp, I think you're right. It's highly unlikely we get any comp picks next year, as we've signed a lot of outside free agents this offseason, and probably still aren't done.

But salary also comes into play. It's not completely based on the number of players. Spoon got a decent payday. But you're right, peter's might be washed away with our pickups and reed might equal out spoon

Salary can only justify additional compensation in a situation where you have an equal number of players lost and players gained but the players lost represent bigger contracts/etc than the players gained.

Net FA loss = comp picks.

Net FA gain = no comp picks

Net FA 0 = potential for 7th round picks if the value lost exceeds the value gained.

Don't forget about Robert McClain signing with New England. Plus, we've still got a handful of free agents out there...

Osi Umenyiora

Steven Jackson

Jacquizz Rodgers

Gabe Carimi

Mike Johnson

Josh Wilson

Javier Arenas

Dwight Lowery

Bear Pascoe

Drew Davis

Jonathan Scott

But even if the majority of those guys wind up signing with teams before training camp, I think you're right. It's highly unlikely we get any comp picks next year, as we've signed a lot of outside free agents this offseason, and probably still aren't done.

Jackson doesnt count because he was cut. Everyone else is still out there and could sign on with other teams. But at their expected contract value, I wouldnt expect more than a 7th rounder. And thats assuming we dont sign any more players and at least three of these guys get picked up.

I forgot to include Robert McClain as a qualified free agent loss by Atlanta, as virginiafalcon pointed out, but I also forgot to include Clayborn and Schofield as qualified free agents signed by the Falcons thus far this year. Therefore, at the present time, Atlanta appears to have a Net Gain of 3 (Qualified FAs Signed (6): Reed, Durant, Hankerson, Tamme, Clayborn, Schofield; Qualified FAs Lost (3): Spoon, Peters, McClain) Even though the FA period for the comp formula goes until the middle of June, I would think it would be very highly unlikely that the Falcons would get to a Net Loss situation for 2015. Once again I reiterate, NO team has ever received a comp pick if they are in a Net Gain situation in the previous year's FA period. Thus, Atlanta will, in all likelihood, NOT get a comp pick in the 2016 draft either.

I forgot to include Robert McClain as a qualified free agent loss by Atlanta, as virginiafalcon pointed out, but I also forgot to include Clayborn and Schofield as qualified free agents signed by the Falcons thus far this year. Therefore, at the present time, Atlanta appears to have a Net Gain of 3 (Qualified FAs Signed (6): Reed, Durant, Hankerson, Tamme, Clayborn, Schofield; Qualified FAs Lost (3): Spoon, Peters, McClain) Even though the FA period for the comp formula goes until the middle of June, I would think it would be very highly unlikely that the Falcons would get to a Net Loss situation for 2015. Once again I reiterate, NO team has ever received a comp pick if they are in a Net Gain situation in the previous year's FA period. Thus, Atlanta will, in all likelihood, NOT get a comp pick in the 2016 draft either.

I was just looking over Mike Person's Falcons contract on Spotrac. Since Person's average annual salary is over $1.1 million per year, he will probably be over the minimum threshold limit to qualify for the comp formula. Therefore, Mike Person will probably count as another qualified free agent signed by Atlanta, and thus the Falcons Net Gain in Free Agency so far in 2015 probably stands at 4, rather than 3 in the above quote.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/michael-person/